What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Brad, you should call driver abuse on your '16 Explorer since it's obviously a police cruiser. That way it'll be retail.

I got the tri-fecta this week, 3.7L tore down to the bare block getting a short block ('16 Explorer), 6F35 tore down to the bare case getting an input shaft and torque converter ('14 Escape), and an 8.8 tore down to the bare housing getting a ring and pinion and all new bearings ('04 Mustang).

I have nothing but gas lately, haven't touched a diesel in weeks.

2008 F-150 with a PATS issue

2011 MKX with a stuck open EVAP vent valve and trying to upsell a 100K service

2013 F-150 EcoBoost, customer complains of a rough idle and smoke on start up. Also A/C does not blow cold at idle.

2015 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost, CEL with P2450 for EVAP Blocking Valve. TSB 15-0171 applies and its out of warranty. I'm guessing it will go CLP though. EDIT: Customer just approved with no issue.

2005 F-150 Customer installed their own PCM, wanted us to program. It's still a no start concern.

2013 Mustang 3.7. LH Valve Cover Gasket and A/C Compressor

I made the classic mistake of putting in a 6.7 front main seal backwards even though the book clearly states the numbers on the seal should face outwards. The seal looks totally wrong going in the correct way and it doesn't help that the slinger is not in the parts picture with the seal. It's in the picture with the crankshaft.

I've gotta 550 6.4 outside leaking exhaust between the turbo halves.  It's a reman complete a month away from being out of warranty. 

Also got some 6.0 drivability to do on a dump truck.  Not sure if I remember anything about those. :scratch:

All the diesel work is coming back just in time for me to depart.  More details to follow

• Like 1

I have nothing but gas lately, haven't touched a diesel in weeks.

2005 F-150 Customer installed their own PCM, wanted us to program. It's still a no start concern.

And now he is going to be pissed that you are charging him for the program since it still won't start!

I split the turbos on the 6.4 to replace the gaskets between them and I found the plate behind the high pressure turbine has come loose. It's rubbing the turbine when you spin it. Now I get to wait a couple days for a turbo to come.

The 6.0 I'm looking at needs coolers. It's got carbon chunks breaking loose and hanging the valve open. Also looks like the oil cooler cover gasket is eaking pretty bad

So currently I just finished a retail 6.2 install on a F-250, it dropped a valve and customer approved a long block. 

2014 Flex no-start, has no fuel pressure.

2013 Flex, intermittent no crank. Got towed in, of course when I went out there it fired up. Last time it came in, RFA module would not respond. Checked powers, grounds, network. All was good, plugged it in and started working.

2012 F-150 with a coolant leak and pop noise after reversing and then driving forward.

2017 Fusion, 3rd time it's been in for a dead battery. ACM and a few other modules were already updated, dispatcher got with hotline and they have some tests they want me to run.

That's just what's inside the shop, I have 9 more tickets in my folder to look at sometime.

16 F550 6.7 radiator and cooling fan. Covered in guts from an animal I have not identified yet. Smellin pretty ripe in the summer heat :puke:

• 2 weeks later...

Man did I have a weird one today. I'm laying here trying to go to sleep and it hit me.

I have an 11 F-350 the customer states the brake pedal will intermittently go to the floor. I definitely verified it and I could not imagine what the hell it could be.

What I did find was a RF shock that was hanging out of the axle and the bolt and flag nut are gone. You can clearly see the caliper is hitting the shock on a full lock right turn. What's happening is the caliper hitting the shock is pushing the caliper pistons in on the right side and the next braking event after a right turn has to push the pistons back out for the pad to contact the rotor.

It's just like when you have to pump the brakes after a brake job.

I put the shock back in with a new bolt and it never did it again but I could not figure out why the hell that mattered

• Like 1

In this job every once in a while something puzzles the $%%&^$ out of you until the light bulb comes on. I had a big burly active duty Marine that I thought was going to throttle me over his car going through brake pads all of a sudden to metal on metal and his complaint of pedal to the floor. On the third time in and his wife leaving for church and running through a stop sign down the street. I for some reason found cleaning stuff in trunk. This car was spit shined spotless every time I worked on it. My nosy ass had to dig around and in the cleanining kit was some military labeled mil spec cleaning acid. His wheels would have these spotless streaks on inside when removed and ZERO evidence of brake dust. I went to trash and pulled some pads taken off something and poured this stuff on the pads and let it sit for 30 minutes. The cleaner acid dissolved brake pads. The pad material could be brushed off metal backer like a pile of dirt. AH-HAH! Clean car on Saturday and momma drives out Sunday AM and applies brakes and pads disintegrate, pedal to floor, run through stop, metal on metal, scored rotors.

I did the acid demo for the Sergeant and that was the NICEST guy from then on. We had gotten warranty assistance on his brakes 3 times due to his lifting supplies from the base and using aluminum tank cleaner to get his wheels spotless with no elbow grease. He then said that thinking about it, every time was the next time the car moved after he did the full on clean up for his wife.

I got the acid but I never had anyone f--- with me where I needed to dissolve their brake pads.........

• Like 1

Had another weird one today. 15 F-250 towed in for a no start. Scanned it for codes, nothing. Pulled up my fuel pids. Koeo low fuel pressure is fine. Crank on it for 5 seconds, verified the no start, no FRP. Cycled the key a few times and it fired right up. No hesitation at all in FRP climbing. Now it can't recreate it

Just finished putting a 5.4L in a 2008 F250. 383,000 KM. 14920 hours. :surprise:

2017 Mustang that grinds into 3RD when shifting at 6000 RPM

I inherited a check engine light on a 15 sho that was in escelation at another dealer before the guy got fed up, traded the car and the dealer shipped it to auction.

Good news for my dealership is it's still under warranty.

Today I TIG'd a new cat on my girlfriend's Grand Cherokee so it would pass emissions. I started out trying to weld it on the vehicle but I could not for the life of me get the tops of the joints. Had to pull the whole Y and do it on the bench.

image.jpg

• Like 1

So my 17 Fusion with the intermittent battery drain had already been sent to the escalation team at hotline( my manager made a contact already), they recommended 2 weeks ago to attempt to drive 2-3 times a day, attempt to push every button, open every door, hood ,trunk, etc. They wanted every system to activate and wake up to see if a module was not going to sleep. Then perform my battery drain test. So far I have not identified a drain yet, it usually averages around .013 amps on my meter. I'll have an intermittent spike to .130-.150 amps, but hotline states that it's normal. So when I talked to them yesterday to give them the update, I was advised they will be getting my FSE involved. It's the 3rd time it's been here at the shop for the concern, my first time to attempt to diagnosis it. Also ACM and some other modules had already been programmed to the latest calibration, which I verified.

89 E350 motorhome with a 460 - died while running and then crank no start.

- put a lift pump in it due to low fuel pressure reading (suspect was running only off of the boost pump)

- then put a distributor in it for erratic spark. found the roll pin holding the gear in place all out of sort

Runs. Now to find a timing light. This thing is as old as I am.

89 E350 motorhome with a 460 - died while running and then crank no start.

- put a lift pump in it due to low fuel pressure reading (suspect was running only off of the boost pump)

- then put a distributor in it for erratic spark. found the roll pin holding the gear in place all out of sort

Runs. Now to find a timing light. This thing is as old as I am.

I'm only 4 years older than you and I have one in my box. Slacker.