New Hoist

Rate this topic

So I have been using this hoist that claims to be 15K, but I am not so sure, It is just worn out. Is 8.5 years old lifting heavy trucks all day. I finally talked to our parts and service manager over 3 dealerships after explaining that lift was not safe to my manager for over a year. It was quick and easy. He said the owner said to buy a lift. So, I have some questions about size and brand. We have a very large amount of 1 tons with welders, steel plates in the bed, etc. I would say 12K easy. Then we have a few 450 and 550's we service that are heavier. So what brand, and should I go 15K or 18K. We got a price on a challenger 15K and it was 10,000 plus 600 install. Thanks in advance. Posted Image

Save for an antique alignment rack and one 20 000 lb Rotary, our entire store is Rotary 15 000 lb symmetrical 2-posts. Only once in the last two years have I not been able to lift something, and even then it was a truck that I had no business lifting. They do the job.

ROTARY is the only way to go!!!!!!! Period! 15k or 18k will be a blessing for your shop. I am down here in NC and been to 3 different dealers and not a Rotary lift to be found and all the crap they have.....I wouldn't be comfortable working under a Focus.

These friggin dealers "save" money by buying some inferior pile of crap lift and it doesn't take much to chip in a little more and get the real deal to begin with that will last much longer, be much safer, and make the shop more money in the long run.

I have a 15K Rotary. Trouble free since it was installed, other than a few adjustments from time to time., the only complaint is that it's a bit bulky for cab removals on regular cabs... Steer clear of the 12K Rotary... Isn't quite up to the task.

I have a 15K Rotary. Trouble free since it was installed, other than a few adjustments from time to time., the only complaint is that it's a bit bulky for cab removals on regular cabs... Steer clear of the 12K Rotary... Isn't quite up to the task.

Agreed.

Can be done, but it's not as fun.

https://www.psedealerequipment.com/sites...es/Mach%204.jpg

We have a pair of these ( see link)

Not the ideal setup for some, but this was our only option for our shop. The portability is awesome, I have done a cab lift outside on our concrete pad when the shop was full ! They each lift 18,000 lbs. When used one at front and one at back, you can lift a F750 dump/box truck with no problem, and they work great for cab lifts of any configuration.

I currently use a 12,000 lb bend pack.(floor bump unit, clear overhead) It is 15 years old, and (dont laugh) a very good hoist. Unfortunatly the bend packs built now are not 1/4 as well built as this one. It needs to be replaced this spring, but I dont think we will replace it with another bend pack.

Got word today SPO18n310 bl. 18K 16 ft tall. From rotunda $11499. Price is really good compared to other vendors. I'm pretty ramped up for it. Now how long will it take to get and have installed ....

Thanks for the input.

• 2 months later...

Posted Image

Here it is. The ass clowns that came and installed it couldn't figure out how to assemble the locks, so they put the covers on upside down and loose, and they were upset when they hit rebar. Dude, what did you expect drilling into a concrete shop floor. I had to tighten almost all of the bolts after they left, some anchor bolts were 3 turns from 110 lb.ft. They also didn't hook up the air for the locks, as they are "not plumbers", and the electrical had to be done by another company, as they were not certified to do electrical. I should have just installed it myself. Anyway, It lifted this truck with a massive hydraulic tank run off a pto. Gross for the truck is listed at 17,500 lbs. on the door placard, my guess is it is a little over.

That is the exact hoist I have. Ain't she a beaut? Sounds like you had the exact same crew installing yours as did ours. These guys bragged about how quickly they could get hoists installed. The finished product had much to be desired. When the electrcian hooked up the power he forgot to wire in the shut off up top. OPPS, took 2 weeks to get a guy back in to do it right. Their excuse is the electricians that were invovled in the shop build had never done an automotive shop before. NICE. Back on topic, it's a nice hoist to work on.

That's why when I got my hoist for at home I installed it myself. Why pay someone to fuck something up for you. I did hit re-bar, and I did use a torque wrench on the bolts. It is sweet to have a hoist at home.

Posted Image

Here it is. The ass clowns that came and installed it couldn't figure out how to assemble the locks, so they put the covers on upside down and loose, and they were upset when they hit rebar. Dude, what did you expect drilling into a concrete shop floor. I had to tighten almost all of the bolts after they left, some anchor bolts were 3 turns from 110 lb.ft. They also didn't hook up the air for the locks, as they are "not plumbers", and the electrical had to be done by another company, as they were not certified to do electrical. I should have just installed it myself. Anyway, It lifted this truck with a massive hydraulic tank run off a pto. Gross for the truck is listed at 17,500 lbs. on the door placard, my guess is it is a little over.

• 8 months later...

Well, I officially put my request in for one of these 18K bad boys. I got tired of dickin around with asking the wrong people for a better lift. So I went to the top and asked someone that is actually in control of how money is spent in the dealer. It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I put in a firm request, using words such as safety, productivity, better morale, things such as that. I feel good about my chances of finally getting off of a creeper this year.