What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Seat ain't marred up, it's all black from the valve not sitting tight against it. Their "mechanic" called and had a talk with the service manager today. He's trying to pass the blame. But there's no way that you can throw a bolt down the front of the intake and have it skip over 7 intake holes and drop in the last one. I found the bolt in the next valve pocket forward. I'll try to get it back from the service manager and get a picture of it.

-'05 Sport Trac getting a boneyard engine after pan removal revealed pieces of cassettes and some metal filings.

-'11 F-150 Ecoboost getting a new timing chain, tensioner and phasers.

-'12 F-350 6.7L in engine idle only mode with a hard P207F by itself.

Last, but not least, an early build '04 F-350 DRW cab and chassis. This one's a bit of a story. Just this winter passed, it was at our shop after being purchased used, in for a commercial vehicle inspection. The frame on this unit was so rotted, along with the engine block, brake and fuel lines, not to mention the engine had a cracked y-pipe and was blowing coolant out the degas bottle the moment the engine was fired up. At that time I condemned the truck, and told them it's not worth putting any money into to put into service. The guy that bought it has a whole fleet of 6.0L trucks that he has brought to us in the past. In any event, they picked it up and brought it to "their mechanic". They changed the y-pipe along with the head gaskets and have not been able to get the truck started ever since. In it arrives on the hook, on our lot. I already told our service advisor that I don't want to go near this thing with a twenty foot pole, due to it has "ever since you ....." written all over it. Both he and the manager approached me today, with the manager informing me that he's paying for a rental for this guy (I call bullshit on that, but anyways) and he needs me to "look at it". So, later on this evening, I connect IDS and there's every DTC under the sun present. I crank the engine over, and it sounds like it has ZERO compression on any of the cylinders. I pull up with datalogger to look at the list of my favourite 6.0L PIDs. I see "yes fault" for ECT, EOT, IAT #2, FICM_M, FICM_V and FICM_L all read zero, ICP volts reads 0 volts!!! When cranking the engine over, I can't even get an RPM reading!!! Soooooo, what do I tell the advisor and manager tomorrow? Looking under the hood, it looks like the hacks have reaally been to town on it.

- Soooooo, what do I tell the advisor and manager tomorrow? Looking under the hood, it looks like the hacks have reaally been to town on it.

Tell 'em it need's a heart transplant and if you are going to do it the  pay needs to be adjusted accordingly :chinrub2:

It's either that or FICM ship 'em

So how in the fuck do you get authorization to tear down a 6.0 in an ambulance, sit on it for a week, then get word that they don't want to fix it. Now fucking what? What the hell do I do with a junk shortblock on the engine stand? Do I offer to locate an aftermarket longblock? I don't know what needs done to sell work around here but it isn't happening.  I am going to find out for myself if I can service part warranty this injector and subsequent damage, I am so tired of relying on my SM to do anything. Today I get an ecoboost F-150 with a hard brake pedal when cold. Found the vacuum pump inop. 2 other guys NPF'd 2 other trucks for this concern. Also the pump is on backorder, problems?

Yeah one of the NPF ecoboost F-150s is back.  I got a chance to look at it and it's doing the same thing.  I bet it needs a pump.

Today started off interesting.  I have, through hotline, the W&P manual and other sources, convinced my service manager that this damn ambulance should be subsequent damage based on the fuel injector failure, there is nothing else wrong with this engine other than what happened with #2.  We are going to attempt a warranty claim on the shortblock, one head and a CHRA.  I am going to install the other head and main engine harness which was part of the original CP quote.  If they pay the claim the rest of the parts will be on the ambulance company.  None of this should have taken a week but NOTHING gets done around here in a timely manner. I have been really angry about this whole situation the last few days, I feel like I can't possibly do any more on my own and I basically trust no one else in service to adequately handle anything.  I don't know what to do. 

So first thing this morning.  We go and pick up a customers car (who lives an hour away).  It's a 2011 MKX in for 4 tires and state inspection.  The car gets dropped off outside, registration handed to me and away we go.  Wait, no we don't, where are the keys (IKT)? Not in it, not on the dispatch desk?  Oh they're still at the customers house, how convenient.  Luckily it was raining outside this morning and I got to remove 4 tires in the parking lot.  Good thing for floor jacks and super long air hoses.  I managed to get 4 tires mounted and balanced before the keys were in my possession.  

• 2 weeks later...

The ambulance is gone after spending nearly a month here.  What a nightmare.  It's bad enough those things are so hard to work on then add a bunch of confusion from your co-workers, customer and Ford.  Whatever, it's done in time for the end of the month (which honestly saved my SMs job).  I put 55 miles on it over the weekend, I'm satisfied with a shortblock, 2 heads, oil cooler, main harness and a pile of other parts.  Oh yeah, and I threw an ITEC "IDM bottom" ;) at it yesterday post repair. 

Also yesterday finished up a primary rad and 4 EGTs in a 12 F-350.  Today I get it's twin from the same fleet for a P0401 and contaminated DEF.  Got another 12 F-250 6.7 outside that I ordered an evaporator core for. Then I talked to another fleet customer today about a 6.7 F-550 getting towed in for a crank no start.

Got my heads in for the 6.0 dump on Thursday too. 

4 egt's? I have replaced 2 at once, but never 4. Is this common, or a cya thing? I saw the new sensors are different, are they " that" much better?

2 were bad, customer wanted all 4 changed. One of these trucks in the fleet came back 3 times for 3 different sensors. Ever since then it's been 4 or none.

The work comes and goes. I should be busy for at least a week

The 6.7 F-550 was no low fuel pressure. Pump sounded strong but the filters were way overdue. This thing had me second guessing bad. All I was getting from the valve on my test gauge was air, air and more air.Changed the filters, no dice. Went and got 5 gallons of fuel and dumped in the tank. Sender shows 1/4 tank so I was thinking maybe a pick up tube. Still nothing. Praying something was messed up in the pump....put a pump in it. Still wrong and now it's messed me up bad.Went and got another 5 gallons but this time I left it in the container and ran my suction line into it. Bam instant fuel pressure. Got the truck in the shop, up in the air, ready to pull the tank and I notice someone just put a new gooseneck ball on. Then there it was, a nice little slice from a cutoff wheel right in the fuel line. Everyday it's something new.

Oh and our other guy quit today, the one who started me on trucks, the one who I bounce ideas off all day long and basically don't talk to anyone else.  It's gonna be a one man show on this side of the shop now.  We were already looking for a tech, now we're REALLY looking for a tech......or 2 

Oh and our other guy quit today, the one who started me on trucks, the one who I bounce ideas off all day long and basically don't talk to anyone else.  It's gonna be a one man show on this side of the shop now.  We were already looking for a tech, now we're REALLY looking for a tech......or 2 

Welcome to my world. I love to throw a set of ear plugs in and ignore everyone else. Annoys the crap out of my co-workers. But I don't notice as much of their stupidity that way.

It was more than the maximum allowable drama for one day so someone was bound to get canned. 2 advisors and one tech have quit in the last month (right after my boss got done talking the tech into staying our new service girl walked out) I just don't understand how one person can be so clueless to the fact that no one respects you.  We all live on the same earth, no one has their own world.

I'm sitting on a weeks worth of work so hopefully this doesn't affect me too bad. 

Hang in there Matt. Try to keep focused on what you do, Other people can often suck you down with there bad attitudes. Remember to operate in your world. Do not let them bring you down. As for the loads of work waiting for you, it is what it is, you can't work 24-7 put in your hours and go home. Keep doing the great work you have been, that is why people are bringing it to you. The worst thing you can do is try to pull short cuts and work tons of extra hours that always ends up backfiring.

I've never been a fan of shortcuts.  I try to do the most honest work possible and for the most part I'm rewarded for it.  Any new service manager is going to figure that out fast.  I really hope whoever we get is better than what we had.  I've met a few shitty service managers from other dealers. 

I talked to my 2 best fleet customers today luckily to straighten everything out.  They're not going anywhere and they'll bare with me for a little while with the chaos.  Not much is going to change but I'm going to have to sell my own diesel work for sure. 

All I did all day was punch tickets on cars.  The schedule is really fucked up, wonder why. 

2008 6.4L with 274,000 KM that needs a camshaft, waiting on desicion from customer. Actually going to give up some of my horded extra parts, including a set of head gaskets and bolts, to sell this one. 2006 F350 needs a FICM, 2 front ABS sensors, front brakes and an outer tie rod.

I like to think of myself as the Robin Hood of diesel parts. Steal from the rich (ford) and give to the poor :D I'm actually giving away a whole bunch of stuff on this 6.0 dump I'm putting heads on. It's doesn't look like its ever been touched for anything so it's getting all the updates too.

Today I put 6 injectors in a 03 f-550 tow truck. A few months ago when I installed 2 injectors I attempted to sell all 8.

We just took in trade a 2005 F250 6.0L with 97k which has had NOTHING done to this engine ever. Degas bottle was skeeeeeevy had some minor oil leaks and ran okay when warmed up.  Cold start it hinted at running rough and was sluggish. I am almost impressed.

Speaking of taking in trades we got a barn find 7.3 here. 2000 f-250 crew cab short bed, 38k miles. I did the used car check on it. Undercoated, spray in bed liner, not a hint of rust anywhere. The valve covers look brand new. People are standing in line for this thing. Not sure what it will sell for but it makes me sick looking at it then looking at my rust pile 06

I've done three 6.7 primary rads and 4 egr coolers in the last week and a half.  

Our 3rd in line fleet customer picked one up on Monday and dropped another one off.  The problem was the truck was a twin to the one they picked up AND they parked it in the same damn spot.  Needless to say I never realized a new one was outside and wondered all week why they weren't picking up the one I finished last week.  One more thing to remember my service manager by.  Too worried about himself to relay the message.  He was right for worrying.