20 gallons of unleaded fuel in a 6.4

Rate this topic

Was wondering if anyone else has had the luxury of unleaded fuel contaimation in a 6.4 . Was instructed by the hotline to replace all the components in the HP fuel system . I knew there was a problem once I pulled a p0087 and p2291 codes. I have been instructed to replace all injectors, The hp fuel pump, The fuel cooler and both lines from it, The secondary fuel filter housing , Both fuel rails, FRP sensor , Fuel filters, Remove fuel cell for cleaning , Flush fuel from both heads, ETC. I understand the maintaining the fuel system to a pristine condition is impeartive but the cust is up to 5 grand in parts alone, She was able to file a claim with her insurance. Has anyone else had to deal with this ????

SVB 2008-30N

2008 Super Duty 6.4L - Service Tip - Fuel Tank filled with Gasoline, and the truck HAS been run;

If a 2008 Super Duty equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine has been filled with

Gasoline and has been driven, it is now recommended to perform the following:

1. Drain the fuel tank, dispose of the contaminated diesel fuel in an appropriate

manner in conjunction with local laws and regulations

2. Fill with fresh clean good quality diesel fuel

3. Use the Low Pressure Fuel Pump to flush fresh clean diesel into the fuel

system*

4. Replace the fuel filters (primary and secondary filters)

5. Replace ALL High Pressure fuel system components; High Pressure Fuel

Pump, fuel lines (from fuel cooler to pump and also from fuel rails to injectors),

fuel rails and ALL 8 injectors.

6. Use the fuel cooler bleed procedure in order to get the vehicle started

7. Change Oil and Filter and perform the High Pressure Fuel System test to verify

for leaks, repair as necessary.

8. Perform SSM 19755 to clear any other air in the fuel system.

2008 Super Duty 6.4L - Service Tip - Fuel Tank filled with Gasoline, and the truck has NOT been run;

1. Drain the fuel tank, dispose of the contaminated diesel fuel in an appropriate

manner in conjunction with local laws and regulations

2. Fill with fresh clean good quality diesel fuel

3. Replace the fuel filters (primary and secondary filters)

4. Use the Low Pressure Fuel Pump to flush fresh clean diesel into the fuel

system*

*Procedure required to properly flush the fuel system:

Remove the rear Fuel Cooler Line that comes from the High Pressure Pump at the Fuel Cooler. Cut a 1/2" length of 3/8" rubber hose to seal the banjo bolt when re-installing into the Fuel Cooler without the fuel line attached. Place a larger hose over the return fuel line in order to direct the fuel into a suitable container. Use Active Commands or Cycle the key to allow the fuel pump to flush the lines. Plugging the Fuel Cooler during this process will prevent air from being introduced into the High Pressure Fuel System causing a no start.

Failure to follow these procedures may result in fuel system and or engine damage. Repairs required due to use of improper fluids and fuel are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See Warranty and Policy Manual and Customer Information Guide for details.

I had one that had been run and obviously the customer was not going to pay for all fuel system so he paid us to take a chance with flushing it out like a 6.0. truck ran fine after and have not seen it back but who knows what the future holds for that guys poor ol fuel system

I have had about 4 trucks with gas in them. I have cleaned the fuel tanks, replaced the filters and flushed the fuel lines on all of them with good success. I have not seen any of them come back. The only one that did have damage was a truck that the customer ran out of fuel. That one damage a few injectors.

I had one that had been run and obviously the customer was not going to pay for all fuel system so he paid us to take a chance with flushing it out like a 6.0. truck ran fine after and have not seen it back but who knows what the future holds for that guys poor ol fuel system

I hope you flagged that fucker in Oasis...

Next dealer down the road may get it for some driveability concern, and I'm sure the customer will pipe up and say "Oh yeah, I filled it with gasoline by accident!"

Originally Posted By: rockbronco

I hope you flagged that fucker in Oasis...

Next dealer down the road may get it for some driveability concern, and I'm sure the customer will pipe up and say "Oh yeah, I filled it with gasoline by accident!"

I have one right now that I know had some bad fuel at one point in it's life because it came in for a no start and fuel samples are clean from the pump and from the shrader valve but had all kinds of debris in fuel filter. Truck has 18,000 miles on it and it's an 2009. Since we couldn't verify any bad fuel the service manager told me start with the HPP. Did that and got the pressure and everything need to start but still wouldn't start. After about two days of trying all kinds of things finally decided to contact hotline again and was told to replace everything else. Talked to service manager and he said do what Ford says. So I replace everything and now truck starts and runs. Now I just hope and pray it doesn't get kicked back because even hotline said it would be hard to prove that bad fuel caused the problem because the fuel is clean now but we know how it goes.

The fuel sender assemblies have to be replaced also, the gas eats up the plastic and the silicone by-pass valve.

The 6.4 fuel pumps will shell and contaminate the injectors.

You can do an inversion test on the injectors. If they don't "pop" while cranking,the tips are plugged.

We see about two a month with the pumps shelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had one in customer filled with gasoline somewhere, when it got to me it only had 1/4 of a tank left and vehicle had stalled and would not start for customer. Once it was at the dealership i drove it in, had an injector that was misfiring. Replaced the injector flushed the lines, replaced fuel filters, dumped a bottle of conditioner in the secondary filter housing and another in the tank, started it up, it ran fine roadtest was fine and haven't seen it back since. I prefer to try the flush and fill with diesel method, if a problem persist then go for the more expensive alternative. and so far the expensive alternative hasn't been needed... but reading what happens to the pumps i'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Have had one in customer filled with gasoline somewhere, when it got to me it only had 1/4 of a tank left and vehicle had stalled and would not start for customer. Once it was at the dealership i drove it in, had an injector that was misfiring. Replaced the injector flushed the lines, replaced fuel filters, dumped a bottle of conditioner in the secondary filter housing and another in the tank, started it up, it ran fine roadtest was fine and haven't seen it back since. I prefer to try the flush and fill with diesel method, if a problem persist then go for the more expensive alternative. and so far the expensive alternative hasn't been needed... but reading what happens to the pumps i'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Was this warrantee? Was the truck flagged? This is important stuff....

Ahhhhh .....

But now the customer is gambling hard.... and if something goes south, and Ford says "too bad, so sad" we all know where the blame will fall....

The only "happy" thing I ever get to say to a customer is "your truck is fixed" ... and, sometimes, that turns into a lie...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Our 6.4 at the mounatin just had the pleasure of having about 12 gallons of gas stuffed into it. Truck wouldnt start and we towed it to our shop. I drained and cleaned the tank, fuel filters replaced, lines flushed and conditioner added. She fired right up and runs strong. Put about 50 miles on her and still no issues. Really going to keep an eye on it though. Some operators here dont relize how crital maintenance and proper care is required for that truck.

Our 6.4 at the mounatin just had the pleasure of having about 12 gallons of gas stuffed into it. Truck wouldnt start and we towed it to our shop. I drained and cleaned the tank, fuel filters replaced, lines flushed and conditioner added. She fired right up and runs strong. Put about 50 miles on her and still no issues. Really going to keep an eye on it though. Some operators here dont relize how crital maintenance and proper care is required for that truck.

You can be preventative, and replace the HPFP now, or wait until it blows up and replace the whole fuel system.