6.0L Oil Leaks!

Rate this topic

I keep reading over and over again that "the dealer replaced my rear main seal for the bell housing leaks" and the posts usually mention several repair attempts to stop an oil leak. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif The amusing thing about this is they almost always report that the leak is still not fixed and turns out to be something else after replacing multiple rear seals. :rolleyes: I personally have yet to see a single rear crank seal leak but that's not to say that it doesn't happen. Just about every possible source of engine oil leaks on a 6.0L PSD shows up at the bell housing sooner or later. Amazing but it's true! So let's try to get to the bottom of this oil leak enigma and collect our own data and come up with the most accurately common sources of oil leaks. Please participate in this two part poll and feel free to post comments as well.

A lot of the oil "leaks" that I think we are reading about some kind of knee-jerk reaction (for want of using a better term). Some anal type sees a bit of dust clinging to a surface and now we have a major leak....

Vehicle costs are skyrocketting... consumers equate this with "better quality" rather than it being a fact of life...

Nav did some checking into this last year, and found that the majority of the "bellhousing" leaks were related to assembly lube leaking out of the torque converter, over time. These leaks generally appeared as "stains" on the bottom end of the bellhousing, and some trucks take quite a few miles before they fully "dry up."

Their main thing to watch for was for actual drips, and/or the presence of the UV dye in the oil. Either could indicate a rear main leak, but they also found many other sources, as y'all have noted.

Regards,

Jay

Quote:
Nav did some checking into this last year, and found that the majority of the "bellhousing" leaks were related to assembly lube leaking out of the torque converter, over time.
Yeah, this fooled a lot of us. My first experience with a 6.0L leaking started out blaming this grease and ended up being a rough casting/machining of the bed plate sealing surface. The pictures of that one are in the Photographs gallery. Ironically, I discovered that the grease also reacts to a UV lamp and looks similar to oil with dye in it. I learned the hard way as this was before Ford put out a special service message on it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Quote:
I have a couple 2004's I service that have oil that blows up on the inside of the hood at the rear. So far no one has complained. I haven't investigated nor saw any ssms about it. Any ideas?
Wow, this is the first you are seeing this? It's usually caused by the CAC tube at the intake elbow. The plastic tubes don't always seal well. Try tightening the clamp a little or upgrade the tube to the metal one with the rubber connector hoses. I have also seen am SSM on oil filter cap seals leaking from not being replaced with the filter.

• 4 weeks later...

impacts are great for taking stuff apart..... if we're putting stuff together, we need to be real careful...

Good point actually. I have seen the results of my own and my coworkers over tightening of these clamps. We have even caused the clamps to distort to the point where they are actually bending and turning into a cone that pushes itself off the hose when tight. Got a problem CAC hose? REPLACE the hose and clamps and lean the pipes and turbo with Brakleen and dry them first. Once they are damaged, no amount of tightening will fix them.

And on a lighter note: I will be pulling another 6.0L for a bed plate leak and replacing the short block assembly. I removed and resealed this one about a year ago and did some pretty heavy measuring and inspecting of the machined surfaces. The spaghetti gasket channel was machined very poorly, had a scalloped surface. I tried in vane to get Ford to approve a replacement but to no avail. NOW that a short block is available, I can REPAIR it and well under the $8200 cost cap. And this time the cab comes off. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree about the CAC tubes and the tightening. I have seen about every leak on the list including a bed plate, but most often it is 2 problems 1: half missing cam sensor o-rings and 2: CAC tubes that have been overtightened, not tightened or just incorrectly removed. I am finding fine cuts in the top hot side tube caused by the clamps on removal and eventually leak and or blow out.

• 2 weeks later...

CAC tubes like to be retorqued, as the hoses take a set with time and temperature cycling. The hot side takes the most set. Try this:

- After installing the hot-side CAC tube, drive the vehicle for 15 minutes or so.

- Bring it back in, let cool for 1/2 hour.

- Check all of the clamp torques. All will need retorquing, and I bet the clamp at the CAC inlet will take at least 1 full turn to come back to the 12Nm spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Hope you don't mind, I stuck one of your pics on the server so we don't lose it from the thread.

Great picture too!

The last one like this I saw was a 2003 with fuel dilution of the oil, you know, a full crank case! The turbo was also seized and the engine grenaded in the parking lot after it "ran away" due to oil and fuel that filled the intercooler. As a matter of fact, there are pictures of that engine in the Photographs section. These are the jobs you end by taking the truck to the back of the lot and stand on the throttle for fifteen minutes to clear it out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

• 2 months later...

HAVE AN 03 6.O CUST COMPLAINING OF OIL LEAK ANOTHER TECH ADDED DYE 800 KM OF DRIVING CHECKK WITH BLACK LIGHT NO DYE EVIDENT SOME OIL IS ON THE BELL HOUSING WITH NO SIGNS OF OIL COMING DOWN FROM REAR OR ANYWHERE ON SIDE OF BLOCK,L OOKS DRY PEEKIN IN THROUGH INSPECTION COVER,IS PULLING TRANNY ONLY WAY TO REALLY PINPOINT REAR MAIN AND BED PLATE LEAKS?OR WILL DYE EVENTUALLY COME OUT THROUGH SIDES OF BELL HOUSING?

If it's dry, what are you looking for?

Was the proper amount of oil dye used? The proper concentration is one ounce of dye for every five quarts of oil therefore three one ounce bottles should have been used. I have also noted that the older and dirtier the oil is it tends to hide the dye making it less effective.

As for bed plate leaks, whether its the bed plate seal or the (crank or cam) sensors, these tend to be slow seeping leaks that may take some time to migrate towards the rear of the engine. This will frustrate you if you know there is a leak but it's not showing. More and more, I am finding defective sensor seals. Take a bright flashlight and examine them carefully for any signs of oil wetness or staining. Any sign merits replacing the o-rings.

Just remember that pretty much any leak on this engine will eventually show at the bell housing. A little intuition, patience and the will to take the time to examine every possible source will help you - if not to find the leak, rule out as many possibilities as you can. Once you start removing things like the trans, cab or engine, you are committed!

• 3 weeks later...

UBET, a lot of customers call a "sweating" an oil leak.... Ford tells us "if it ain't dripping, it ain't leaking...".

If worst comes to worst, have the customer come in and show you the leak....

Many things appear to be "relative" in nature.... I can't count how many times I've cured a running concern simply by hooking up the VDR... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

oh im well awhare of that, i d rather not disturb anything on these engines if i dont have to and unless its dripping, i dont even look, this guy came back a couple weeks later bell housing dry sent him on his way, i did replace a rear main on a 6.0 the other day mostly becuase it was diaganosed by another tech already but it was barely weaping, i personally would not have called it, the majority of leaks i have seen is cac tubes

• 1 month later...

After putting in a new branch tube connection, this 6.0 had a few leaks. ( 4-mechanics at diffrent stages)The rear cover & rear main was changed than the high pressure pump cover was changed twice (t-joints leaking) cleaned it again found weeping from around the top of the oil cooler fixed that. Then it was the cam sensor o ring cut changed that. Than it was the front cover leaking right above the p/s pump so I changed the gasket plate & the front seal.

Too Many Cooks Spoil The Soup!

• 2 weeks later...

I had intended to answer this when you when you made the post, hope it's not too late. These are the part numbers for the o-rings only:

CMP:

• 3C3Z- 9N693-JA (INNER)
  • 3C3Z-9N693-HA (OUTER)

CPK:

• 3C3Z-9C064-DA

These were listed in SSM#17683 which has been removed from the Ford database. A new service message was released which added the oil filter cap and o-ring and mentions the CMP and CPK o-rings but the part numbers were left out.

If anybody from Ford is reading this and knows who is in charge of SSM's, please send a big THANK-YOU for changing the SSM and leaving out those part numbers! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif