What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Taught at NYPD again this week, and they're shooting for a new low (average MPH). 2014 6.7, 756 miles, 270 hours, Change Oil message, average MPH 2.8.  That's the worst one I've seen yet. They ignore the messages, management  reduced the service interval from 5000 miles to 4000 miles, at that number it means they do an LOF at about 1500 engine hours (should be 200 hours).  :rolleyes:  The techs know this and sneak in extra LOFs whenever they can. Gee, I wonder why they lose so many engines......

Doing another 6.4 injector. I have noticed that if I set my DVOM on ohms an injector that has failed electrically will not pulse the meter. I usually check this at PCM connector before I pull the valve cover.

Nothing here or outside. Spent about 8 hours total between today and yesterday cleaning and throwing out junk. This has to be the cleanest it's been in the year and a half since it was built.

We have basically no free space in this shop, hardly any benches or cabinets either. I hid a bunch of stuff in the one free space area we have....but you need a 10ft ladder to get to it

image.jpg

image.jpg

Line the edges of your shop area with 30" pallet racking that straddles the tool boxes and everything else. Put a layer of shelving on the pallet racking about 6 1/2 or 7' up and put your seldom used tools, equipment, tires and BS up there. It keeps the floor uncluttered and gives you MUCH more usable work space. In non-toolbox areas (like in the left of your picture) put a layer of shelving 36" up and it makes for a really heavy duty workbench.  You have LOTS of available space in the photos above, you just have to make it usable.

Brought my rig in today ...

- new evaporator core

- new shocks

- replaced steering damper, r/outer tie rod and the track bar ball joint

- cut and welded in extensions for the swing out jacks on the camper (now i'll have ~2" on each side of the flat deck instead of ~1/4")

If you have a towmotor at your shop that would be even better, as you could go 15-18' high with racking.  I may have pics of my old shop somewhere.

:)

We kept the oil tanks, compressor, and even the A/C machine 3/4 of the year on the racking.

My bays are still empty. We must have sold 20 tires in the shop today and we're not a big dealer(we don't even stock any tires). All I really did was help guys mount and balance all day.

I have more brake jobs lined up then I care. A couple of things I have had real good luck with are AC Delco reman. brake calipers with brackets and Cryo treated rotors http://www.300below.com/. I put a set of Cryo rotors on a F-450 and they ran almost 200 degrees cooler. I have had the Delco caliper last longer then any other reman including Motorcraft, most of them have the gray piston seals, good cooper sealing washers, good slide pin boots and pads clips.

Sigh, haven't had a good ambulance job in a while.

Fixed a hot no start with some dummy plugs today. Also fixed the chafed EBP connector, resealed the IPR and put some hot side cac boots on. Runs freaking great.

I did a rear pinion seal on a S110. The yoke had wear so the customer who owns a welding shop had one of his employees install a speedi-sleeve and cut it down. At first glance I thought it was cut off back by the 90 degree return. Then I discovered he did an excellent job, It was hard to tell where the where the sleeve started.

100_5231.JPG 100_5232.JPG

If that's a normal Speedi-Sleeve (and it appears to be), there is a groove built into the sleeves just inboard of the 90* bend.  It's made so you take a pair of pliers or dikes, grab the lip and it separates, allowing you to peel it off leaving only the band of fresh metal and not the 90* lip.  It appears he did not remove the lip, which is optional.

I used hundreds of these on heavy trucks for harmonics, tranny seals, hub seals, etc.  We stocked about 10 popular numbers when I had the shop. Many you can order by size, like CR 99250 would be a shaft size of 2.500" or something like that. The good ones are expensive ($20-30) because they are machined on a lathe and you can tell it.  The cheap ones ($5) for common apps like SBC harmonic balancers are just stamped steel and not nearly the quality. 

I love those things.

:grin:

I'm working on this oil in the coolant 6.0. Oil cooler, EGR cooler, rad, belt tensioner, hoses plus a turbo and intake cleaning.

I've done a few fuel in the coolant flushes with Fleetguard Restore but this will be the first oil contaminated job. We'll see how it goes.

So the 6.0 F-450 I put the ficm harness in last week remained here all weekend because they called me back late Friday and said they wanted it aligned.Now honestly, when I drove the truck I did notice the steering wheel was off 90 degrees to the right.... AND honestly I didn't care, I can't tell you how many times I've fixed this truck and it comes back beat up worse than before.So I'm underneath looking at the drag link thinking maybe they changed an end and didnt get it quite right. Then I notice the RF wheel is a different color than all the rest. So I get our other guy to give me a steering wheel shake while I check everything for play. The trac bar is moving a little bit, and it looks a little close to the tierod.Then I happen to notice the whole front axle is off center to the left by about 2"

Needless to say a new trac bar and ball joint and the steering wheel is back to dead center.  What happened to this poor truck I may never know. 

image.jpg

Pulled it out of the ditch with the tow chain hooked to the trac bar? I cant count how many E series I have seen with bent sway bar mount brackets because someone pulled them out of the ditch by the sway bar.

Doing an EGR cooler clean on a '11 Ram 6.7 :banghead: I wanted to replace the coolant pipe O-rings Mopar # 68086261-AA $18.00 each, what a rip off. Cummins part # 5266152 $1.55. I wouldn't be afraid to use 6.0 turbo oil drain tube yellow O-rings if I had to.

I am also replacing the 2 P/S hoses, the pump to hydro boost line came apart inside and the liner/baffle was jammed into the hydro boost steel line. I am told there is a Star case about this causing a noise.

20150707_111756.jpg

Another guy in the shop had an older 5.4 super duty with a coil bolt broken off in the aluminum intake manifold.

Probably the smallest extraction ever but I got it with the MIG. #3, it was pretty easy to get to

image.jpg