What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I just kicked out one Exped for a 6006 5.4 and another Exped for rear a/c lines and an evaporator. Once that was out I got to running diag on some different units. Busy day ...

2007 Escape for a condenser, high pressure line, brakes all around and a l/front hub bearing

2009 F350 for an evaporator core (plugged, no airflow)

2010 F150 for brakes all around, both exhaust manifolds

2012 F250 6.2 for a fuel pump (leaking down) and a serpentine belt tensioner

2012 F150 for a t-case

Its such a damn shame I have these 2 nice bays with awesome lifts and not a thing to do.  I can't remember being this slow.

I extracted a single broken manifold stud on a 5.4 3 valve super duty today.  I'm not working on it though, just another favor called in.

Oh yeah I took a peak at a 2012 F-550 fire truck we sold new.  Has a V10 and of course only a single battery.  They want to add a battery and a heavier duty single alternator.  Not sure how I'm going to approach this one.  Probably make a thread about it soon. 

I can't believe I'm doing this, and I hope I don't regret it. I got offered $17Gs for my truck..........and I accepted.

Got my order put in last night. Buddy texted me this morning asking me when he can take my truck off my hands.

• Like 1

Second 6.7L primary water pump in 2 days. Waiting on a guy to come in with broken exhaust manifold bolts on both sides. 6.4L.

98 F-150 came this week with the symptom being starter will not disengage in any position but Key off and accessory. My first thought was ignition switch. (NPF) Then I was dumb enough to pull the interior fuse box and Gem module even though the first thing I checked was for a windshield leak.(NPF)

After I spent way more time then I'm going to admit. I also discovered it would only do it in the park position.

TR sensor was shorted between pin 9 (hot in run) and pin 12 ( starter motor relay feed) only in Park position

Nice find. Sold my 6.0 today, no more noisy stinky diesel. I will miss it that's for sure.

Also took my boat to the shop today for a routine checkup. Been having an issue with the parking lights on the trailer intermittently blowing the fuse. Found one of my fender lights is shorting out

image.jpg

Oh yeah I took a peak at a 2012 F-550 fire truck we sold new.  Has a V10 and of course only a single battery.  They want to add a battery and a heavier duty single alternator.  Not sure how I'm going to approach this one.  Probably make a thread about it soon. 

You know about the proper way to wire batteries in parallel? The positive comes off of one to the starter or solenoid and the ground comes off the other one. Not the way that Ford does it with each battery having it's own ground.

Finally got work in, after a month of dead-ness and "part time" work. 

Got a supposed fleet moving in the building next door a car, van, bus service.

Keith, any experience with State Shuttle?  They're based out of Lake Hopatcong/Sparta area.

So far, totally unimpressed with the first 4 POS vehicles they brought.  3 Town Cars and an E350. Two t/c have no a/c, one no brakes, pedal on floor and no rotor visible through wheel.  E350 has no brakes and blown front wheel bearings so bad, wheels wobble on their way in, caliper bracket only thing holding wheel on.  All have the cheapest Chinese "ling-long" tires. 

All so worn out and tired, they need to be put to pasture.  Owner's are 2 blonde females, take that as you wish.  "safety is our priority" says blonde number 1.  COUGH!

The Town Car I have has no a/c, with new compressor, new evaporator, NO orifice tube in it, but full charge.  Ask for a look-see of the car with a service, 2 el-cheapo front wheel bearings (new) with 2-3 inches of play in each.  Pinion seal blown, LR axle seal blown, 1" of mud in LR wheel from oil, brand new brakes on LR destroyed from oil, caliper slides and piston boot swollen up from oil and appears it caught fire at once point melting some other parts back there.  And a whole host of other minor stuff such as missing SRS airbags, disconnected seat sensors, bad cats, broken dash buttons for cluster, bad TPMS sensors. 

We're told, "we want the a/c to work"; "change the oil, leave the rest alone". Quote from "manager" in Sparta.  "We use these cars to make money, not to spend it" 

Ok.  This is going to go over well.

Fred, I'll do you even better and tell them to "Get these fuckin' pieces of shit outta here and don't let the door hit you on the way out!!!". It's not even worth wasting the time you took writing the paragraphs in the post you just wrote, let alone the time you're going to waste even looking at these vehicles that don't belong anywhere else other than the crusher.

Have a 2014 ecoboost f-150 with a horrendous lower end knock. 74,000km on the odo, last oil change was at 14,000km. I will post picks of inside the oil filter when I get them home. Told the customer no warrantee due to lack of maintenance. He said I change the oil at work, but have no paperwork to prove it. (It has a motorcraft filter on it, and the oil looks like it has 60 k on it) He is going to buy a used engine online apparently. This should be good.

Fred, isn't there someone you can report this too? Especially if they are "serving the public" and don't pass a safety. Here in Alberta we can have this type of crap pulled off the road with a phone call.

Had a 2014 f150 yesterday with a 5.0 and 18,000 miles on the factory filter. It didn't come in for an oil change, but it got one before it left. The oil filter rattled when I threw it out this morning. And it had a bunch of body work done on it and they didn't bother to reattach anything back to the left inner fender and the exhaust manifold ate the harness with the abs sensor wires in it.

Fred, isn't there someone you can report this too? Especially if they are "serving the public" and don't pass a safety. Here in Alberta we can have this type of crap pulled off the road with a phone call.

As far as the cars go, they are only answerable to the NJ MVC inspections, which can be done privately, and if you pay the right people, anything passes.

They skirt NJ DOT inspections on passenger vans and buses by registering them in Pennsylvania, and keeping their trip routing starting and ending there, rather than what they do do, which is keep the vehicles here in NJ and start and finish the runs in NJ.  IF they ever got stopped by NJ State Police and they found out they were originating and ending in NJ.  Oh, boy. 

I've tried with other vehicles to have them pulled, it hasn't worked.  Last was a lunch wagon on an older F series.  The frame was snapped in two ahead of the forward spring brackets.  On both sides, only the body on the right, and the propane tanks (100lb) mounting bracket was holding the truck from splitting in two.  I called both MVC and State Police.  Nothing happened. 

The only way livery cars get pulled is IF they opt to use DOT to inspect, on a limousine, over 8 passenger is required DOT, under, not.  Vans, over 10 people, DOT inspection is required.  I've yet to see any of these things road-sided like troopers do to commercial trucks.

Had a good one tonight. 06 F-550 service truck I put heads and a tranny in at the same time earlier this year.

Running like shit, idling very choppy. Only codes where a #2 contribution and P2290. Power balance with the injector compensator disabled was a saw tooth. 1, 4, 6, 7 were high, 2, 3, 5, 8 were low.

Now I'm not a ficm expert but I do know those cylinders share a common harness plug, you know they have to share common drivers. Ran a self test, 1,4,6,7 no click but self test passed. This truck had a harness put in it last year so I put a ficm in it and it runs great.

I wish the ficm coffee table book went a little more in depth. I couldn't tell you how this ficm failed.

image.jpg

image.jpg