Turbo Failures

Rate this topic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trigger the remote start on my 6.4 truck before I shut the key off in the off chance I need to walk away immediately after arrival at my destination.

For those unaware, if you hit the remote start button when your truck is already running it stays running when you pull the key out. This is the old style command start system, not the integrated one on the new trucks.

Apparently you can do it with the integrated system too, I'm just not sure how.

I have tried to keep mine running with the intergrated system but have yet to fiqure it out. I dont use it often enough in the raptor to have spent much time researching if its possible

• 2 months later...

I have a 2011 f-550 right now that has a failed turbo.  There is lots of play in the wheel and oil leaking into the scr system.  I went to get approval for an scr system and they denied it telling me that it does not damage the dpf like in the 6.4's.  I was told to remove the whole scr and stand it on end to let the oil drain out, then slowly get the engine to operating temp and then perform a active re gen to burn off oil in the exhaust.  Has anyone else been told his by hotline? I can't believe that this is a acceptable repair.

The answer is that big submarine under the truck is not serviceable and costs too much money to just replace. It probably makes sense to clean it up and see what happens but I am sure there is a threshold where too much oil is simply too much. If it's just a little oil it will probably be okay.

I would think that if it looks like this, it's probably done or it won't last very long. :surprise: 

Posted Image

I have a 2011 f-550 right now that has a failed turbo.  There is lots of play in the wheel and oil leaking into the scr system.  I went to get approval for an scr system and they denied it telling me that it does not damage the dpf like in the 6.4's.  I was told to remove the whole scr and stand it on end to let the oil drain out, then slowly get the engine to operating temp and then perform a active re gen to burn off oil in the exhaust.  Has anyone else been told his by hotline? I can't believe that this is a acceptable repair.

If  Ford says cleaning oil contaminated clutches with brake kleen is ok, I guess performing an oil drain on an scr system is ok too. Hey, maybe wash it out with brake kleen too! 

Good luck in getting an active regen to complete today, -28 deg.

Good luck in getting an active regen to complete today, -28 deg.

Ya it should be fun trying to get this thing hot, Forecast does not look good for the week. The prior approval people also noted if there procedure was not followed the scr system may become damaged.  Nice eh

• 3 months later...

From what I understand with 6.7L turbos, aside from tight location, is the reason they fail is cause if over spinning, most of the once I have done are work trucks that either have a heavy box or tire a goose neck. One of the reasons of new turbo on 15 superduty

I did another turbo last week. Dumped a little oil in the exhaust so I just wiped it out with a rag and never told anyone about it.

It's still sitting on my workbench. If they don't call it back for warranty (just a core) I'm going to disassemble it and take pics. Looks pretty close to a 6.0 turbo as far as disassembly. VGT solenoid has to be identical.

• 2 months later...

Im running out of tally space on my wall for these damn things. Had another turbo failure over the weekend, this particular truck has already had 2 turbos replaced and this will be its third turbo in 88k miles

I did another turbo last week. Dumped a little oil in the exhaust so I just wiped it out with a rag and never told anyone about it. 

We were told that oil or coolant in the SCR is no longer grounds for replacement, as they don't get messed up like the 6.4L DPF does.