Anyone ever work at an implement dealer?

Rate this topic

nelsona19

With warranty times and even custmer pay times hitting an all time low and some of the prior approval and warranty proccesses getting worse and worse. I've decided after 15 years of this crap it's time to get out, maybe. I have an oppertunity to get the family farm and move out of the city. I was looking at maybe working for a farm implement dealer(case/ titan). Anyone got any experience with this type of job? Not sure what to expect for pay. I was told it should be hourly at least. I would find it hard to believe that this field could be any worse than what I'm dealing with now, but I could be wrong. Thanks guys.

Where are you from, Canada or USA?If you're in USA, you need to weight the options of benefits especially health, pay scale, cost of living, locations..etc..From my experiences, automotive dealers pays more and offer benefits better than independent shops. Volume of work at my dealer is always busy, I never ran out of work.Sure, I know recalls are a joke, Focus trans are junk...blah, blah..I can go on and on but it pays the bill!As for prior approval, cost caps,  warranty documentations, plus other chit...don't let that get under your skin.

I worked at an AGCO Dealer when I was in high school and for 2 years out of high school to save money for college.  I loved it.  I was given a service truck, and was paid overtime.  We worked a lot of overtime during harvest, and a lot was paid drive time.  Hourly was great.  Just expect the pay to be quite a bit lower per hour.  I would go back if I wasn't making really good money where I am at.

Not a farm equip dealer but I went to the Indy world after getting laid off from factory work, after leaving the dealer.

I make $6 more an hour at the Indy shop than I did at the dealer, hourly, lots of fringe benefits.

So the dealer isn't always the highest paying show in town.

Not quite the same industry as farming but I left the dealer almost 3 years ago now. I do miss getting to work on the latest and greatest stuff and sometimes feel like I am a tad behind the curve but I still have my contacts at the dealer to make a quick phone call to and ask any questions I might have. Having access to FMC dealer with the fleet side is a huge help as well. I end up working on more equipment(PTOs, Cranes, compressors,) then engines lately but I absolutely do not miss the drama of a dealer! I do not go home pissed off every night worried about how I'm going to get paid for a job or being undercut hours on a warranty job etc.

As far as pay I took a slight pay cut(compared to my previous 2 years flat rate) for a salary wage vs flat rate. However we all know flat rate is up and down and is great one year and shitty the next. I like the fact I always know what my pay is and can predict it.  Benefits are not as great as a dealer but they are sufficient.

Its a hard decision all the way around to make the jump, Part of my reasoning was I could always go back to a dealer if something didnt work out.

I know guys at the local John Deere and they describe the same shit as working for ford at dealer. Times being lowered and drama about who gets what job. They are paid hourly with a incentive bonus on flat rate time. A lot of techs have left also for same reasons as ford techs

I can't speak for other demographics but in my area if someone went to an AG dealer and was willing to learn,excellent at diagnostics and A/C work they would always have a job. I have heard of a lot of parts hangers leaving automotive for AG work but it's only a matter of time before that gig will run out it the AG industry. IMO

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post and the decision has already been made. However, I have worked at a couple ag dealers in the past. We were paid hourly and overtime after 8 hours in a shift. My slowest week was 50 hours in the winter n the busiest was 100 hours in a week in middle of harvest. A dealer has the same shit no matter what the iron does. If u do t mind working nights an weekends as well as all day during the busy 4 months of the year it is pretty good gig. Wage was $25/ hour n good benefits. I worked in ag dept at a cat dealer. I personally did not like Titan machinery when I worked for them. Just my two cents on the matter, good luck with ur choice