6.0 ficm failure

Rate this topic

Anyone seeing any ficm failures?I had a 06 f-series today with a code p0611 and all the injector circuit low codes for all the cylinders.Ficm m-pwr showed 24.5 volts on pid data.i checked the power and grounds to the ficm and they were ok so i replaced the ficm and the codes cleared and now ficm m-pwr is 48 volts and the truck runs better. The problem i have with the truck now is between 2800 to 3200 rpms the truck smokes heavy white smoke and misfires. Power balance is not giving real usuable data at that rpm range and the customer said that it wasen't missing like that before the ficm problem. Any idea's ? Could the low voltage output from the ficm have caused injector failure on some cylinders? How would be the best way to determine which cylinders are down or am i looking in the wrong direction. Thanks for any and all ideas.

I just replaced a FICM because the engine would intermittently lose cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7, with varying high/low ckt codes for the cylinders. The FICM's 2 smaller connectors are the injector harness connectors, and coincidentally, cylinders 1 4 6 and 7 are controlled via one connector, and 2 3 5 and 8 are controlled by the other connector. Internally, the FICM is "wired" the same way.

Couldn't find any damage at all in the injector harness so it got a FICM, haven't had a problem since. (This was in an E-450 school bus FYI)

Dave

FICM failures are not unusual, but your problem could be in many areas, and not just the FICM. I can't the number of times I've been burned by "the customer says", /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif as he may be trying to get free stuff from you (nooooo, really?). I'd start with fuel pressure under load and some Stanadyne in the secondary FF to see if the misfire changes or improves.

I've always stated a necessary item to have on hand is a known good FICM. If you can't figger out how to get one, they are easily available at car-part.com for $100.

Good Luck!

PS As time goes on, I'm betting we see more and more FICM failures. Seeing the hot environment that it lives in and the work it does, it is inevitable. I always kept a IDM on the shelf for 7.3s and found it to be an indispensable tool.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's been suggested that the inductive heating strategy is hard on FICMs... Personally I think I've replaced way more FICMs since that strategy came out than with the previous ones.

I replace a couple of ficms a week. Have also noticed a high failure rate after the inductive heat strategy. It has got to be what is killing them as I did not replace hardly any ficms before that reflash. It fixes the injector problems but it is killing ficms left and right.

Shoot, I have seen one only this year and that was in a LCF and they don't have the inductive heating program. It did leave with the post-buzz though. I once made a similar reply about head gaskets on 6.o's...

...right before the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

I guess now my parts dept. should stock a couple? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My parts monger and I were talking about this tonight. we had a rash of failed FICM's about a year ago then it just died we didn't do one till last week. I not sure if it's temperature related but it was hot last week? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I had a rash of them late last year then nothing, now the temperatures have come up I've got 2 that failed in the last 24hrs, this ain't a good start to the summer.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Shoot, I have seen one only this year and that was in a LCF and they don't have the inductive heating program. It did leave with the post-buzz though.

I believe LCFs, F-650s and F-750s have both post buzz and inductive heating.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Shoot, I have seen one only this year and that was in a LCF and they don't have the inductive heating program. It did leave with the post-buzz though.

I believe LCFs, F-650s and F-750s have both post buzz and inductive heating.

The last time I spoke with hotline that is what I was told.

From what I was told, it (obviously) works better to have both. Problem is, too many people complained about the post buzz on pick-ups and vans, they got rid of it.

You must have seen/read all the complaints about it on those 'public forums'.

I had a rash of them late last year then nothing, now the temperatures have come up I've got 2 that failed in the last 24hrs, this ain't a good start to the summer.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Now there's a third...

• 4 months later...

Currently we are replacing one or two a day. That is until they became unavailiable recently. The ones that still run but are hard starting cold we have been telling customers to plug in until they become availiable. That seems to be working for them. The ones that dont start are lining up out back! I believe the new program is just helping the FICMS that are on their way out to quit quicker with the extra load on them. If you unplug the EOT and plug in a 80K resistor in the circuit it will simulate a cold enough engine to activate the rapid heat strategy. Unbolt the power supply to alt and glow plugs at right battery. now turn key on and monitor FICM power if it drops below 45V replace. I have checked them without doing that and they stay over 45V but once you plug in the resistor they have dropped below causing the no starts. That is why the new startegy is failing them quicker, and BTW just unplugging the EOT wont activate rapid heat. I have tried this and saw that the PCM just tppk the last normal reading and substituted it. Hope this helps.

We started to keep one in stock at all times, but now they are backordered and only available in an emergency and not expected to be restocked till next week(if they can keep up with the demand). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

I can't remember when these things weren't popping like pop corn. Man I don't think I could count how many Iv'e done. However, They do seem to fail more when it's really hot out or then obviously when winter hits here and those frozen FICM drivers have a brain fart and nearly sh!t themselves trying to fire those wonderfully engineered injectors. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eeeesh.gif

Well, i had one that has a symptom of a bad FICM, all the usual codes and we've had a rash of them. Replaced FICM, all of a sudden just stalled and then got a p0611. By luck of a draw I was f-in around I tapped the FICM relay and truck stalled. Be careful with that one.