What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Pulled in a 1993 F250 with a 7.3L idi that has a Banks Sidewinder turbocharger on it. As usual the aftermarket air filter and the intake tubing was loose, misaligned and sucking air for god knows how long. The compressor fins are worn and jagged and one (?) blade is bent.  

My new to me f350. I paid 15,600 without a tailgate. Thing is super clean. http://www.wilsonmotor.com/Used-2009-Ford-F-350-Logan-UT/vd/23171996I am sure they will take the link off soon. I drove 7 hours to buy it from another dealer.

I have a 2010 f350 v10 crew cab and love the truck. I get asked all the time by sales if i want to sell it. The last nice v10 they traded in at work sold in 2 days with 7 people stoping in and looking at it.

2015 F550 6.7L with a frozen fuel system. Secondary filter is cracked and spewing fuel all over the engine. Water separator is frozen and I can't get the filter cap off yet. 

I have 2 ambulances here for service and ps work. Have a 2013 gm turbo, and a 2011 egr bypass valve on a dmax. Then a bunch of crappy work after that. I was told we are taking appointments for nex year now.

We've never been to a point where we had to book ahead and I'm thinking there's no way we'll ever get there either.  I don't know what's with this damn shop.  Lately we've been so dead I can't help but think about moving on.  The less I work on trucks the more it takes to get back into the swing of it. 

I can only imagine working here is like being held back a grade in school.  You're all set to move on and before you know it you're backing doing the same shit as before.  I put a PTU in an Edge the other day.  That's basically what I started on back in 06.  I've never seen anyone else in the shop reseal or replace a damn PTU but my 18k racks will lift an Edge so guess what. 

I am busiest I have been at work in a while. I have a 13 6.7 f550 11 ft service body getting turbo, primary radiator, rear brakes, fuel filters. An 11 6.7 f350 primary radiator, primary water pump, oil change, def heater, tires, batteries. An 01 f350 7.3 no start with fried idm, melted uvc wiring harness. A 14 f350 ring and pinion. A 14 fusion 2.5 that the head finally showed up (been tore down waiting 3 weeks on).

1 of the ambulances has a coolant leak from the block to the flywheel housing, and an upper oil pan leak. Sigh. Also needs better front coil springs as I can only get it set to -.5 degrees camber unloaded and it murders tires. These gm ambulances are real piles.

One ambulance smoked the primary alternator. When they said it was "smoking" they weren't specific. The other ambulance needs some cooling system repairs. Rad, tstat, degas bottle etc plus a number 6 injector.

Got a couple 6.7s here too. One is getting 3 EGTs, put 14 in a few weeks ago now it returns for 12 so I sold the remainder. The other one needs an a/c compressor and a primary rad.

Tomorrow I need to flush the stud job I'm doing.

Couldn't say offhand.  It's been years since I did a set of 7.3 up-pipes. 

Right now I've got a 12 F-550 6.7 rollback with a junk turbo, 6.4 dump that ate a power steering pump/needs a rad plus all 3 belts, late 99 7.3 with a P1668 and a 6.0 ambulance coming in with a coolant leak, most likely blown headgaskets.

I'm gonna have the rad trifecta this week.  Monday did the e-series 6.0, today did a 6.7 and tomorrow the 6.4. 

• Like 1

Are all of the later 7.3 turbo collectors the same?

If you are talking about the up pipes, some have a different bolt hole spacing on the y-pipe not sure on the pipes themselves.

The late 99 7.3L I had with the P1668 and P1316 I believe was caused by the TS performance chip installed in it.  I'll admit, I know as little about 7.3s as almost anyone.  I don't have the slightest clue how that works or if the chip was bad or just maybe loose.  Customer was complaining of an occasional stalls but restarts fine and a cuts out while idling.  I drove the thing 30 miles tonight with the chip uninstalled and it ran just fine for me.  Instantly stopped setting the IDM code.

Looked at an 11 6.7 today with about 225k on the clock.  #4 glow plug and misfire code.  Know what that needs.  Also sold brakes and rotors all the way around on a 12 F-550.  7500 mile salt truck.  Rotors completely destroyed and pads metal on metal.

Got a rear end to build and a Truetrac to install in an 05 F-250.  Also this truck is getting my latest built turbo.  Supervisor of my best fleet of 6.0s.  Then I looked at a 2010 F-350 6.4L that slid backwards into a ditch and screwed up the drivers side leaf.  I should have another 08 F-350 6.4 coming in for a HPFP later in the week too.

11 6.7L over-fueling on #7, smoking and knocking. Relative comp. was all zeros. Replaced injector, smoke gone, runs a lot better, take it off idle and she rattles pretty bad. Heads coming off that one as soon as I get an answer on the no-start 6.4L that needs a HP system and engine. 

The pics I posted of the 7.3L is in for a thermostat, oil leak and battery light coming on. It has a reman alternator in it, but you should see the butcher job of the battery cables. The alternator was cooking hot after running for less than 5 minutes.

Updating: the 6.4L got pushed out until further notice. I pulled the pan off the 2011 6.7L to find bearing material. My guess is it hydro-locked and wrecked the bearing. Surprised it runs so good.

The 6.7L has a pounded out wrist pin bushing. No short blocks around, so it gets a long block.

Have a few P054F reprograms lined up too.

'07 6.0 very intermittent low power. Had a P0404 and some very unusual EGR pid data when the problem occurs, I would say that the semi-conductive dirt and goo I found in the EGR valve connector was the cause.20141204_134416.jpg

I have been asking my manager to order the adapters for the big engine stand several times and didnt get any where. So I decided to order then myself. I got them today just in time to do bedplate gaskets on this engine. It is so much easier putting the engine on the stand with these compared to the universal mounts.

6.0 engine stand 1.png

6.0 engine stand 3.png

I ordered them from amazon $343.00 shipped to the dealership. When my manager heard from parts they brought me out a big box of a tool that I had ordered. He decided to come over and take a look. He the says that sure looks handy. I said yeah sure wish the tech didnt have to buy the shop tools. I then said any chance I can get the shop to pay for half. Lets see what happens.