Whah! F450 only does 80 MPH!

Rate this topic

Customer ordered a 2008 F450 6.4L dually, loaded to the T. Tows a sprint car hauler 5th wheel... calls the dealer yesterday complaining that his truck will only go 80 MPH. His 2006 F350 6.0L Dually goes over 90 while towing. He wanted to know what was wrong. We told him, and we explained that the engine was also slightly detuned.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif WHAT!

This might explain why he has gone through two sets of head gaskets and an EGR cooler. What a !@#!?$!.

Don't these people know this before they order these trucks? Remember, he is a race car driver. They DO know everything you know. I wonder if my sales team knows about this...

I looked into this (Google) and so far I believe the "national speed limit" was repealed back in the 1990's and maximum speed limits are the responsibility of the States. I know the maximum speed limit here in NJ is 65 MPH so my friend Ricky Racer shouldn't have a legal gripe.

I here the troopers in NJ are really not that nice when it comes to speeding. I live near the Ohio/Michigan border and the troopers like pulling over cars from different states. I haven't been pulled over by a Ohio trooper but I here they have credit card machines right in the cruisers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Yeah, the 450's and 550's are governed to 81 MPH. The dealer told me that it couldn't be raised. I replied that if it has wiring and computer control that I can change it.

They told me that my Ranger could only do 90MPH...I took the dealer out on a "rush ride" and cracked 134 until I ran out of RPM. I told him as we pulled back into the dealership that I can make one go faster than 81 MPH lol

But I do agree that you don't need to be hauling 26000 lbs at 80. Although the class 8's have been known to barrel past me. I have checked the max vehicle speed on a couple of trucks and they are well into the triple digits.

I do know that there is a difference in speed rated calibrations for 6.0l F250-F350's VS. F450-F550. The difference is about 15 MPH. I found this out first hand when our parts dept. ordered a F550 PCM for a F350. The customer brought the truck back the next week asking what I did to his top end speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't blame Ford for doing this. They might not feel that this huge truck is safe to go over 80mph. I really don't understand why any passenger car should have to go faster than this.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
19633 2008 SUPERDUTY - DTC P0297 IN MEMORY

SOME 2008 SUPERDUTY VEHICLES MAY HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE(DTC) P0297 (VEHICLE OVER SPEED CONDITION) IN MEMORY. THIS CODE SETS WHEN THE VEHICLE MEETS THE VEHICLE SPEED LIMITER. FOR F-450/550 INCLUDING THE F-450 PICKUP, THE SPEED LIMITER IS 81MPH. FOR F-250/350 THE SPEED LIMITER IS 95MPH.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/22/2007

Just had a guy set this code, 96.3MPH

• 4 months later...

We had one set at 82 mph, 6 minutes after startup. Think this guy lives 6 minutes or so from the freeway?

(edit: didn't have the fingers lined up on the right keys and had 91 mph listed originally)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drove home an '08 F-450 problem child tonite and had to check out the limiter. I live 40 miles from the dealership and it's all interstate. I was watching the boost gage going up a hill and decided to bury the throttle, 81 mph! It's like cruise control for somebody with a really heavy foot.

18 wheelers run triple digits out West, I think if you got the machine that's capable then go for it.......of course I live in the East. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk2.gif

You are right about one thing...race car drivers do know everything....I am on a race team and can verify that lol It's never the driver....it's always the car..

My whole argument is why do they need to go faster than 80? Especially with all that weight on. Sure they can get it rolling, but it won't stop any quicker. I call these morons "super truckers"

I crewed on a Formula Atlantic car for 2 seasons and from what I observed from the owner/driver and his owner/driver buddies: when they do very well (we had the regional championship both years) it is becuase of their superior driving and strategy skills. When they do poorly it is because of something that the crew screwed up.

Nice to be appreciated, isn't it?