Turbo Failures

Rate this topic

So anyone starting to see a trend of turbo failures on the chassis cab trucks? I now have 3 trucks that have gone down with a turbo failure in my fleet. They all have between 20-40k on them. When I was at the dealer I had the empire truck(thread is in this section) it had a past turbo failure and when it was in my bay for the valve concern it had another turbo dead. Seems the bushings are taking a shit and the vanes are hitting the housing which is obviously exploding at that point.

I have not heard of any issues with the regular pickups only the chassis cab which I guess is good and bad. I assume there might be a trend developing with the changes the chassis cab trucks have engine wise.

whats the news on the grapevine?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chassis cab turbo bearing go bad on one. It happened to be the one that had the cracked valves but the turbo went out later. I contacted the hotline because it sounded like a roller bearing with a bad spot on it and it would still make the noise after you shut it off until the turbo stopped spinning and the hotline said they did have roller bearings instead of a bushing and they have been seeing problems with them.

I had a chassis cab turbo bearing go bad on one. It happened to be the one that had the cracked valves but the turbo went out later.

same here, the one I did the long block in came back a month later with the turbo making noise when cold

Word from My Ford rep is this is a known concern and under investigation. He took all the info from our past turbo failures and forwarded it to engineering. Word on the street is we will see a TSB regarding this concern in the future. just a little fyi for you guys

Does anyone know if there a difference in Chassis and Cab engines? Or it may be how they are used. [Long idle times?] I am looking at a leftover F450 up here. Don't want it if there is trouble lurking! Already had that with my 6.0.

The cab in chassis engines get a different turbo entirely. It's a standard VGT turbo while the other trucks get a dual boost turbo + wastegate

As far as I know the engines aren't any different but surely the calibration is.

The turbo and engine calibration are different. The cab and chasis is rated around 650 ft/lbs torque vs. the 800 plus in the regular style trucks. Ford figures the guys who buy the cab and chasis want reliabilty over power. Horsepower is lower too but I forget the numbers, it's under 400 I think.

Similar in the fact that it's a VGT, however really nothing else about it is the same. Actually the turbo is cooled by engine coolant, you'd think it would be a little more durable

Not sure who makes the 6.7 VGT, is it garrett?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody seeing failures on F350's. I have one that makes a squack noise on cold start when the turbo spools up. It's not the normal turbo noise, we compared to another truck. It sounds worse when you shut it down cold and the turbo slows down. Inford is down today, looking for info. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The truck that I replaced the turbo on that I mentioned earlier in this thread came back after 13,000 miles and it's bad again. Contacted the hotline and their response is

"To aid in preventing repeat turbo bearing failures, please ensure that there are no oil feed or drain restrictions. Also, ensure that the IDS is at the latest level (76.03A) and reprogram the PCM as this may also aid in preventing repeat turbo failures."

Also, ensure that the IDS is at the latest level (76.03A) and reprogram the PCM as this may also aid in preventing repeat turbo failures."

That BEGS for an explanation. I am not refuting it by any means, I am just curious as to the how and why.

• 1 year later...

sooooo I still have turbos taking a shit on our F550s. We just lost another one on a one with less then 15k miles. I personally drove this truck from Iowa(where the truck was completed) to AZ. I did my thing which includes checking for updated calibrations and updated if needed before going into to service. We then sent it to Elko NV where it has been working until yesterday.

I have another one in Las Vegas that just died last month. Its now on its 3rd. This one is in the 60k range and seems to loose a turbo every 20k miles or so.

So whats the real deal? I have a feeling this "program" is nothing more then fluff.... Posted Image

• 1 month later...

We dropped another one last week, this one has about 60k miles on it....

still no answer on the cause....so far about 50-60% of our 2011 6.7 550s have lost a turbo

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another turbo takes a dump. This truck had its first turbo replaced in July of 2012 at 17k miles and now it has about 34k miles. This one had the typical rotating assembly blow up

The only new thing I see in oasis is a SSM warning to check the intake,exhaust and CAC for debris. I would think this is common sense when replacing a turbo that has failed in a mechanical way. This step not being done could answer some of our repeat failures however I think there is more too it. It almost seems like we have a 15-20k miles interval to them failing and if we had debris causing the failure I wouldn't be as predictable as mileage.

From everyone I talk too apparently We are the only fleet having this issue on the west coast Posted Image

All the turbos I'm replacing have bad bearings and no fin damage and the most I've replaced on one truck is three. When the third one goes out they should be out of warranty. This truck is the one I had that I started the thread about 6.7 cracked valves. It is so overloaded that we have to replace the brakes every 25,000 miles so that turbo is working overtime all the time.

All of ours to my knowledge have all had fin damage or at least the fins have run into the housings and ate themselves. Our trucks are not overloaded and I am up their ass about the maintenance and idle times. If we keep the trend up will be on our 5th or so turbo by the time we run out of warranty. So far I have had 3 trucks with 2 turbo failures each which has been the most I have seen and only one of those has 60k on it. The other two are about 30k now.

I really dont know where the issue is that is causing us to have so many failures. Other then these turbos this motor has been kickass for us