One Way Clutch

Rate this topic

PSE&G  F550 utility boom truck. was towed in with a blown engine. We replaced the engine and had it running in the bay, took it out for a road test - the trans would not shift and was burnt up so it got a reman unit. The reman lasted 400 miles and is now sitting on my trans bench torn down to the OWC and I cannot get it out of the case... along with everything else behind it. Waiting for another unit to arrive from Chicago. I am thinking this was a pre-stressed part or somebody is beating the living hell out of this truck. Needless to say, if it returns on a hook again THEY are going to pay.

That's a heavy truck.  The one ways usually only explode from shock load and the low 1 way takes 100% of the torque in od 1st gear so a nice rolling backwards shift to drive shocks it good.

This is one of those large utility bodies with a heavy boom, 2 wheel drive. Does not look as though it has been anywhere near mud in it's entire life and the truck looks the same as it did two weeks ago when I installed the first unit, just under 400 miles ago. We do know and understand that things can and do go wrong, parts can be defective and fail in an untimely manner.Do I suspect abuse? It's not common to see so many major failures on one truck to me, an engine, two transmissions... at least I am suspicious but I cant put my finger on it and probably never will. But, if the truck returns on a hook again I think we will be able to make a good guess.

• 2 months later...

Hey Brad do you mean trucks that are towed break the one-way or tow trucks pulling other stuff?

(The one I have was towed here it has a dump box. Now fleet company is saying there was nothing wrong with the trans before, just had egr stuck open.

They think it is from the 30 mile tow, with driveshaft left on.)

I am not Brad but I play him on Tee-Vee. :notworthy:   And I have heard the towing theory on these one way clutched being destroyed. Ever turn the driveshaft on one of these while up on a lift? You hear the clutch clicking away... imagine this happening at road speed with no transmission fluid flowing and splashing around to lubricate and cool... considering the original post, the energy company that brings us these trucks actually tows them to AND FROM the dealership after repairs are complete.

I have had a 08 f450 truck towed in with hole in piston no trans concerns. Put in the enhanced short block take on the test drive and about a mile out it made alot of noise out of the rear of the trans. I turned around and limped it back slowly to the shop. I found out they towed the truck with the driveshaft in when they brought it in. It got a reman trans.