What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Looking at a hot no start 05 6.0. This things got over 200k of hard miles, already been studded, deleted, whatever, you would hope whoever did the work was smart enough to do all the updates. Tried my tester IPR, still the same, slow to build ICP with EOT around 190.

So I go to the air check, which honestly I hate to death anymore because it seems all the easy fixes have been done already. Sure enough everything is sealed up tighter than I've ever heard one before. Not a peep anywhere. Took the valve covers off, everything is updated. Pull the turbo and the pump cover. It's got a brand new HPOP, not even rust on the outside yet. You know what that means? Someone already tried to fix this thing.

Pulled the pump so I could air check directly at the branch tube with my welded STC, still absolutely nothing. Everyone is gone for the night, all I can hear are the lights overhead humming away. I actually walked away to go turn them off, at this point I've been air checking for what seems like hours so you wouldn't think oil would be still in the rails. No sooner I get back I can hear the loudest hiss I may have ever heard while air checking one. I was fucking shocked.

Damn #4 injector, I got a mirror and can see oil bubbling out of the exhaust ports on top of the injector. Like someone flicked a switch. Then not 30 seconds later #2 started leaking. Let those 2 leak for a few minutes and no other ones showed up so I pulled the left rail. Sure enough no oil left in the #2 and #4 injector tops. Air pushed it right past the spool and out the exhaust ports.

Believe it or not 7 of the injectors look original

Since my counterpart's retirement 2 weeks ago it has been pretty busy for me. Done the usual boat load of 14e03's. A couple of 6.7L turbos. A few 6L injectors here and there, 2 sets of 6L EGR/OIL cooler combo's, 6.7L fan clutch, 6.7L DPF assembly. 6.7L upper oil pan reseal. The odd thermostat and a few rads, both 6.4L and 6.7L. Spent 3 hours on one 6L trying to recreate a runs rough then stalls concern, they took without any repairs done. Just finishing up an injector and IPR on a 6L. Have an 84 Econobox 6.9l waiting for intake manifold gasket set, and a 6.4L long block to put in( truck has been sitting here for 2 months while they made up their minds on this one, seems the custom tune that was put in it grenaded the engine...AGAIN) 

Sold 8 injectors on that hot no start 6.0. Fixed, builds ICP and starts good hot now.

The 7 injectors that look original? They were all Alliant power remans. The 2 that were leaking I'm going to remove the spools and mic them, then compare to a ford spool valve.

When I get a free minute that is.

We got work. Got an 03 F-350 with 360,000 miles on the chassis with a cracked injector bore. But only 60k on a reman motor. Got a 98 explorer with a blown up timing cassette that jumped time. Customer decided on a used motor. Got a 96ish F-250 with a cracked flex plate. And I looked at a 13 edge today for an oil leak that sure as hell looks like a head gasket. Leaking on the right front outer corner right above the block drain plug. From what I can tell from the book there should be the oil feed passage for the head right there.

'93 E-Series that had an intermittent stall/no start, no communication, & fuel pump would run constantly KOEO. PCM had some bad capacitors

DTS.jpg

Did broken exhaust manifold bolts on a '08 E-Series, I have had real good luck using PM-2(Motorcraft Spray Carb Tune-Up Cleaner). I spray it on the broken studs and come back a little while later and the studs just seem to spin right out. When I get the stud out it looks like the PM-2 has worked it way up the threads.

The 6.0 I'm doing a reseal on had a rear main seal installed backwards. I initially offered to pull the tranny and verify the leak but they wanted the whole thing resealed

Got the bed plate off this morning and the front main bearing is starting to wipe out. Not surprised considering how dirty this engine is outside, it wouldn't be hard to spill any dirt down in the engine when removing a valve cover.

Anyone else ever replaced mains while doing bed plate gaskets? The rest of the engine looks to be in good shape (cylinder walls, cam lobes, etc). One rod bearing had some scratches so I'm going to get that too.

Anyone else ever replaced mains while doing bed plate gaskets? The rest of the engine looks to be in good shape (cylinder walls, cam lobes, etc). One rod bearing had some scratches so I'm going to get that too.

Yep. I lifted the crank just enough to slip the bearings out/in. If my memory serves me well, I think I discovered a main bearing a bit too worn when I took the bedplate out. Not screwed up, but worn enough to warrant replacement while the engine was out.

Here's a couple pics of the mains I'll be replacing. Also the rear seal is hard to see but it's in backwards

All the bearings in this engine are .010" over. I ordered the wrong ones thinking everything would be standard. Live and learn. I guess next time I'll look first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I Have a freaking Budget c7500 Kind of nosed in my bay with the 7.8 Isuzu diesel.  I put a water pump on one last week, and this one has an engine harness that has been hacked all to hell.  Outside is another medium duty Huge bus to look at for rough running, Trans light and erratic shifting.  We are NOT a medium duty dealer and are not set up for stuff this size, but I guess I'll go with the flow and Fix them up.  And icing on the cake, an AWD Buick Rendezvous that is leaking from everywhere that got the ok to reseal the engine.  Hopefully some Good work rolls in soon.

Looked at an 07 F-450 6.0 yesterday. Has what I suspect is direct clutch failure as it wouldn't hold the 3-5 shift under heavy load. Also by the time I got back coolant was pouring out of the front cover, apparently the water pump is bad. Fan clutch wires are cut too.

Then I've got a 06 F-350 6.0 with a hot no start, didnt verify but it was a long crank this morning, slow to build ICP. Air test hot had me under the valvecovers which lead to nothing. Original standpipes and dummy plugs that look perfect.

Right now I just drove an 08 F-250 6.4 for a no heat concern. What it actually does is intermittent no heat just like a 6.0 with bad headgaskets. This thing is tuned and deleted with almost 200k miles. There is white staining all over the bottle and it was a gallon and a half low on coolant. Rigging up the 6.0 headgasket tester to work on a 6.4

I adapted the 6.0 head gasket tester to the 6.4 using the one capped off nipple on the degas bottle. This truck built 16psi just revving it in park, I didn't even have to leave the shop. The 3rd pic is how I pressure test the cooling system to make sure the cap is functioning properly.

Also I have a feeling the 6.0 hot no start burned me. The IPR is not closing off all the way. Air checked it at the pump with the cover off and full fielded the IPR still leaks quite a bit of air from the dump port. My tester IPR does not leak hardly at all. Took the pump out, air checked at the branch tube for an hour and no leaks showed up on either bank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Working on that reseal today. It's basically ready to go back in Monday. It's got so far.....

Resealed + headgaskets.  New oil cooler. Updated STC and dummy plugs. Blue spring FPR. Turbo drain tube. New cam and crank sensors. Shorter oem pushrods. Updated lifter guides. New main bearings and #3 rod bearing. #8 Injector. Pressure washed the intake

Recently went out and got a cheap electric pressure washer from Harbor Freight. It worked awesome for blasting the dirt off all the parts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sold 8 injectors on that hot no start 6.0. Fixed, builds ICP and starts good hot now.The 7 injectors that look original? They were all Alliant power remans. The 2 that were leaking I'm going to remove the spools and mic them, then compare to a ford spool valve.When I get a free minute that is.

I took apart 3 injectors today. The 2 Alliant Power remans I suspected were leaking high pressure oil, and one ford reman that was failing in this engine I resealed.Honestly I couldn't see any measurable reason why these injectors leaked on the air test. Everything I tried to measure basically came out the same. All three spools measured approx. .2755" and the bores were .2760" as far as I could tell.When we're talking ten thousandths of an inch I'm sure I couldn't get accurate measurements with any repeatability. Especially in the injector spool valve bore using a small bore gage. I've read that total spool valve movement is only .017" so we're talking extremely small tolerances.

08' 6.4 came in 3,600 miles ago with codes P0713 & P0710. I did TSB 13-12-22 since it did not have the updated TFT sensor in it. It came back today with the same codes. The symptoms were slightly different and looking at the pids when the problem was happening it looked more like a connector or wire issue then a sensor.DTS 1.png DTS 2.png

I found C1385(trans main connector) bolt slightly loose and what appeared to be moisture in the connectors.dts.jpg dts 2.jpg

I cleaned the connector and trans side, put contact grease on the terminals.. problem solved. No charge to the customer, now I need to go do job that pays :)

• Like 1

The 6.0 reseal left today finally, drove it most of the day yesterday and everything seemed fine. Looked at a 6.4 with a dead #7 hole this morning then started on the warranty 15 6.7 fuel system later.

The 6.4 rollback that keeps breaking flexplates has been sitting out back for a few weeks now. Just about the same time I forget about it I get the okay to pull the engine and tear it down. Then there's 2 trucks fresh from the auction waiting to be picked apart by me.

09 F350 6.4L removing/splitting turbos for exhaust and oil leak, plus both exhaust manifolds, with the cab on, luckily I had enough room between the cab and the service body to tilt the cab up for better access.

Yeah the partial cab lift is a life saver. I'll be pulling a engine next week that way.

The 15 6.7 fuel system is done. The right rail had loads of metal in it so the diagnosis was correct. No signs of rust, water or any other contamination. I feel okay pushing this through as warranty. I'll say one thing, I refuse to access those injectors though the inner fender wells. I pulled the CCV canister and EGR cooler and had a ton of room. I can't believe the WSM has you working around these things.

2008 F350 6.4L that I am hoping has an intermittent internal short to ground in the low pressure pump. Came in for no crank. P0231, fuel pump secondary circuit low, KOEO. Found fuel pump relay B+ fuse popped. Checked for shorts to ground, none found, replaced fuse, cleared codes, it started to crank then stopped, p0231 set but fuse was good. Long story shortened, got the fuse to blow and checked resistance in circuit, and had 1.2 ohms with the pump plugged in, went open with it unplugged. Getting approval for pump, hopefully it's the issue.

Did back to back 6.7 EGR coolers today. Road tested the second one and it set a P2A00 that it never had before. Try and see if they want a NOx sensor tomorrow.

It seems to me that 6.7's are great for setting codes like that. Fix one and 2 days later it's back and the guy ain't happy.