13S12

Rate this topic

mchan68

The consensus amongst the guys in our shop is we should collectively refuse to do these, for the amount of work involved and what it pays. It seems unanimous that an hourly paid apprentice should be the ones being assigned to these.

I probably won't be doing any of these...  I fix stuff.  I was reading how there's a big problem with purging the air from the cooling system after performing the recall.  Does anyone here know how to get the air out of the system on a 1.6L?

wow that looks like a bitch of a recall. My sister has one of these so I was just looking at the recall myself.

Glad I dont have to do any of these myself!

From what I hear it won't pull vacuum for some reason.

You gotta pull the extra rubber adapters off and stuff that thing in the neck really deep. If you look down the neck on the bottle there is a slot in the back edge where the thing bleed off pressure at. If you look at the cap it seals like the early escape ones do with an o-ring around it. Just had the guy by us get his butt kicked by that.

Escape Cap

• Like 1

Browsed over this a few days ago. I think I will do my own Escape, but that is about it. Can't wait to see who they sucker into doing them here.

I've got parts ordered for a few at our store now. I've got 3 grounded Enterprise Rent-a-Car units that we'll be doing first  for two reason. One, so if anything gets broken it's on a rental car, and two, so if it takes forever or we need more parts, we are pissing off an individual customer.

I've heard WhiteOak has done a couple that went smoothly enough, but that's secondhand.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I've done 4 of these the first one took me over 8 hours but after that there are not that bad. Only thing that sucks is part avalibility, like say if the water pump is leaking the is gasket on back order. It beats standing around or getting raped on 6.7 warranty times. Plus you get 2.0 m-time on them also.

All I can say on the first one is follow all directions. They are written very well. After the first then you can start figuring out different ways to approach them. Having a vcm II deals helps with the icp reprogramming go faster.  Now water pumps are on backorder till June 

Did my first one today. As mentioned the directions are quite clear, which makes the whole process pretty darn easy.

The worst part of the job is sorting out the alternator re and re .... it might have helped if I pulled the motor mount first before attempting to remove that lower bolt. That's 30 minutes of my time that I wont get back.

All told this initial go at it took me 8.5 hours - started at 8 and buttoned up by 5 with a short break in the middle. That's with a t-stat replacement, but also on a unit with only 5000 km. At least with the 2.0 'learning curve' MT allowance I didn't lose my shirt. It will be a challenge to hit the 5.1 for units not requiring a thermostat, but 6.1 for those needing it should be do-able.

Did my second one today (also requiring t-stat) in 5.7. Happy times. Given a little more seasoning I think I'll be able to make an hour on these things. The labour time is fair - and I didn't anticipate saying that from the outset.

Having done one I was able to save time by:

- not having to read the 55 page manual

- completing all repairs in a single area without backtracking. pull the crank sensor harness for taping when you are doing the heat shield fiasco. pull the alternator wire, tape it off, start the IPC reflash and then pull the alternator to do the t-stat. put the new stand pipe in at this time, too. my hoist only went up and down a couple times today, compared to a couple dozen times the first go around. 

Attention!  The tech doing the first one here had a bag of parts missing.(stud and nut and bolt for exhaust, and damaged banjo bolts.) He called special support center and they approved additional time. He kept track of the extra time trying to get around using the missing stud but the operator approved the total time he had punched. He did not ask she wanted the total punch times, he said but that is high because it is the first one he did. She stated that did not matter, she was going to approve the total he had punch. Made his day!