F series right HPOR lower torx bolt removal?

Rate this topic

What tool do you guys use to remove the T-30 high pressure oil rail bolts on the right head at the bottom with the HVAC box in the way? I don't seem to have anything that is short enough to fit without jaming against the box.

I break them loose with a homemade stubby torx on a 1/4 drive breaker bar, then spin them out with the same bit on a wobble and long extension from above if there's room, or my fingers if there's not.

I like to put the sides of the bolt heads to the grinder to roughen them up a bit before they go back in, makes running them in with the fingers real easy.

• Like 1

1/4" off-set ratcheting bit holder with a T-30 bit, or just a 1/4" wrench with a T-30 bit.  Never had an issue with access.

That's exactly how I've been doing them for years. All it requires is finesse with the fingers, as well as washing your hands prior to handling so as to minimize the likelihood of having the dropsies.

• 2 weeks later...

so I lost my shirt on this job because I spent time making my own tools to first remove the lower torx-30 bolts on the right side head oil rail and second to remove the torx-40 injector hold down bolts on the injectors.

I punched out the T-30 bit from the socket end. then I went to the stone wheel and ground down the bottom side of the bit until I had enough room to fit both the socket and my ratchet without contacting the evap box 

I used a cut off wheel and cut the end off an (allen key shaped) T-40 wrench. I then ground a square knotch into the bottom end of the t-40 and I hammered it into a bit socket. once again modifying it until it was at the right height to not contact the injector with the socket part.

this is the end result. should make decent time on the next right head injector replacement job

IMG_0887.jpg

• Like 1