What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Yesterday my '94 F-150 finally got the driver's window motor pucks replaced, the window almost wouldn't even stay up anymore. I almost forgot how to do those, my daughter had fun helping all the same.:)

Working on the 6.0 F-550 that would barely run.  Suspected combustion gas in the fuel rail, verified fuel pressure was very low (20s-low 30s) and that FICM voltage was also dipping into the 30s while running.  It has an underboost code in it so I figured I'd quote a turbo cleaning as long as the rest of the repairs turned out okay.  Put in the right side of injectors, fuel pump, upper filter, FPR kit and a FICM.  Seemed to run okay so I put about 10 miles on it, noticed a few times my EBP desired didn't match up with my EBP_G, still thinking turbo is stuck.  This truck is so heavy I can't really tell if it's lacking power or not right away.   

So I get back into the shop, back into my spot and the truck dies like someone shut off a switch.  Scan DTCs and there it is, P0231, fuel pump secondary circuit low. It's seriously a miracle this truck didn't strand me.  I've got no voltage coming out of the fuel pump relay internal to the CJB.  Let it cool off a while, pulled the turbo, wasn't stuck even a little bit.  Cleaned it anyways and put it back, the relay must have cooled off enough too because now it's putting out good voltage until I key off and back on then nothing again.  The PCM wants the relay closed, it's just not happening.  Actually the FPM pid came in handy.  I think it's the first time I ever used it. 

My EBP desired idling is around 5 PSI while my actual is near 3 PSI.  Vanes were commanded shut at 85% but I'm going to have to try a known good VGT first then maybe pull the EBP and have a look. All my pressures are good KOEO. 

So this truck kind of threw me for a loop.  To make it worse our new SM asked me today how long it would take me to do a freestyle torque convertor.  Then I happen to notice one on the schedule for tomorrow.  :( I hope I gave the wrong answer

- 08 F350 SRW, rear pinion kissed the carrier. getting all new stuff

- 02 F350 DRW, front hub, brakes and tube seals

- 09 Focus m/t, 4th gear synchros

If this is a 4x4 and you talking about a front wheel bearing, I just got a Motorcraft HUB-11 in yesterday that the inner needle bearing was seized to the cage, probably because it was not greased from the factory. I was reminded of an old guy I used to work with, who told me to always check over parts before installing them. Heck he would plasti gauge reman engines before he installed them :)

Well my 2015 truck with gas in the fuel system was a no sale, they sold it to an auction company. Boss got me 2 hour diag on it at least. Got the heads off my 5.4 with oil in coolant, no signs of head gaskets causing this issue, and block and heads are flat. Hotline wants me to put new head gaskets and oil cooler on and reevaluate the concern. Problem is customer bought it with an 84/125k mile warranty. However, according to ESP it should have only had a 72/100k mile warranty due to it being an incomplete vehicle. So with 101k miles on it ESP is denying the claim, and the management is trying to figure out who's paying. I'm thinking if we pay for it, I'm gonna push to install a long block. Still working on getting my retail 6.4 done. And just pulled a ticket for a 2012 truck that customer states ran rough and died and wouldn't restart. Customer called my service manager to inform him that his son put a gallon of DEF in the fuel tank.  Plus being promoted to shop foreman a few months ago, I get to help everyone else in the shop with their crap. At least they compensate me for that though.  

If this is a 4x4 and you talking about a front wheel bearing, I just got a Motorcraft HUB-11 in yesterday that the inner needle bearing was seized to the cage, probably because it was not greased from the factory. I was reminded of an old guy I used to work with, who told me to always check over parts before installing them.Heck he would plasti gauge reman engines before he installed them :)

It was indeed a HUB-11 ... slapped it in an fortunately had no such issues. The only odd bit was I clicked the key on in the cylinder just a tiny bit to disable the steering lock. I go to start the thing and get click no crank. I assumed that I drained the batteries, so I put them on a charge over lunch. Came back and same deal. Did a couple quick voltage drop tests and called a starter. Fortunately the customer was of sound mind with it - instead of asking if we were screwing him he said he's thankful that it happened when it did as opposed to in the bush (welding rig). Right on!

In the afternoon I banged out that F350 rear end. Days when you come home smelling of gear oil are usually good for the old pay cheque : )

The torque convertor recall sits waiting for me.  As I come to find out an 18k lb rotary will lift a freestar. 

And why's that? The Freestar is too heavy? :haha2:  :haha2:  :haha2: :haha2:  :haha2:  :haha2:

Well my 2015 truck with gas in the fuel system was a no sale, they sold it to an auction company.

I hope you flagged that VIN in CuDL so that the next poor sucker that gets his hands on it will be well aware of its past. I'll bet a paycheque that it will only get drained and refilled with diesel and get called "good" by someone before it goes to auction.

No I haven't. Any idea how to do that? Been with Ford a short 2 1/2 years and have yet to flag a Vin like that yet.

Also my 2012 with DEF got denied too. Truck is a lease truck, customer only has 2 months left before he turns it in and said he didn't have the money to do it. Probably need to flag it also.

So.....after the better part of the day screwing around trying to remember how to pull a fwd trans I get almost all the way out with it.  Go to pull the convertor nuts and the damn thing is blue......BLUE!!! WTF!!!

I think a f-ing blue torque convertor sitting on my service managers desk would get the point across. 

No I haven't. Any idea how to do that? Been with Ford a short 2 1/2 years and have yet to flag a Vin like that yet.

Also my 2012 with DEF got denied too. Truck is a lease truck, customer only has 2 months left before he turns it in and said he didn't have the money to do it. Probably need to flag it also.

You need to start a Hotline contact on both the two vehicles in question. Document all the steps you took to diagnose the concern, and most important of all, the customer's refusal to have the repair done. The person on the other end will do what's needed to flag the VIN in OASIS, same as would happen if the vehicle in question were involved in an accident in which it was written off.

Actually can't we reimburse the customer if they have a receipt for a torque converter replaced at another repair facility?

Now that I think about it I believe we subletted this freestar to aamco a few years back for tranny problems. Back when trannies would cost us money due to limited space we had to turn down customer pay work.

Got a couple 6.0 E-450 transit buses here for some driveabilty concerns. This is a new customer. The one I looked at today has a bunch of codes for basically all the v-ref sensors. Found the ICP wiring rubbed on the right valvecover. Gotta figure out how to get to those wires. The other one has fuel in the coolant.

Then there's a 6.7 that caught fire and another F-550 6.7 that has a wrench/check engine light.

Here's a couple screen shots of the ICP bringing down some of the V-REF sensors. I didn't find this right away because my EBP was also biased KOEO while the concern was not happening.  The first pic is while cranking and honestly I can't believe the bus started.  The second pic I was able to recreate the concern by pushing the harness into the edge of the valve cover.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got a 2002 F450 7.3 manual in my bay right now. just doing a rear main seal in it

Got a 2012 f450 military ambulance to put in a def tank sender because of the heater. Our shop cant lift it, tank is full, and the brackets are upside down to accomodate the ambulance build. Oh well, bench press it.

a couple of weeks ago I had a fully loaded 2013 f550 utility truck with a destroyed transfer case. got to bench that sucker back in. our largest lift couldnt lift it