What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Still plugging away at my fuel system. If I can get to the point where the cabs ready to come down I'll be in good shape today.

Found a little rust on the sending unit. Definite contamination at one point in its life

image.jpg

I have had two trucks now with p0100 and u0106. Both trucks had deleted scr's with all sensors removed from a diesel performance shop in town. If it's a 2013 and up it will fill the uncovered nox1 module with water causing it to short out and blow fuse 36 in the bjb. Just something to look for when working with a truck that has a deleted scr.

The dumb shits around here leave the egr and egr cooler bypass connectors disconnected and hanging down.  They end up melting on the exhaust, shorting, or filling with water pulling a 5 volt ref down and sometimes leading to a tow on dmax engines.  I had 1 jackass yell at me and my manager when I told him this was not warranty.  I promply pulled the calibrations from the ecm and submitted a warranty block on the truck.  He requested that I not work on his truck again. :haha2:

All I needed was them to stay away one day so I could shuffle off to Buffalo on Sunday and not worry about anything hanging over.  That didn't happen, 12:30 comes around and an 11 F-450 is getting towed in, might as well drop in my bay since its a no start.

P008A and P0093 in memory.  I can hear the fuel pump humming strong but at KOEO my low fuel pressure switch only goes from low to not low for a split second and back to low.  Hook the fuel pressure gauge to the inlet of the secondary filter, turn the key on.  Damn near pegs my gauge at 110 PSI.  Fuel pressure switch still reading low.   Slam a secondary filter in it and fire it right up. 

Also has a P20BA pending, since it's an inboard mounted tank that actually is mounted inboard it shouldn't take too long to pull it out and see what's up.  I'll look at it tomorrow. 

I ordered them from amazon $343.00 shipped to the dealership. When my manager heard from parts they brought me out a big box of a tool that I had ordered. He decided to come over and take a look. He the says that sure looks handy. I said yeah sure wish the tech didnt have to buy the shop tools. I then said any chance I can get the shop to pay for half. Lets see what happens.

I got a check for the full $343 today. It took all month but I used them 3 times this month.

I ordered them from amazon $343.00 shipped to the dealership. When my manager heard from parts they brought me out a big box of a tool that I had ordered. He decided to come over and take a look. He the says that sure looks handy. I said yeah sure wish the tech didnt have to buy the shop tools. I then said any chance I can get the shop to pay for half. Lets see what happens.

I got a check for the full $343 today. It took all month but I used them 3 times this month.

Sometimes that's what it takes to get shop equipment.

Cut open a couple 6.7 secondary fuel filters today. The collapsed filter is the one I pulled out of the no-start truck yesterday. It's an aftermarket filter unknown brand. The other is a motorcraft with about 5000 miles on it.

The bottom filter didn't look so bad, I'm wondering if somehow one got changed and not the other. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I went in and dropped the cab on a turbo job, then got crazy and power washed my lifts. Huge pita with no floor drain. Checked my hours for the year, did a lof on my rig and fixedo a leak in my rf tire.

20141228_110306.jpg

Had a good one today, one worthy of starting off the new year for sure (not to mention I've been off since last Saturday)

2011 6.7 comes in, 187k miles.  Customer was having some starter issues and noticed a starter bolt is missing.  So rather than get involved they brought it here.  Verified the middle bolt is broken off in the rear engine cover.  So I quote starter R&R plus an hour or so for bolt extraction.  I pull the starter out which took a while longer than it should because I can't ever seem to remember the "trick" to getting those out.  No they just don't fall out like a 6.0 does if you didn't know.

Starter is out on the bench and I notice the top ear is broken off and the gear is showing through.  Now I took the top bolt out and I didn't hear anything fall so I took a peek up in beside the engine and start to feel around for the ear.  Can't find it. I'm guessing as to how big this piece is and I can't really imagine what it looks like so maybe it's hiding in an unlikely spot.  Reach my hand back up in there, start touching around the starter hole in the rear cover and I felt something move.  AHA!

Before I know what happens or even have a chance to think about what could happen the piece of starter falls down into the fucking bellhousing.

So as of the end of today I pulled out my first Torqshift 6 to retrieve this surprisingly large ear of starter.  I have pics I'll post tomorrow.   Jesus what a way to come back to work. 

I got an 04 Durango with a junk motor. Guy drove it in. Said he thought it was hydrolocking based on what he read on the internet. Went outside and it's locked up. Pushed it in, pulled the belt and the plugs, still won't turn over. Noticed the #7 plug is wet and the gap is slightly smaller then the rest. Stuck the bore scope down the hole and I was looking at the crankshaft.

Matt,that sucks... but I would rather pull a trans, then fish a 7.3L dipstick adapter out of an oil pan.

You take one week off and all of your previously acquired luck goes out the window :)

I pull the starter out which took a while longer than it should because I can't ever seem to remember the "trick" to getting those out.  No they just don't fall out like a 6.0 does if you didn't know.

No matter how many I pull out I can't find a good trick. I seem to struggle with all of them.

I did a starter on a 6.7 2 weeks ago. I've always had issues getting them out and got to the point where I would always pull the oil filter adapter off to get it out. Well this one was in a flat bay and I didn't wanna make a mess, so I pulled the inner fender and somehow got it out and new one in with 20 minutes. If I remember right, once it's loose pull it straight back against the engine mount, the push the gear end up and twist at the same time will allow it to clear between the frame and engine. It's tight, but if you hold your tongue just right it will fish right out.

Yup that's the secret. The gear end has to drop down from the top. I just put the new one in and it did seem a little easier with the fenderwell out.

Also with the fenderwell out I was able to weld a nub on the broken starter bolt and extract it

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looked at another 7.3L today that's consuming oil.  This ones an 02 F-350.  Verified on the road test that the thing smokes bad and is definitely burning oil.  To my surprise the turbo outlet is dry.  As bad as this thing smoked I was thinking turbo for sure.  Ran my crankcase pressure test and it passes also, very little blow-by for over 200k miles.  No oil in the intercooler. 

Pulled my fuel filter and the fuel was bluish black in the fuel bowl, hmmmm.  Took a fuel sample directly from the frame rail pump, it's clean and clear.  I am going to pull and bench test the injectors.  I have never done this before but I'm going to give it a try. Cust wouldn't spring for all 8.

Also a 6.0 ambulance got towed in.  I'm guessing the number #7 injector nozzle is split.  Misfiring and smoking badly. The smoking gun was the WIF code stored in the PCM, pulled the bottom filter and there's metal and a nice little glob of water laying in the bottom. 

There's a couple other trucks coming in too so I should be busy for a while, oh yeah and our tranny guy is leaving and there's a 10 fusion here for an overhaul.  Who's gonna do that? ::bang::