2005 5.4L 3-Valve: Defective Injectors!

Rate this topic

There are problems with injectors on the 5.4 3-V engine and possibly other engines. I have a truck in with a check engine light on that runs terrible. There is a SSM suggesting that one or more injectors may be faulty. I have verified that and my diagnostics found that this truck has four injectors dumping fuel. The Hot Line engineer I spoke with said that there are a lot of injector problems showing up on this engine.

Once those boys w/ their ratty old Econoline recover their canoes, they'll be by to drag that 3valve Expedition to the dealer to have all the plugs removed and blow all the fuel out of it.

And if the owner is lucky he won't have any engine damage, and the longest he and his family will waste of their vacation is a few days waiting for the injectors. HA!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

• 8 months later...

And just as much fun as diagnosing a set of bad diesel injectors. Had one today but a 2006. Wont hold pressure to pass a leak down test so reletive flow test cant be done. Power balance shows three misfiring. Replace them, three more show up. replaced them too. You know what happend next dontcha? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Had a V-10 towed in this week from our fleet facility. 312 miles, hydrolocked with gas and had gas dripping from the tailpipe! All said and done, ten new injectors with an oil and filter change. I saw no evidence of debris or water, nothing. This is strange.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We've had a number of the 3 valve that actually bend a rod when they hydrolock. Replave the injectors and plugs, run it and still a low contribution and or knock!

The first one we did last year was a Navigator, and it needed the cats too by the time it was done, as the raw fuel killed 'em!

Good thing some penny pincher was able to save a few cdents on each injector....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

and hope and pray cat doesnt clog . time will tell

I'll pray for you to but I don't think it will help 9 out of 10 I see wreck the cat on the affected bank/banks it may take just long enough for you to forget thats the truck I put x number of injectors in.

We replaced an engine (complete ford with new injectors) in a expedtion that hydrolocked and bent a rod one month later it was towed in with #3 cyl filled with fuel "NEW" injector dumping fuel.

• 3 months later...

I've yet to see a "new" injector fail, but we've had a rash of these bitches coming in, smoking like crazy and running rough. All '05 models too, this wasn't a problem on '04's and the '06's have the updated injectors.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen just throw an injector and plugs in and ship these things, just to have it come back a few weeks later with a misfire code for the same cylinder they reparied. Relative compression testing only shows 4-5% loss sometimes, which isn't anything to really concern yourself with too heavily, but a MANUAL compression test shows incredible losses and this has always turned out to be a bent rod. These trucks run pretty well with a bent connecting rod, it's surprising! I've personally replaced 5 or 6 3-valve 5.4's this year and have seen a couple more come and go.

Dave

• 1 year later...

We actually seen one about a year ago it didn't entirly hydrolock but when the tech next to me got all done. it had a knocking noise. bent rod. I alway check powerbalance if it comes in running. then I do a fuel test if it doesn't hold pressure I replace those injectors on the cylnders that were missing. I found that it helps if you blow out the fuel in the intake when you take the injector out

• 2 weeks later...

I had one with two stuck injectors. After replace still ran rough called hotline and was told replace all four on that bank and check exhaust back pressure. After replacing plugged cat truck ran fine.

So... has anyone seen the new ESST for this concern? Looks like something the doctor gives you to pee in... X 8....

FWIW... almost every one I have done so far returns at a later date with a catalyst efficiency code on the affected bank.

I had that tool kit out the other day because my service manager and the customer pre-diagnosed the truck for me - awfully nice of them don't you think? It came in for a check engine light but running okay. Turned out the HO2S2-1 wiring was damaged by the mis-routed shifter cable. Long story short, I didn't get to use the tool Jim, but it is funny how I too immediately thought of urine sampling when I first opened the box.