Snap-on 3/8 techangle... Any owners or experiences?

Rate this topic

I have been looking into purchasing a (new) snapon techangle torque wrench but have some reservation about some of the reviews and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it? I am looking at the newest model with all black handle and led lights ( the previous model is red and does not have leds) the main question i have is the 3/8 th has a compacity of 5-100 ft lbs so if you are torqing a head bolt to 90 ft lbs and then are required to torque an additional 90 degreese you will far surpass the 100 ft lbs range and the wrench will shut off. Im not sure if the newer model is affected in this way like the old model was?

Any reviews good or bad would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

I have the older model and I love it. It eats batteries like they're going out of style, but for all of its usefulness I can't complain. I don't use it as much as I used to when I was doing Subaru head gaskets seemingly daily, but often enough it gets pulled out for intakes, throttle bodies, spark plugs etc. 

The head bolt scenario you brought up is already at the top of its useful range at 90 ft lbs, so for that you'd already be better to use the 1/2 inch version.

My only complaint is the lack of an audible tone when it turns off due to lack of activity. You have to be mindful not to over-torque something during this scenario; you're expecting a beep but the darn thing shut off the second after you picked it up.

if you are torqing a head bolt to 90 ft lbs and then are required to torque an additional 90 degreese you will far surpass the 100 ft lbs range and the wrench will shut off.

I've never once considered using my torque wrench to yield bolts.  I'll torque them to spec, then use a breaker bar to complete the process...

if you are torqing a head bolt to 90 ft lbs and then are required to torque an additional 90 degreese you will far surpass the 100 ft lbs range and the wrench will shut off.

I've never once considered using my torque wrench to yield bolts. I'll torque them to spec, then use a breaker bar to complete the process...
You're not familiar with the snap on wrenches are you? You can set them to measure angle after you initially torque the fastener.

I was just talking to the Snap-on dealer about these on Tuesday. They even had to go to a class to bring them up to speed on all the new torque wrenches and fasteners that are currently in the field.

I still use my trusted ooooolllldd school angle meter gage. This thing is about the equivalent of using a sirometer for vibration analyzing. :)

I had there opus version for 6 years and I used it daily. I hand torque all drain plugs out of habit, and to get the lube guys to understand the importance. "we have bought more than 1 engine from plug coming out". I then upgraded and had to send it in as it would just shut off. I use mine for small block ls head bolts all the time, and the angle built in is sweet. They end up in the mid 80 foot lb range. I think the previous model may be a little more robust, but still worth the price. I bought a Cornwall 1/4 electronic and it has been a pile. I don't trust it at all and am going to trade next time the snappy is on sale.

I hear quite a lot of good reviews and seldom hear a negative one, and of the negative responses for the older model (shutting off, battery cap unscrewing) have been fixed with the latest newest model... What really intrigues me about it is the compacity to torque in multiple measurement scales= Nm, Ft lbs, In lbs, angle

Wow I use a simple old snap-on turn screw with the flip lever clicker in 3/8 and a plain old twister in1/2.

Then get a paint pen mark all the bolts at top, use a very big breaker bar or rachet for the next steps of 90 deg. that way when people stop to ask why you are breathing so heavy turning these bolts, you always know where you stopped.

• Like 1

We have a 1/2 drive one at work. I like it. I also like how it will give you a torque pull after you do an angle pull just to see how hard you were working it.

That being said I probably wouldn't do a second or third 90 degree on a head bolt with it, just merely from a "what if it free wheels" stand point.

We have a 1/2 drive one at work. I like it. I also like how it will give you a torque pull after you do an angle pull just to see how hard you were working it.

That being said I probably wouldn't do a second or third 90 degree on a head bolt with it, just merely from a "what if it free wheels" stand point.

Good point.

I have a older version in 1/2 drive and love it. I used it to do heads on 6.0s all the time. I would still paint mark the bolts as I could only really get the first 90* yield down before the force was too great for the length of the wrench itself.

I have a manual 1/4" and 3/8" snapon wrench for the smaller stuff. I do not believe in one torque wrench for all jobs even if your torque spec is within the spread of the wrench. There are just some places you cant get a 1/2" wrench or vise versa.

Very true, I was doing fuel injectors on a 6.0 E-350 and could torque the injectors no problem with a 3/8 torque wrench but to get to the lower hpo manifold torx bolts you can't get a torque wrench on it due to clearence

lower hpo manifold torx bolts you can't get a torque wrench on it due to clearence

I have never torqued those bolts.  IMHO, there are some bolts that need to be torqued, and others that having the feel for it will suffice.  I tighten them with a 1/4" air ratchet and call it a day.

Wow I use a simple old snap-on turn screw with the flip lever clicker in 3/8 and a plain old twister in1/2.

Then get a paint pen mark all the bolts at top, use a very big breaker bar or rachet for the next steps of 90 deg. that way when people stop to ask why you are breathing so heavy turning these bolts, you always know where you stopped.

Same here accept I use a sharpie.I dont't know how many times I've been pulled away while torqueing head bolts or slipped on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the 1/2" new one, love it.  Did a 6.4 last week, did the head bolts with ease both pulls, I still mark them with paint too since I have the memory of a goldfish and might forget where I was even if no one stopped me to ask questions.  Snap on guy says they were told to pull away and that torqueing beyond the rating will not affect the wrench.  The angle feature is nice because you can rebite in a pull and the wrench keeps track of where you are in the rotation.  And yes, I did check it against mechanical methods and it is as accurate as my eye can detect...