3/8 Cordless Impact

Rate this topic

I've switched to Dewalt after my Snap-on drill's switch quit, then the last batteries finally bit the dust for my cordless impact. I had a few Dewalt tools at home and it was a lot cheaper for me to buy all new Dewalt stuff for work than thru Snap on. All of my tools are the 18v cordless, so all my batteries and chargers interchange between home and shop if need be. I have 2 chargers and 2 extra batteries, and that keeps one battery in each tool and I'm ready to swap out anytime. My set consists of a 1/2" drill, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 impacts, angle 3/8 drill, and 2 cordless trouble lights. A big plus for me right now, had my angle drill fall off a truck and shattered the battery and was able to go that night and buy a replacement in town instead of waiting a week for the truck to roll by.

If you go the Dewalt route, price out the bare tool, as well as the kits. The kit will include two XRP batteries usually and a charger, for the extra 100-150 bucks I would buy the kits at first like how I did to get my extra batteries and chargers, as the batteries alone are aroud 100 each, so it's considerably cheaper to buy the kits for the extra batteries.

I have had them all and in my experience the snapon had been the winner. I was skeptical at first the with 3/8s 14.4 snapon impact and its price tag. My dealer let me test drive it for a week and I was sold the first day. The thing rips and I can do most any job with that thing. I think I have had it for almost 2 years now and have hammered the poor thing and its just as powerful as the day I bought it. The battery's last forever compared to other impacts I have had. The success of the 3/8s impact led me to buy a 1/2 and both 14.4 and 18v drills. The 14.4 drill I beat the shit out of each and every day. I drill crap that needs a corded drill for but am too lazy to break it out. I also ended up with a 1/4" for small jobs. I have a huge depend for cordless with my job as I may be too far out in the yard for air hoses alot of times. I know its a hard pill to swallow on the price but IMO its worth every penny. Every other cordless impact brand I have had suck ass and never hold up to the abuse.

I buy mostly Snap-On also but when it comes to cordless impacts you can't beat Matco Infinium power tools. I love their 1/4" ratchet and use it all the time. I have their 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" and 3/8" impacts, screw gun, and 1/2" impact. The 1/2" impact is the strongest on the market and I can crush a rearend crush sleeve with it.

Moved back to Raleigh NC a few weeks back. Went to work at Pep Boys Garner location last Thursday. It's really amazing what a difference in location can have on your outlook/attitude. Everyone is SOOOOO positive and pleasant that it seems odd...

So far it's been fantastic. They give an ASE Master a 100% guarantee for the first 8 weeks. It looks like I won't have much difficulty in turning better than 100%. Depends on if they resist the urge to hire another tech...there is just so much work to be had.

Now I have to update my tools and actually feel good about it. Some cordless tools are high on the list.

I had the IR cordless impact and did not have much good luck with it, The $170 batteries lasted just as long as the warranty and then went for a shit. I now have the snap-on 14.4 impact and I am very happy with it, and way more jam then the IR.

I have used makita forever and had great luck. I used to beat the crap out of them, dropped em off the top of a combine and they held up great. Batteries lasted a long time. I have replaced my 3/8 impact with a snap-on and it to has held up pretty well, has good power. I think the makita stuff worked just as well and was a much better price. just my two cents

• Like 1

I tried the matco and the snap on 3/8  I liked the matco.  It cost more, but it has the lithium battery vs the nicads.  I can run it for several days without having to charge it.  Has plenty of power for a 3/8 gun.  Wish I had one years ago.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 3/8 and a 1/4 inch cordless Dewalt impacts recently and I can't say enough good things about them. I use both of them all the time and don't use my air ratchets as much because the Dewalt impacts are really strong and small enough to fit in small places. I love the fact that they're cordless too.

• Like 1

I've got a snap on 3/8" 14.4v been rebuilt once, they don't like transmission fluid in large quantities.  Been a great impact.  Original batteries are weak though, but for 5 years old they are doing well I think.

Don't know that I could stomach a new one though.  $450 is getting kind of steep.