Non OEM Scanners

Rate this topic

What self tests can be done with most non ford scan tools?

I was asked by a vehicle owner how an injector buzz test was done... I explained but since I have no experience with aftermarket scanners or diagnostic equipment I cannot advise if this can be done without the use of Ford scan tools.

All of the KOEO, Buzz, KOER, Cyl contribution (non-graphical), output state, etc tests in the basic menu can be done on all PSD's by any decent aftermarket scan tool (must be CAN compatible for 6.0/6.4, but all late tools are). By "decent" I mean all brand name scanners and exclude $100 scan tools sold at cheapie auto parts stores.

The biggest deficiencies that lie in aftermarket tools are all of the advanced level tests- cyl balance (graphing), bidirectional controls, EGR and turbo tests, flashing, full PID lists, communication with all modules, cyl cutout, etc.

NGS PC does have a few of the optional tests- cyl balance graph and some bidirectional controls, but the program is so buggy I could not consider it reliable. For instance, when I commanded the IPR closed, it opened it 100%.

Posted Image

I just purchased the autoenginuity scan tool due to the upgrade they did january 18 2010 with the new proline connecter.I have talked with them quite a bit and they have told me they will be releasing power balance in about 6 weeks.I hope that it happens.It will also do pats key programming and an amazing amount of self tests such as air bag,antilock brakes,instument cluster,tire pressure sensor,stability system,air ride suspension,climate control,4x4 system,and many others.I compared it to the IDS on several vehicles and it found all the same codes in every area including u codes every time.Lots of new bidirectional controls which alow you to control solenoids such as ipr and egr.I really was amazed at how close the new version comes to oem manufacture scan tool quality.Release 8.1 is out but has a couple of bugs.They have given me release 8.2 to experiment with which has not been released yet but fixes most of the bugs.It has alot of 6.0l and 6.4l stuff now but was told they were getting ready to release a bunch more on powerstroke diesels in a few weeks.

Yes, I have AE also and was involved with Jay writing the early versions of 6.0 software several years ago. I see Beevo (Bill Van Orden) regularly at the major training conferences. Bang for your buck, it's the best value in an aftermarket scan tool by far. Updates are only $50/yr for each continent (Domestic, Asian, Euro). The Pro tool right now is $1200 for Domestic and $2400 for Dom/As/Euro. I think Snap-On updates are almost $1000 per year.....

Posted Image

I think you can do an injector self test on a 7.3 with a Snappy scanner, but I can't remember rightly. I will have a look on Monday, we have one at work for doing off-brand stuff.

I have my own IDS, snap on, and the Auto Enginuity. The Snap On only really comes out now for FIPL sensors on old 7.3's. AE works really good; might have to look into the new Proline connector if it improves Duramax capabilities.

I really hope that it is better with the new proline connector. The old connectors were a pain in the ass with dodge. I never was able to get it to work correctly. Thank god I only have two dodges to deal with. I just got my new proline connector in the mail on friday. I tried to program the proline unlock code, and it told me I need to update my subscription(which I knew and forgot to tell them when I called). So have to call tomorrow and get the update code. I have been very satisfied with my AE tool. The only thing I didnt like is that I am kind of limited when it comes to 6.0s, which sounds like they are working on.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/, Ebay, or from Aatec tool, Mike Tighe, 330-239-1647

http://www.aatecusa.com/

Beware of Ebay as they also sell a DIY version starting at $200(?) that's generic only. Get the Pro version, like I said above, Big 3 Domestic is $1200, updates are $50/yr. Include the full blown Asian and Euro for $2400 total, updates $150/yr.

Mike Tighe's a good guy to deal with and gives you some extras for the same money.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

About Auto Enginuity, we have domestic enhanced, and we got the updated advanced connector. We find it kind of slow, and sometimes hit and miss on applications, especially body and chassis systems. Am I just expecting too much from it after using the oem scan tool? We are running it on our IDS Toughbook, so it should have enough power. I haven't updated it for quite a while, since noone has really warmed up to it yet and it doesn't get used alot. We don't have the proline connector yet, It would have to make a dramatic difference for me to consider it.

Yes, if you compare AE (or any other aftermarket scanner) directly to the IDS (or any other OEM tool) you will be terribly disappointed. I never said it was a good replacement for the OE tool, I said it is a good value for what you pay and what it does. AE will do about 75% of what an IDS will do on a SCP vehicle and about 30% of what an IDS will do on a CAN vehicle. Remember you're paying 1/6th the amount of money for it, too. ($2700 vs $450 for enhanced Ford AE)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys don't realize the IDS is a frigging rocket ship in scan tool technology with almost nothing comparing to it. I hear the new Chrysler WiTech is better than the IDS, but I haven't used one yet.

Comparatively, slow? Yes, absolutely. The update rate on the IDS is about 20 times per second with 5 Pids selected, the AE will update only about once every 3-5 seconds with 5 Pids selected. This will be reflected in the clunkiness of the graphs compared to IDS.

There will be glitches present on Pids available, occasionally connection problems and other problems, too, but that's how aftermarket scan tools are. All of them, bar none, refer to paragraph 2.

Try a Snap-On scanner sometime on a Ford CAN vehicle- you'll find the same problems, perhaps even more, and a price tag big enough to choke a horse. The updates on a Solus/Modis are about $1000/year, and that's without flash files! AE has more Pids available than Snappy does on their tools. Updates are $50/yr per continent (that's $50 for Ford or domestic, $50 for Asian, and $50 for Euro if you buy all of their options).

JBarnett: DON'T LISTEN to anything the Snappy salesman says, he's likely to be extremely uninformed and a terrible liar. He'll say anything it takes to get you to buy the tool and then dump you on tech support when it doesn't do what he says it will. If you're serious about buying a Ethos, borrow one for a week (if he'll let you!) and make sure you investigate it's bidirectional controls on CAN vehicles (which will be slim to none) and flash a PCM with it, too. On a GOOD day, (by the time you identify the file, download the file, and blow it into the PCM) it will take 30-40 minutes to flash a PCM, and that's IF nothing goes wrong. ALL aftermarket scanners have plenty of glitches, period. Snappy LIES to you about their tools' capabilities and robs you on updates, mark my words. AE will do nearly everything Snappy does (except Troubleshooter) at a fraction of the price.

I don't own every scan tool, but I do have over a dozen. I have used nearly every scan tool on the market.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Thanks Bruce, thank kinda what I was thinking. We are so spoiled with IDS, yet I still hear lots of complaining about it. I feel good when I take an IDS to some of the local shops to help them out (you rub my back and I rub yours) and they are amazed at what it will do. I'm sure if we had more opportunity to use the AE kit it would become easier.

I have been considering a getting any ae for some time. I checked their web site and found nothing about power balance being added. Has any one that has one herd any more about this.

IIRC, it will be in the "next" release. Call Beevo (Bill Van Orden) at AE for details.

Aftermarket scan tool companies are starting to crack some of the FMC CAN bidirectional code. There used to be NO bi-di but now "they" have some, and more will be on the way soon.

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

http://www.autoenginuity.com/, Ebay, or from Aatec tool, Mike Tighe, 330-239-1647

http://www.aatecusa.com/

Beware of Ebay as they also sell a DIY version starting at $200(?) that's generic only. Get the Pro version, like I said above, Big 3 Domestic is $1200, updates are $50/yr. Include the full blown Asian and Euro for $2400 total, updates $150/yr.

Mike Tighe's a good guy to deal with and gives you some extras for the same money.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Apparently the prices/bundles have changed?

Pro-Line Scan Tool Bundle

#SP01 - Includes:

• ProLine Interface (ST06)

• Enhanced Ford Expansion

• Enhanced Toyota Expansion

• Enhanced Chrysler Expansion

• Enhanced GM (+CAN D) Expansion

• Enhanced Honda Expansion

• Enhanced Nissan Expansion

• Enhanced Mazda Expansion

• Enhanced Hyundai/Kia Expansion

• Enhanced Subaru Expansion

• Enhanced Mitsubishi Expansion

• Enhanced Isuzu Expansion

$1399.95

European Expansion for ProLine

#SP07-2 - Includes:

• Enhanced Audi/VW Expansion

• Enhanced BMW/MINI Expansion

• Enhanced Mercedes Expansion

• Enhanced Jaguar Expansion

• Enhanced Land Rover Expansion

• Enhanced Porsche Expansion

$1199.95

Domestic Scan Tool Bundle

#SP05 - Includes:

• Enhanced GM (+CAN D) Expansion

• Enhanced Chrysler Expansion

$799.95

Asian Scan Tool Bundle

#SP06 - Includes:

• Enhanced Toyota Expansion

• Enhanced Honda Expansion

• Enhanced Nissan Expansion

• Enhanced Hyundai/Kia Expansion

• Enhanced Mazda Expansion

• Enhanced Subaru Expansion

• Enhanced Mitsubishi Expansion

$799.95

European Scan Tool Bundle

#SP07 - Includes:

• Enhanced Audi/VW Expansion

• Enhanced BMW/MINI Expansion

• Enhanced Mercedes Expansion

• Enhanced Jaguar Expansion

• Enhanced Land Rover Expansion

• Enhanced Porsche Expansion

$1399.95

And most importantly the Ford bundle is still fairly cheap.

Total Ford Scan Tool Bundle

#SP03 - Includes:

• USB Scan Tool (ST06)

$399.95

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I just bought the Ford bundle and added the GM expansion so I can play with it on my S-10. They have changed the cable set-up from the older versions. The DLC connector now disconnects from the cable. The cable is a generic 10ft USB AM to Mini USB 5P cable. I think I'll get a shorter cable as the 10 footer is overkill when 95 % of the time you will be sitting in the vehicle.

Now I need to buy a Netbook...my 17" laptop is too bulky and a power hog...

I bought mine straight from AE. Forgot about this post...more info as I get to use it. Have a guy that has several 6.0L's that I can now work on. Hopefully will be able to buy the reprogrammer at some point:

VSI-J2534 Hardware Interface

#VSI-J2534 - PC J2534 Pass-Through Device for reprogramming ECUs. Includes ST07 ScanTool.

$1099.95

Forgot to mention they have just added a security dongle. Just looks like a flash drive. Bummer if you only have 2 usb ports and use a mouse. Just bought a cheap 4 port USB hub.

• 5 months later...

Keith,

Unfortunately none of our diagnostic software is compati!ble with ford. Servicemaxx (our diagnostic plarform) is what we use for all of our engines including the T444E(7.3) and the vt365(6.0),is not even capable of speaking the same "language" as automotive applications. A few of us in the shop have our own generic scanners. But that is the only technology we have capable of doing it