Vehicle mileage before failure

Rate this topic

HGM

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions for you regarding a conversation I had with someone the other day..

What kind of mile "life span" have you come to expect out of the 7.3L? 1-700,000mi? I'm not really looking for customer induced things like modification caused failures or dusting, just actual life with proper maintenance..

Now, I understand this next question is open for alot of comments, please keep it objective.. What is the most you have heard on a 7.3L or 6.0L?

I personaly have heard of 6xx,000 on a 7.3L and saw an RO that the service manager verified they did most of the service work on a 6.0L with 550k..

No comments on this one yet? I'm shocked! :P

I don't get to see many post warranty vehicles but I recall two that were in the 200,000 area. They were both travel vehicles for a fifth wheel camper and a horse trailer and in quite good condition. That likely explains the mileage. Most of the trucks used for vocational purposes get beat up rather quickly in my area. I don't get that at all. You would think that an expensive truck is an investment when it comes to businesses.

Quote:
I highly doubt the 6.0s will make it that far.
Not to change the subject but why do you say that? Many people speculate that the EGR system is going to play a role in longevity of the new engines. Perhaps the lack of EGR will make the 7.3 look superior over time?

Quote:
I highly doubt the 6.0s will make it that far.
Not to change the subject but why do you say that? Many people speculate that the EGR system is going to play a role in longevity of the new engines. Perhaps the lack of EGR will make the 7.3 look superior over time?

I dont have a problem with this getting sidetracked a bit.. I appreciate the input guys,though I too am a bit surprised there havent been more takers /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Although I dont always check in daily either.. Keep the reports comming if you dont mind...

Keith,

The biggest stumbling block against EGR is that the customers have never been told how to operate their trucks.. They see the big rigs idling all night long and think they can do the same.. The cooling effect of a diesel at idle adds to the carbon build up and failure.. The best thing a guy can do now is treat his diesel like a gas burner, dont let it idle and drive it like an F-150..

6.0s can't even make it out of warranty. Much less 200k miles.

Ford has a BIG problem on their hands.

Chevy will pass Ford in truck sales by the end of '07. I predict.

Point taken, but dont forget that we work on broken vehicles.. You dont go to the doctor when your feeling good do you? BTW, ask some GM techs how good the Duramax is, they have some of the same issues..Dodge is the one to worry about..

This thread wasnt started to add opinions of 6.0L quality, I just want honest expectancies of diesel truck engines in general(actually more 7.3L) than anything else.. Like I said, I understand you guys(myself included) have seen some bad stuff and quite a few early failures with the 6.0L, but there are still allot on the road that we dont see, I know of several pushing 200k with proper maintenance and treatment from the customer..

Thanks for the reply anyhow..

OK..getting back on track.

Seeing 7.3 with over 200k miles is not uncommon.

We are lucky to live in a society where we can afford(most people) a new vehicle every 6 years. That said, I don't think people would keep a vehicle that long.

Look at the redesign rate on cars and trucks. Cars used to get updated/redesigned every 5 years, now the cycle is 3 years and expected to drop even further.

Trucks were on a 10 year cycle, now we are looking at 5 years.

Working at a dealership,we don't see too many vehicles with over 200k miles.

OK..getting back on track.

Seeing 7.3 with over 200k miles is not uncommon.

We are lucky to live in a society where we can afford(most people) a new vehicle every 6 years. That said, I don't think people would keep a vehicle that long.

Look at the redesign rate on cars and trucks. Cars used to get updated/redesigned every 5 years, now the cycle is 3 years and expected to drop even further.

Trucks were on a 10 year cycle, now we are looking at 5 years.

Working at a dealership,we don't see too many vehicles with over 200k miles.

You know, its funny you say that.. I find it hard to believe that a well taken care of 7.3L isnt lasting at least 500k... I have talked to techs that put cups in some at arround 600k.. I wonder who's working on these high mileage diesels /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Some of these trucks are worked accross the country and accumilate large quantities of miles very quickly, 300K isnt allot of miles, , you dont see them for sale or blown up, where do these trucks go?.....

I believe many of them are fleet vehicles. I also think that the average diesel owner is not anything like your average car owner. It's almost like a cult in a way and many of them work on their own trucks. My experience over the years is that most owners do not continue to use the dealer for service and repairs after the warranty period is expired. That said, I also think that the older engines are still within the capabilities of most owners and private technicians. The newer engines like the 6.0L and the new engines coming at us may prove to be very different. Perhaps if "we" get our act together now the new generation of diesel engines and trucks will be a different story in the long term.

I also believe that it may be wise for any diesel technician in the dealer ranks today start paying attention to hybrid design and technology. Alternative fuels and clean diesels are the future. I mention that for two reasons; Self preservation for one and secondly, I predict great numbers of people who currently own these big powerful diesels like the 7.3L/6.0L may insist on keeping them for a long time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I believe many of them are fleet vehicles. I also think that the average diesel owner is not anything like your average car owner. It's almost like a cult in a way and many of them work on their own trucks. My experience over the years is that most owners do not continue to use the dealer for service and repairs after the warranty period is expired. That said, I also think that the older engines are still within the capabilities of most owners and private technicians. The newer engines like the 6.0L and the new engines coming at us may prove to be very different. Perhaps if "we" get our act together now the new generation of diesel engines and trucks will be a different story in the long term.

I also believe that it may be wise for any diesel technician in the dealer ranks today start paying attention to hybrid design and technology. Alternative fuels and clean diesels are the future. I mention that for two reasons; Self preservation for one and secondly, I predict great numbers of people who currently own these big powerful diesels like the 7.3L/6.0L may insist on keeping them for a long time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Very good points, I totally agree....

I worked on a cube van that the last i saw it had over 700,000 miles I think I did brakes on it a couple of times a year. I also worked on another E350 that had over 450,000. The owner also said he has 2 others with 650,000 and 1,200,000 All of these were delivery vans that didnt pull a lot and recieved regular maintence.

I have also worked on a 2006 F-350 that has been on the road about 5 months first repair put the conneciton on the high pressure pump that blows out second repair about 3 weeks later put 4 or 5 injectors due to plugged fuel filters the first repair the truck had 72,000 the second had 96,000. He wasent from my area but I hope he comes back I would like to see how long it lasts and what repairs he has to make.

• 1 year later...

Our delivery trucks as follows: 2001 F250 278000, 2000 F450 490000, 2003 E350 176000. All running well, pretty much just pm's. Other than that they all have gotten transmissions,brakes etc. no major failures. Have heard that we may replace the F450 in the fall with a Sterling Bullet. Will see what happens.

they all have gotten transmissions,brakes etc. no major failures

Transmissions are not major failures? Or was that the new preventative transmission maintenance replacement program? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Okay, I know I am up in the land of igloos and whales, but where I come from is a low life province called Saskatchewan. It is a Farm driven province and the economy there sucks.

Anyway, the point is that the majority of hard working people there who buy new trucks for their farms or for work do everything humanly possibe to maintain theses things so that they last a lifetime. Because it is such a huge investment to them that they cannot replace them regularily. With that type of mentality there, I have seen Superduty 7.3's hitting 1,000,000km's or 620,000 miles no problem and still run like a dream. They were usually in for their tenth cam sensor or so.

My one uncle out there farms 5000 acres and custom combines down in the USA. He is a heavy duty diesel mechanic by trade as well and overhauls all his own equipment. He bought a 99' F-350 brand new and maintains it to the nines. Whenever I talk to him says he can't believe how clean the oil is whenever he changes it. He says it's still a nice brown and he is tempted to run it in his tractors. he pulls a fifth wheel travel trailer down to the USA with it every summer when he is harvesting down there. It now has 600,000km's or 372,000 miles on it and he says it still runs like a dream.

If a sick litre can make it off the lot without coughing up a carbon ball, that is amazing.

I've seen a few 7.3l's in the 475,000-500,000 mile range. These were some pretty "used and abused" trucks. As far as 6.0l's, Maybe i've seen one with around 125,000. I'm sure there are some high mileage ones out there but I haven't seen any yet.