What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

89 E350 motorhome with a 460 - died while running and then crank no start.

- put a lift pump in it due to low fuel pressure reading (suspect was running only off of the boost pump)

- then put a distributor in it for erratic spark. found the roll pin holding the gear in place all out of sort

Runs. Now to find a timing light. This thing is as old as I am.

I'm only 4 years older than you and I have one in my box. Slacker.

haha. this was quite literally the first distributor i've pulled since trade school - as evidenced by the fact that i was 180 out on the first try. honestly, i'd rather chase open networks and intermittent driveability than a no start on this pre-obd 2 stuff.

• Like 1

My timing light lives at home. Just takes up space in my toolbox at work, but i use it regularily at home. I'm not much older than you, but feel i am possibly part of the last generation of techs that learned about carburetors in trade school. I regularly work on hot rods, boats etc. at home.

Give it a couple or three years and we will put out to actually have to slide a connector into a diag plug. Wireless, already mostly scanned when it gets to the service bay is over the hill. Then telematics link where you might be able to call a customer and ask them to come to the dealer as their truck is alerting you that their DPF is too often carrying too high a soot load. The vehicle will time stamp ROs based on contact time with the vehicle chassis. 

Then we'll get to cars that drive themselves to the shop after they drop customer at work. No more loaner cars and porters will become obsolete. Then the robots will come and start doing the repairs. I want to see that. The robot will rotate to its plasma cutter tool and cut a hole so it can start those $%#&&@^ nuts and bolts.

No, I have not been drinking and have not taken anything but my blood pressure drugs.

Give it a couple or three years and we will put out to actually have to slide a connector into a diag plug. Wireless, already mostly scanned when it gets to the service bay is over the hill. Then telematics link where you might be able to call a customer and ask them to come to the dealer as their truck is alerting you that their DPF is too often carrying too high a soot load. The vehicle will time stamp ROs based on contact time with the vehicle chassis. 

Then we'll get to cars that drive themselves to the shop after they drop customer at work. No more loaner cars and porters will become obsolete. Then the robots will come and start doing the repairs. I want to see that. The robot will rotate to its plasma cutter tool and cut a hole so it can start those $%#&&@^ nuts and bolts.

No, I have not been drinking and have not taken anything but my blood pressure drugs.

Tesla is doing remote diagnosis and sending a tech to swap parts at customers home or work.

BMW has been using the telematics stuff already too. Some of this stuff is not too far off for the mainstream volume brands.

John Deere is doing telematics in there machines now, if you pay the subscription of course. You can call the dealer and say this light came on, they log into your account and can see everything as if they had scan tool hooked up. Also with auto steer now you can program the machine to do everything for you( pick up the implement, turn at the end, put the implement back in the ground). All you have to do is drive it to the field you want and push the button. Crazy expensive so not to many people use it around here, but it's there. The combine can take control of the grain cart tractor and position it where it wants. All for a not so small fee of course. It is crazy what's out there and where will it go?

Not yet, but you might use the Uber app one day and instead of a self driving Fusion or Volvo you might have a John Deere 8360R show up driverless to take you to the bar.

Day 4 out of the dealer putting 8 injectors, standpipes and dummy plugs in a 07 F-550.  They're probably gonna have me fix all their 6.0s then shit can me when they find out I can't do anything else.  :haha2: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2011 6.7L Someone else changed EGT 14, it also had a whistle noise from the extension pipe leaking/bolts broke.

Before...bung partially broke, EGT sensor threads messed up & not seated all the way

EGT 14.jpg

After... I used GM part# 11570821 for the studs, the knurled part was slightly smaller the OE so they were tack welded in place

After.jpg

So for an update on the 2017 Fusion with the battery draw concern. Following hotline's response, I could never identify an draw. It mostly averaged around .013-.015 ma. It was then escalated to my FSE, which after talking to engineering had me replace the GPSM module. This car was equipped with the standard radio( no touchscreen or nav). Anyways, she picked it up last week before I went on vacation and hasn't come back since.  

- 2014 Escape 6F35 with harsh reverse engagement and the odd flare on almost all upshifts. trans is going back in now.

- 2011 F550 6.8 going knock, knock, knock

- 2014 F150 5.0 for a left side cylinder head ... P0308, down 8% on relative and coming out the intake like they always do

- 2011 Subaru WRX for both head gaskets

I got an International rollback that someone was undoing a delete on it and the broke one of the bolts that holds the egr valve in. I worked on it for 2 1/2 hours today. There is some sticking out. I can grab onto it, but the stupid thing won't turn no matter how much heat I pour into it. Of course it's aluminum too.

Well at this point I feel like every car coming in for service is for me.

2008 E-250 5.4  Customer complaining of intermittent stalling. Verified it, engine would start and stall. Sometimes it would idle, but pressing accelerator pedal would cause it to die. Had P1233 for Fuel Pump Driver Offline, along with P061B for Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.  I found a bad Fuel Pump Driver Module, replaced Fuel Pump Driver Module and cleared codes. It ran fine, they come to pick it up and its acting up again. Now I have the P061B returning, along with P2105 and P2107.

2006 F-150 4.2. Getting plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, and induction service.

2016 F-150 2.7. No start, overtemp warning message. Found ECT reading -40 degress, 4.99 volts. Removed intake and fuel rails, found a rodent has chewed through the ECT wiring. It got turned over to the guys insurance company, gonna replace the knock sensors( they come with the ECT connector), and reseal everything back up.

2013 F-150 5.0, missing on cylinders #2, #4, and #8. All 3 had low relative compression. Cylinder leak down test found 90% leakage out the intake valves. Truck was out of warranty, but boss turned it into CLP. Pulled the heads and looks like #8 cylinder wall is worn, can hardly see the crosshatching. Pushing to get Ford to approve putting long block in it.

2015 Explorer 3.5( Non-EcoBoost). No power at WOT. Weak Fuel Pump.

2015 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost. Customer is complaining about a slapping noise coming from the rear diff when accelerating. My road test didn't find anything, so I got to wait on them to contact the customer for more info.

2016 Fiesta Customer states after driving in the rain, multiple warning messages came on. Also said when people get in and out of car it makes noise.

2016 F-150 5.0. Overtemp message on dash and always showing hot, even after cold soak.

2013 Escape  2.0, getting a engine harness.

2001 F-350 7.3. Customer bought a transmission from us and had another shop install it. Now they claim it's slipping.

I think I have some more to look at, but that's what I can remember right now.

Put a water pump on an 06 DT466 today. Very simple job. Also hung some loaded trailer brake assemblies on a small trailer we have.

I was worried this job wasnt going to give me enough mental stimulation at first but it's doing quite well. It's still work but I'm not killing myself everyday. I didn't do any wrenching yesterday at all. Welded on a tar truck all day

Put a water pump on an 06 DT466 today. Very simple job. Also hung some loaded trailer brake assemblies on a small trailer we have.

I was worried this job wasnt going to give me enough mental stimulation at first but it's doing quite well. It's still work but I'm not killing myself everyday. I didn't do any wrenching yesterday at all. Welded on a tar truck all day

I'm almost jealous. That's the kind of stuff I get to do on the weekends at what I refer to as "Second Shift". It's making it harder and harder to keep coming into the circus during the week.