What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Last week I had a '04 V-10 with a very intermittent stalls/no start. It had a P0231(Fuel pump secondary circuit low/this test fails if the PCM commands the fuel pump ON and B+ voltage is not detected on the FPM circuit)So basically this is diagnosed by watching the PCM FP monitor PID. Well of course this truck would not act up on me and I went through the PPT and "NPF". Fuel pump pattern and relay apply current looked fine on my DSO. So time to do little research I found a post from Jim Warman http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/4041-07-expedition-p0231/?hl=p0231 that opened my eyes and will be added to my diagnostic approach tool box. So using this new found info I cleared the codes and KOER I pulled the wire to the IFS I get a P0232,I trip the IFS and same thing P0232. So I think it is safe to say the problem on this vehicle is some where else. I pull the PCM relay and get no codes, well probably a P1000 but the P1000 was still in there from me clearing the codes. I pull the fuel pump fuse and I get a P0231, I found no problem with the FP fuse or terminals. At this point I am pretty confident that pulling the back cover off the CJB is not going to be a waste on my time

20150129_171808.jpg

And now I have found the problem, the circuit board mounted fuel pump relay has a burnt leg :)

• Like 1

2008 F550 6.4L that used to have an under hood compressor. The harness on the right side was moved to accommodate the compressor. The truck is now a picker truck and had the compressor removed, resulting in the harness getting pinched under the air cleaner bracket and shorted out one of the glow plug module 12V feeds. As a result the module would not shut off and it would drain both batteries in 4 hours. It also has a new ACM in it that wasn't configured to the truck and was also causing a battery drain.

Coming in next is a 2015 F350 6.7L that spends it's life in a swamp. Leaking hub seals caused the vacuum pump to suck in a bunch of water, which ruined the pump and then proceeded to fill the entire vacuum system full of oil.

After that I get to change some shift solenoids in the 2009 F550 6.4L I just finished putting an engine in. The fleet doesn't want to go any further than solenoids, they told me if it doesn't fix the missing 3rd gear it gets sent to auction. 

Here's the F350 with the vacuum issues.

Icky. I got a 14 F-350 that keeps going into derate cause the oil temp sensor circuit keeps shorting out. Then I got told that we got an E-series gas under warranty that the trans locks up in reverse. And the other trans guy who started looking at it left for maternity leave today.

The silver 6.0 someone cranked it until the starter burned up, so it needs a starter and then diag.  The 6.4 next to it got all the front end work from earlier in the week, declined the fuel system but okay'd the dipstick tube, thermostats and belt tensioner, it left about 80lbs of dirt in my bay.  The white 6.0 okay'd headgaskets, oil cooler, plus the hpo system upgrades.  The 6.4 F-450 I'm standing on wiped the front driveshaft clean off last week.  They put a used transfer case and shaft in it, tomorrow I need to fix the wires going to the tranny for multiple DTCs and check it for possible overheat.

Here's the F350 with the vacuum issues.

That's only a little bit worse than one I dealt with yesterday. Once I got the hub out with a zip gun it took me prying on the axle shaft where it protrudes from the dust seal while an apprentice massaged the axle/u-joint with a heavy sledge. Fun times!

Interesting that you remove the speed sensor from the hub as opposed to pulling out the 3 bolts, 2 clips and releasing it from the connector. I'm always worried that the darn thing will snap off on its way out - but maybe that's my time spent our east showing itself.

How are you guys doing down there? Still busy? Somehow in Peace River we're still booking about 1.5 weeks in advance.

I have a complete fuel system on a gm 2012 ok'd. The same fleet just brought another truck, 2011 that has a fuel pressure regulator 2 plugged from metal flakes. Pulled regulators and it needs a complete fuel system as well. This particular truck had a fuel system about 100 k ago. Both retail jobs. Have a 450 on my big lift for ball joints, dot and service. The rear egt sensor was just hanging out. Someone had unthreaded it. Causing egt 3 performance code, but no stop safely now message. Has not has 14e03 done yet.

Is it slowing down in Alberta?

I have heard rumors of big lay-offs in the patch. We are a bit slower but not by much. Time will tell. The independent guys are getting a bit more stingy on their repairs, but they still buy new lifted, emission deleted trucks.  :chinrub2:

Update: my front hub repair turned into and complete re-bearing on the front diff.

Fixed the trans harness wires on the 6.4 F-450 that dropped the driveshaft. Drove it down the road and can hear a rotational clicking at slow speeds with the hubs locked in. Ran it up in the air with it in 4wd. The front pinion is bent, they put a new flange, driveshaft and t-case on it and the driveshaft still has a bad wobble. The clicking is coming from inside the front axle.

When it rains it pours: I finally got enough time to put the excursion back together, but I now have a 6.0 in a F-550 waiting for a turbo and 5 injectors. Another 6.0 that supposedly stalls and it had 2 or 3 bad injectors. That e-series trans is still waiting outside. And to top if off I spent a half hour on the phone with hotline this morning arguing with the guy that the P050E on a 2015 6.7 is not being caused by the way the guy uses the truck. Especially since the guy has a 2012 that gets used and garaged the same and doesn't set that code and the parameters for it to set are the same for both trucks. :twack:

I hear you man, I spent all morning looking at a 99 7.3 for a stalls when it's raining out.  Needless to say it's not raining today and spraying down the harnesses in the left front inner fender didn't show anything.  Only code it set in memory was a P0344.  Had to finally give up and ship it.  It did have a Napa cam sensor so I threw a new gray one in under the recall. Also taped up the harness where it rubs the shock tower and left valvecover. 

Here's the results of the cluster fucks that currently reside here.  The silver 6.0 was definitely a hard start after I replaced the starter (gotta wonder why it burned up in the first place), once it finally decided to not be so hydrolocked and run that's what evacuated the engine via tailpipe.  The degas bottle would have doubled for a steam locomotive.

The F-450 with the front pinion I suspected was bent does in fact have some screwed up shit.  Funny all it was making was a clicking noise with the hubs locked in. It's also getting a fan clutch, primary belt tensioner and belt.  Got another 6.0 F-550 getting dropped off tomorrow for a stud job, new heads and a fresh 5R110.  I believe I'm going to install my first trans from the top.  Also think this baby is going to get some new lifters since I'll be able to yank the rear cover. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Found metal in the transmission pan of my F550, the one that just had the engine replaced, they told me to put the pan back on, fill it and park it. I have a feeling they may have me pull the engine and put it in another truck down the road.

Finally getting around to the front axle I've had all week. Scored a Dana 60 gauge tube off eBay for $40 so I ordered the one missing adapter off rotunda earlier in the week. I'll set that shim up with the tools and use my dummy side bearings for the carrier shims. Later on I'm going to post some info I found out about the different Dana 60 side bearings.

Had a 2010 6.4 towed in yesterday from my best fleet customer with a complaint of won't accelerate, runs rough and smokes.  3 codes in it, WIF, #4 contribution and #4 misfire.  When I drove it I did get it to act up once so I hurried back to the shop only to never duplicate the concern again after over 30 miles of driving.  Power balance started going wild, it wasn't a misfire or anything that looked like one cylinder.  My FRP_V is sitting right at .50v about 55 psi koeo.  Fuel trims are starting to look a little wacked out.  This will be the 3rd or 4th of these recently that gave me strange intermittent drivability problems when metal was present in the fuel system.

One thing I did notice was EGR never opened once in all that driving.  Even updated the PCM to the latest cal, is this some kind of cold weather strategy to keep engine temps up?  I have never noticed this before.

One thing I did notice was EGR never opened once in all that driving.  Even updated the PCM to the latest cal, is this some kind of cold weather strategy to keep engine temps up?  I have never noticed this before.

I've noticed that too. I think the 6.0's are the same way.

Just finishing up an 04 excursion, truck has a 10" lift with 38" tires. Head gaskets, studs, egr delete, vgt overhaul, installed an aux bypass oil filter and a coolant filter system, replaced all 4 leaf springs, serviced both diffs, trans and t-case, and a 4 corner brake job. Somehow during this job I hernieated the disc between my l-1 and s-1, which pinched my sciatic nerve. Looks like I'll be off for a few weeks now.

Got an 04 6.0 with a dead fuel pump. I think it's gonna need a handful of injectors too. But of course the customer don't have the money for injectors so they are hoping the fuel pump cures all.

Also got an 05 F150 that I can't get the plugs out of. I broke 3 of the lisle extraction tools and only got one broken plug out. 7 more to go.

Fixed a 2013 F-350 today. None of the climate controls worked, HVAC module was offline. Found the MS-CAN- wire broken about 14-16" away from the DLC. Apparently the ms can - from the HVAC to the DLC is a single wire that's not tied into any other modules. The splice is at the DLC pin so no other modules were effected or even cared.

• Like 1

Just finished installing a Jasper "complete" 6.4 into an 08 F-550. Jasper's definition of complete equals sending you a long block with both turbos, injectors, and high pressure pump in a separate box. No gaskets, lines, or any other fuel system parts came with it. We tried to sell them a Ford complete, but they decided to go with the Jasper instead.  Also just installed 8 injectors, fuel pressure regulator, glow plugs and RH harness, and a new fuel tank in a 05 F-550 6.0. Currently in my stall is an 08 6.4 getting a high pressure fuel pump for a P0088 and both up-pipes. Also have a 2013 motorhome on a F-53 chassis that's getting an engine harness thanks to rats deciding the fuel injector wires looked good for eating.  Still gotta diag a 11 F-550 6.7 that keeps setting the DTC for DEF quality, even though the DEF keeps checking out ok. Another tech has already replaced the nox sensor and reprogrammed the PCM, and recall 14E03 has been performed.

A couple of 220v heaters I found in the storage room. Went to Home Depot last night, bought some plugs and made an extension cord to run these babies off my welder outlet. It was 55 in the shop this morning. We don't have anything besides radiant heat in the floors and it can't keep up with these low temps.  (boohoo I know :D )These stupid things have a 20 amp 220 plug on them, even if someone wanted to steal them off me it wouldn't do any good, can't plug them in anywhere.

image.jpg