head gaskets

Rate this topic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

short answer yes,even in the new model training for the 6.4 Ford talks about the benefits to the cab lift and why they did it that way,but if you have to do a super duty in chassis it is not the end of the world

Different strokes for different folks I see... I don't remove the cab to replace headgaskets, and still do them in under a day. I'm sure it's harder on the back to do it cab on, but still don't find cab removal necessary.

Different strokes for different folks I see... I don't remove the cab to replace headgaskets, and still do them in under a day. I'm sure it's harder on the back to do it cab on, but still don't find cab removal necessary.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

LoL, lift the cab

...and you are HOW old?

Shit guys, you can do EVERY 6.0 repair in chassis. Hell, there's a guy on the Ford site that does BEDPLATE GASKETS in chassis. He even posted about it!

Alex knows what I'm talking about..

Quote:

Thomas Cook

B7191
DAVE LANDON MOTORS LTD
PORT HARDY , BC
posted Aug 06, 2008 2:40AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do them in the vehicle by lifting the engine and stuffing a 2X4 under each engine mount, gives enough room to drop the pan and everything else. Cut the CAC hoses loose and pull the rad. Robaxacet is good for the twisted back after torquing the mains. I use a ratchet strap on either end of the crank to keep it from dropping. I'm sure others have good info for you.

Alex Bruene

B1342
DONWAY FORD SALES LTD
SCARBOROUGH , ON
posted Aug 06, 2008 7:26AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice... really nice...

Originally Posted By: ktmlew

...and you are HOW old?

UmmmmOK...wait till you're 50...your back won't be as willing and you don't even have to "hurt" it...

From my understanding pulling the cab is usuallly about an hour & a half "added" to the job? I tend to believe the ease of disassembly and asembly with the cab out-of-the-way wou;d make this a break-even situation but haven't done it myself?

We pull cabs on F-150's to do head gaskets or valve stem seals, I like to have the damn thing out of the way if it's possible. Started pulling cabs in '97 it was just a natural progression when the 6.0l came out.

UmmmmOK...wait till you're 50...your back won't be as willing and you don't even have to "hurt" it...

+1

I know this sounds like Grandma, but take care of your body. You only get one chance......

BTDTGTTS

Pull the frigging cab.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have nooooooooooooooo intention of working this hard at 50... if infact doing this at all...

From my understanding pulling the cab is usuallly about an hour & a half "added" to the job? I tend to believe the ease of disassembly and asembly with the cab out-of-the-way wou;d make this a break-even situation but haven't done it myself?

I couldn't agree more. The "added" time taken to re & re the cab is more than made up for, in the time subtracted once the cab is out of the way to enable access to properly torque the fasteners and re-install all the components without resorting to hackery. No more was this more evident, than when another tech (trying to prove to me that cab-removal was "unecessary") in my shop tried removing the heads from an F-150, eventually getting approval for a long block from Ford, and taking between double to TRIPLE the time I would've taken, if I had gotten the job. In the end, almost all the wiring and the firewall insulation was completely hacked up after the job was finished, not to mention the moaning, groaning and swearing that the whole shop had to endure while the job was being carried out.

Quote:
BTDTGTTS

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I agree pull the cab. I'm 22 and I herniated 2 discs and tore one trying to torque head bolts on a 6.0L in cab. Had to pull the head off a 2.3L ranger the other day, took one look at the intake and the coolant hose cluster#$%^ on the back of the head, team leader came over to me and asked which damn diesel guy pulled the cab on a ranger. Motor got swapped in about 45 min though.

well thanks for all the input guys i got another one that i have to do an engine in the wsm says to just pull the front clip but screw that im lifting the cab!

• 1 month later...

Pulling the cab is the easiest way--seized turbo inlet pipe to manifold bolts anyone? Those rounded/seized turbo to pedestal bolts are cake also when the body is off. At the end of the day when I go home, I am a lot more pleasant if I didn't spend the day laying on top of a 6.0 and tightening head bolts. Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Im with Alex on this. I've pulled 6.0 cabs before but got irritated when some jack ass moved the chassis and I had a hell of a time trying to get the cab to line up again. I just pulled both heads on a 6.0 this morning, cab on baby!! It's really not that hard and like everything else in life it really comes down to tecnique. I also think there is too many things that IMO can go wrong in lifting the cab. The last thing I need is for a customer to come back and say that the have a weird squeek everytime the hit a bump. And no, I don't hack them up when done with cab on. You cab pullers, what are you gonna do when you get a party bus with an overhang on the cab? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whattodo.gif 'just pull the engine?' By the time you pull the engine, I'd have both heads out. This one's for you Alex. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

You cab pullers, what are you gonna do when you get a party bus with an overhang on the cab? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whattodo.gif 'just pull the engine?' By the time you pull the engine, I'd have both heads out. This one's for you Alex. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Are you referring to E-series or F-series? If this were a situation I came across, I would tell my SM to arrange to have the overhead obstruction(s) removed, to enable cab removal (and I don't who pays or how much it costs and to whom) failing which I refuse to do the work.