No more E series

Rate this topic

kellyf

We were told today in 6.7 class that there will soon be no more E series vans made.They will be replaced by the larger transit vans,kind of like a sprinter van,will be the replacement.These vans are sold in europe with a four cyl diesel.Over here they are not sure what powerplant it will receive.Yea I know,it breaks my heart to.I will miss them so much.Ha Ha

I have nothing against E-Series vans. As long as they don't come equipped with a 6.0L. I hardly think the Transit is EVER going to be able to handle the same loads as the E-series. A Focus wagon could haul heavier loads than those POS in my opinion.

Perhaps this might be in the wrong forum.... "the opera ain't over until the fat lady sings...".

THIS doesn't look like any "swan song".... As a smallish people mover (10 to 15 passengers) the only competition is the Savanna unless the buyer wants to invest in expensive custom coachwork on a cut-away (cut-away... wouldn't that be a E-Box?).. Oh, yeah, they could use a F series for that... but smallish people movers usually have turning radius as a deal breaker.

HOW ABOUT THIS?

The way I read it is that DIESEL E-boxes are on the endangered species list. The supply of 6.0s is surely about to implode - especially since these will be a "dirty" engine and wind up costing at least one manufacturer valuable "clean air" points.

This isn't to say that somebody isn't busy looking for an affordable alternative to dying technology... As long as the E-box enjoys profitable demand, you will see new e-boxes... as long as you see new e-boxes, you can rest assured that someone is looking for ways to fill that lucrative diesel powered niche....

You guys have the right to wave shit in my face and say "I told you so"..... But I'll bet the farm it ain't gonna happen.

So... what is the Sprinter or the Transit Connect? This would be the cock pump version of the Caravan and Freestar...

Compare the "Freestar" (actually the Boeing 377) Posted Image

to the "Transit Connect" (the Super Guppy conversion) Posted Image

The world is an amazing place.... We didn't need mini-vans until someone convinced us we did... We didn't need "fast food" until someone convinced us we did... The things we really do need.... well they come second place to a good ad campaign...

The Econoline basically paid for my wedding 10 years ago. I'm a little sad. Posted Image

I got married something like 37 years ago... you have NO IDEA about SAD!!!!!

The E-box started here

Posted Image

and this wasn't as popular as Ford wouyld have liked

Posted Image

In the early 70s, there was the boogie van craze... along with the "orgy pit" couch craze.. but you could never tell we were preoccupied with "getting laid". Well.... almost never.

You guys have the right to wave shit in my face and say "I told you so"..... But I'll bet the farm it ain't gonna happen.

I will take that bet. I could use a good farm.

Oh i meant 4.9, my bad.

You are thinking of the 300 I6 which hadn't been developed yet... Going from memory, the "BIG" sixes were the old 223 and the new 240 (the 240 would grow into being the 300... the 223 remains in that foggy limbo in my mind, but I recall seeing that in some late 50s/early 60s stuff and I recall it being 'similar' to the 240/300).

These Econolines, however, were first treated to the small sixes. In the very early 60's, Ford had a family of siz cylinder engines with a cast in place intake manifold. Started with the 144 and the 200 and grew (caution - memory thing) into the 250.

I recall seeing some with V8s but don't quote me... Early 70s saw a whole new E-box.

^^^ Correct on the 6 cylinder info Gym!

I'd love to build a straight-axle Econoline with a big inch motor in it, or a turbo motor.

This is the first Econo that came to mind: The Back Up Pick Up!

Posted Image

And in the style of pickup/tradesman vehicles: (Yes i know it's a dodge lol)

Posted Image

This was back when radial tires weren't even a thought, and a 10" tire was a 10" tire...not a 10.5W (which measures out at almost 14" wide depending on rim width)

I think I was born in the wrong era.

I remember the horsepower years... some of the factory offerings bordered on exotica... 440 - six pack, 389 tri-power... a lot of dual quad set ups... compression ratios in the 10.5s and higher...

Then they realized we weren't doing ourselves too much good...

Being alive back then had it's benefits... no motorcycle helmet laws, cheap herbs and you could have casual sex without galoshes.... Gas was 32 cents an Imperial gallon, smokes were 35 cents a pack and a glass of beer was 10 cents in the bar....

Look at me now..... Posted Image