Fusion 3.0L water pump

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

This is a pretty straight forward job if you have the tools to get the pulley off the camshaft. It can be done without the Ford tools but you would have to get a little creative. The tools have a new global number but that would be of use only if you were ordering them new. If these tools are in your dealer, then they will be in this box tucked away deep in a closet or crevice somewhere. As a matter of fact these tools had the anti rust goop still intact on them.

The yellow arrows point to the removal items needed and the green arrow to the installer spacer.

Posted Image

A standard harmonic balancer puller is used with the yellow items, and a standard power steering pulley installer is used with the spacer pointed out in green. It will have to be a CIII pump thread size.

Posted Image

I take note as to whether the pulley is flush, recessed, or what not before removing it. 

Posted Image

Mount the tools up and pull the pulley off, there isn't that much of a press fit. 

Posted Image

These 3 bolts hold the pump and housing to the engine.

Posted Image

Pushing the pulley on is quite simple.

Posted Image

Daughter made a program for our dealership that cured the problem of looking for tools. Wierd thing, the local vocational school borrowed that very box this week (they needed that tool too). Minute and a half on the computer locating it.

I find this thread very amusing. I just had to do that very same job on a 2008 Escape not too long ago. Like you Brad, I couldn't find the proper tool to save my life so I resorted to the exact method, using literally the exact same tools in my own personal arsenal.

Wound up doing this today on an 08 Escape. We had all of the tools in Box 33, but the drive nut that's needed off of the Rotunda power steering puller/installer is long gone. I scrounged a nut and a washer instead. As you said, it's pretty slick doing it with the tools, but without it would have been a bit of unnecessary fooling around

The hardest part is getting the silly stretch belt back on ...

The hardest part is getting the silly stretch belt back on ...

That was my pet peeve of the day yesterday, while changing out a water pump on an '09 Escape. Thankfully though, pulley removal on these newer 3.0L V6s no longer require removal of the cam pulley.

Have you tried using a nylon tie strap to hold the belt on the pulley tightly and then rotating the pulley?

I've used that method a bit before, but for this one I just walked it on while I had another tech turn the crank.

When I was with Subaru they went to a stretch belt on the a/c for a couple years before reverting back to a manual adjuster. A tie down strap was my method of choice as they didn't have a factory tool for the job.