Dirty MAF

Rate this topic

Thought I would just mention this: Had a 2004 6.0L in the shop and I was performing a KOER self test and it did not complete, spitting out a P1102. I looked at the signal and the MAF signal was really fuzzy. I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with CRC MAF sensor cleaner and reinstalled it. Reran KOER and it completed... with no DTCs.

Thought I would just mention this: Had a 2004 6.0L in the shop and I was performing a KOER self test and it did not complete, spitting out a P1102. I looked at the signal and the MAF signal was really fuzzy. I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with CRC MAF sensor cleaner and reinstalled it. Reran KOER and it completed... with no DTCs.

Did this happen to have one of those garbage aftermarket K&N cold air intake system boxes? The last truck I had with a fuzzy MAF signal like that had one of those. I cautioned the owner about cleaning out and re-oiling the element to ensure it doesn't bugger up the MAF sensor. You didn't happen to get a P0113 as well did you?

No P0113. No K&N either. This unit had a stock filter with a Little bit of crankcase vent oil and dirt on the sensor. Some is to be expected but this one had more than usual for some reason. It had a new filter in it - perhaps the covers went unlatched at one point.

I had a dirty one on a merc maruader once. The customer was complaining of no power. There was no codes on all eec tests.

Maf pid was at like zero and all o2's were at zero and would not change when reving the engine. I checked the maf cuz when i drove it it felt like a bad maf. It had some crap on the wire, i cleaned it off and reinstalled. The pids were still at zero, i disconnected the battery and touched the pos and neg wires together with the headlights on and reconnected. All the pids read normal and then it took off like a bat out of hell. A dirty maf could do some weird stuff.

Before everyone jumps all over this.......

Several years ago, Slave Lake was smack dab in the mddle of the worst forest fire season we'd seen in a long, long time. Our cars and houses and everything else were coated in a layer of ash... Even burnt twigs were carried aloft and delivered to our yards.

That particular year wasn't remarkable. The year after that - and memory wants to drag in even the next year - we started seeing rough idle problems associated to contaminated MAF sensors.

Even the best filter will allow dirt smaller than X microns to pass. Even the best regions will sometimes have dirt smaller than X microns...

If we are to do one thing in our careers... keeping an open mind is likely amongst the top one things we need to do.

Techs are most likely to be heard saying either "that never happens" or "I've never seen that happen before".

Was the dirty MAF related to any other symptoms besides not being able to run KOER test?

I made the post because I thought it was unusual the KOER self test would not complete. This was due to the fact that the MAF is required to perform air management checks. I have simply never seen this test kick out on a 6.0L... as Jim stated just because you aint seen it dont mean it aint possible. At least I was able to figure it out quickly and move on.

As far as symptoms go I cant say what affect the filthy MAF had on this engine. I was running the test post-repair. The truck was towed in not running. It had a rusted fuel tank, inoperative fuel pump, two injectors leaking combustion and a cracked cold side CAC tube. 8 injectors, a fuel pump and a CAC tube the engine is running again. Since the tanks are not available from Ford until August this is the truck we are having the tank relined which will take a week to get back. (hey it's better than three months)

For the Moment I have fabricated fuel lines from fittings cut off of the old pump with fuel line attached and submersed in a 5-gallon fuel can which is bungee corded to the frame.

If I could have driven the truck I would guess the symptoms would be hesitation, lack of power and maybe a surge as the PCM tries to figure out what is going on with EGR flow and plays around with the EGR valve and the VGT.

I had a maf on a 6.0 one time blowing egr insufficient flow codes. You could run and rerun the air management test and this thing would pass all day long. It had absolutely no driveability sypmtoms. Just a check engine light coming on. Finally just had to start inspecting everything and found a leaf stuck in the maf. It had a stock air filter on it.

Last MAF concern I had was an early truck, it was doing all kinds of funky shit with the EGR and VGT, causing all sorts of troubles.

^^^ Yup! It had a couple fucked pins, and there was for sure some busted wires RIGHT at the connector.

Changed up the pigtail, clear codes, VGT learn, good to roll.

I had one on an o8 yesturday. The medics complained of some strange drivability syptoms. I could'nt verify it. The cel was not on and eec tests pass. Egr test failed twice for maf in running test 1. I put in a new one and egr test passed, tested it again to be certain and pass.

The only time I've replaced a MAF sensor was for failing during the EGR test. I don't think the MAF sensor was a casual part for any concern and I was running the EGR test just to verify other repairs. I did replaced a MAF on a 6.4L once for excessive regen after running the PP test. I don't think that fixed that concern either, it was just customer perception-it was a 450 that towed a race car trailer on the speed limiter all the time.

I have done quite a few mass air flow sensors on 08's for excessive regeneration, usually the KOEO MAF pid is all over the place, way way high, or way way low, when compared to a known good unit.

What is the best way to clean a MAF? I was told to never touch the wire and if it acts up all you can do is replace them. I apolagize for rookie question but they are expensive and if I have the need to clean one I dont want to wreck it.

CRC Mass Air sensor cleaner is formulated specifically to clean these senors. Chemicals like carb cleaner or brakleen will damage the coatings on them. I have been using the CRC MAF cleaner for several years now with no problems.

CRC Mass Air sensor cleaner is formulated specifically to clean these senors. Chemicals like carb cleaner or brakleen will damage the coatings on them. I have been using the CRC MAF cleaner for several years now with no problems.

+1 Works wonderfully if theres just some crap on the wire!

I got in an argument with an engineer at AFE. A customer put on one of their cold air kits and the cel kept coming on. Kept showing excess egr flow detected (p0402 ? i think) Wont complete an egr test, maf falls way low. Tried known good sensor. I determined it was due to the oversized air inlet pipe, causing a reduction in air velocity, thus a miss calculation in Air mass. The engineer ( or who-ever the f**k i was talking to) had absolutely no idea what i was talking about and could only say that i was completely backwards, their system allows more air into the engine so the sensor should read higher air flow. I gave up shortly after that.

BTDT, those AFE twits seem to be nothing more than kids making junk.

A customer with a duramax truck, programmed, un-filtered, and penile-extended w/26" low pros on a 4wd give us a spin on trans filter to put on his Allison.

These filters have a magnet that's supposed to rest on the top of the filter, with the oil holes to the outside of the filter near the seal.

The AFE filter has its holes where the magnet sits. Thus, blocking oil flow.

They came back at us, with both their sales rep and their junkineers, "don't you know, we're advanced FLOW engineering" with a super condescending voice.

We put the filter on as demanded, made the customer sign the RO where we stated the filter's oil flow was blocked.

Wouldn't you know it, the trans blew about 3 days later.

AFE = Absolutely Fucked Engineering

+1. I had one experience with that brand of air filter with one of my bonehead customers who I told not to remove/replace/chip his brand new 2008 F250 6.4. The AFE filter kept causing the truck to set a code that listed a cause as aftermarket modifications. I Googled the code and found numerous references to that brand of air filter causing that particular problem and recommending the original equipment filter as the best for that application. After removing the AFE, the code never returned. Go figure. Posted Image