What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I have 2 unison rings here that are cracked in the same fashion.  I am going to try and TIG them back together when I get a chance. Also I agree, when the turbo is rusted so bad it spreads them apart and cracks them, the turbo is a loss.  A cleaning at this point would be extremely temporary. 

Worked on our 00 Windstar today with my 2 year old boy. He stated a couple of days ago how it's "no fair that he Never gets to help me in the shop". So the Windstar has an intermittent C1185, so we started by hooking up IDS and I get "no communication". I think that's wierd, so I show him the burnt fuse and see if he can find a yellow one to replace it, he likes red :) I have to explain that we still need a yellow one :lol: Install new fuse it blows instantly. I check the cigarette lighter and there is a penny in it(guess who put that in there).

• Like 1

- 2008 F550 6.4 hi-rail with a picker .... both rear doors have bad latches (will not open from the interior or exterior), ABS and an inspection

- 2002 Sport Trac ... l/front door will not open from either the interior of exterior

- 2013 F150 5.0 ... #8 misfires and needs a cylinder head

- 2015 F150 ... dropping the secondary HS CAN networks

- 2008 F350 6.4 .... needs a clutch

Got an 08 F-550 6.4 towed in today. 18' rollback. It's broken 4 flexplates in the last month. They didn't want me to look at it initially because I'm always at least a week out.

1st flex plate broke they installed #2. That one broke so they put a third one and a new converter. Then the 3rd one broke and they had me go down to the garage and look at it. The flexplate adapter where the converter hub sits in was all worn out. Checked crank endplay (.006") dowels are present. So they put in flexplate #4, an adapter plate and a third converter.

Now it's here with another broken plate. Going to have to tear this tranny down for sure, they don't seem to know if it is shifting okay or not.

Right now in the shop

11 F-250 6.7, retail EGR cooler, reductant heater/sender, trac bar balljoint, hot side cac duct, 14E03

09 F-250 6.4, no torque converter lockup, P0741, P1744, no idea yet.

Outside

06 E-450 V10. Aux a/c compressor locked up, crossed it and the shredded belt to napa numbers and those parts are here. Gotta figure out how I'm going to flush this thing and who to call about PAG oil capacity. It's a Carrier system

2006 F-550 6.0 service body. Intermittently dies out, cust doesn't hear the HFCM running when it happens. Needs diag

2012 F-250 6.7 with a 6" lift. Cust had driveshaft u-joints replaced and driveshaft reindexed to try and fix a driveline shudder from take off. I've been in this truck before and something isn't right. Needs pads and 4 rotors machined also.

08 F-550 6.4 rollback. Put a shortblock in this thing last May. See above post. Had to order a new trans jack for pulling these things out on the floor.

If anyone is ever thinking about servicing a Carrier a/c system in a bus please think twice, this damn 06 E-450 is definitely above our capabilities. I came to find out this is the 4th compressor that has locked up in 6 months on this thing. Opened the head hose up and it's full of metal.

My parts guy and I have spent hours trying to cross over the TXV and receiver drier. Now that we know what they are availability is an issue.

I flushed the condenser and evaporator today and none of the ford adapters would fit. I had to go out and buy extra lengths of 1/2 vinyl hose to reach the evaporator. Flushing it was a pain, I had to basically hold the hoses to the core while someone else manned the machine for 45 minutes. The crap that came out of this system was unreal.

To top it all off I have a bad line from the compressor to the condenser, no one seems to be able to make one because of the odd fitting sizes. We've got a few calls out to the bus company (Starcraft) and Blue Bird and we're waiting to hear back.

If anyone is ever thinking about servicing a Carrier a/c system in a bus please think twice, this damn 06 E-450 is definitely above our capabilities. I came to find out this is the 4th compressor that has locked up in 6 months on this thing. Opened the head hose up and it's full of metal. My parts guy and I have spent hours trying to cross over the TXV and receiver drier. Now that we know what they are availability is an issue. I flushed the condenser and evaporator today and none of the ford adapters would fit. I had to go out and buy extra lengths of 1/2 vinyl hose to reach the evaporator. Flushing it was a pain, I had to basically hold the hoses to the core while someone else manned the machine for 45 minutes. The crap that came out of this system was unreal. To top it all off I have a bad line from the compressor to the condenser, no one seems to be able to make one because of the odd fitting sizes. We've got a few calls out to the bus company (Starcraft) and Blue Bird and we're waiting to hear back.

Check with napa or another good parts store. When I was a partsman here I was able to cut the crimp shells off, and we had shells available to reuse ends with new hose, especially for odd ends. I still rebuild hoses, had an extra crimp tool set for refrigerant hoses given to me for my own tool set and has saved me a few times. Now if its a hole in the aluminum, you may be able to silver solder, TIG if you're good(but difficult with the oils in the pipe, its tricky) or there are crimp ferrule splice fittings that can be bought and installed, but it will make the line a little bulky due to size.

The fitting where it connects to the condenser is all corroded away. It's a pilot o-ring fitting and I'm not sure if its metric or not. All sources tell me it's 1/2" line and standard size o-rings

I double checked the thread size on the fitting, it's definitely 3/4 - 16. Shouldn't be anything weird about it but the Napa we use for A/C hoses couldn't do anything with it

I replaced an end on a shuttle bus. It was a fitting on the underside additional condenser. We were able to get the portable crimper from the local NAPA.

Leaving it in place was a huge time saver. If you are able to locate a fitting and the hose is long enough that is the way to go.

Coldhose.com. I picked out my ends, length/size of hose and they built the line and shipped it 2-day priority on the same day I paid. Also the nearest Starcraft dealer got a hold of us and we're getting the filter/drier + TXV shipped directly from Carrier.

Hopefully this pile of crap will be done early next week. The only thing left to do is find out how much oil this system takes.

Also dragged in the F-550 6.4 rollback that keeps eating flexplates. Hopefully get the tranny out tomorrow and see what's going on. I got a new 1/2 ton floor tranny jack just for this thing so that opens up another door for more pain in the ass work I can do.

Hopefully this pile of crap will be done early next week. The only thing left to do is find out how much oil this system takes.

Don't most new compressors come with a full charge of oil? Maybe add a couple ounces for the extra large evaporator and condensor, but I would think you'll be just fine otherwise. Does the system even have a refrigerant capacity sticker? Filling those big suckers by measuring the condensor sub cooling is always fun

Yeah it has an R-134a capacity of over 5lbs which is on the sticker but no oil. Either it was never written or smudged out over the years.

The new compressor came filled with about 4 oz of oil.

2004 F350, customer diagnosed and supplied turbo.....found MAP sensor hose nipple pulled out of intake, repaired that and road tested, turbo is working fine but it feels like it's dropping off a couple of cylinders on acceleration. 2005 F550 sitting outside for intermittent no start, no FICM sync and CMP sensor circuit codes. Oil leaking from the shutdown valve has soaked the harness, customer knows it needs an engine because we told him that last year, but wants a price to remove the shut down valve and replace the harness......Seems all the crap that no-one wants to fix properly has started working it's way here....

Update: Customer with the turbo gave me the go ahead to diagnose the rough running, #6 and #8 go dead off idle, fuel pressure hovers around 46 PSI. Crankcase pressure went over 20" the first try, disconnected the cold side CAC and it won't get over 2300 RPM and pressure goes up to about 4", smoke stack out the oil filler tube. He might get by with 2 injectors and the turbo he already paid for. Will have to wait till Monday to get an answer though. 

Got the tranny out of that rollback. Never pulled a tranny on the ground before so I had no idea how high the truck needed to be to slide it out from underneath. Needless to say I wasn't even close and I had already maxed out our floor jacks to set the jack stands

The old bumper jack we have buried away saved my ass again.

Also earlier in the week I stuck a TCC solenoid in a 09 F-350 6.4 for a P0741 and P1744, no dice still no tcc engagement. Got the okay on pulling that one out today.

I'm going to leave this link here so I can find it tomorrow at work

http://www.transportaircon.carrier.com/Files/Bus/Local/US-en/T299.pdf

It's got all the PAG oil capacities based on condenser and evaporator part numbers. My drier should be in tomorrow, the line came in over the weekend so I got to see it today. I managed to guess the size of the ends correctly.

Found an SSM for rear cover dowel protrusion on 6.4s. This cover I have not only is cracked to one of the lower bellhousing bolt holes but the dowels are only 8mm out. The SSM wants 10mm.

Looked up the labor time for a rear cover no cab pull......19 hours! Is it really going to be that hard to get the HPFP cover off from the rear?

Also the tranny pump is ruined in this thing. It's got metal in the fluid with OD and coast clutches burned.

Got the bus all done, what a pain in the ass but an awesome learning experience.

Flushed everything I could think of, put a new compressor, TXV, drier and high pressure line on. Vac'd the thing for an hour to make sure all the flush chemical boiled off. Wound up putting 11oz of oil in the system based off the carrier chart. Charge weight was 5.5 lbs.

The drier was on backorder from Carrier so I had to cancel that order and get an aftermarket one from Buspartsexperts.com. Very helpful on the phone. The line came from Coldhose.com and they really bailed me out, it worked perfect.

This bus definitely has A/C now, had basically everyone in the shop cooling off inside it late today. Only managed to get one pic of the new line and filter/drier.

image.jpg

Got the bus all done, what a pain in the ass but an awesome learning experience.Flushed everything I could think of, put a new compressor, TXV, drier and high pressure line on. Vac'd the thing for an hour to make sure all the flush chemical boiled off. Wound up putting 11oz of oil in the system based off the carrier chart. Charge weight was 5.5 lbs.The drier was on backorder from Carrier so I had to cancel that order and get an aftermarket one from Buspartsexperts.com. Very helpful on the phone. The line came from Coldhose.com and they really bailed me out, it worked perfect.This bus definitely has A/C now, had basically everyone in the shop cooling off inside it late today. Only managed to get one pic of the new line and filter/drier.

Glad to hear your nightmare is over. If you don't mind me asking, how'd you come out on getting paid for this whole thing? Did you get compensated for your time tracking down all this info and parts for something you don't typically work on?

I think we're going to wind up with around 8-10 billable hours on the whole job. Actual time spent scratching my head, making phone calls, special trips to home depot for flush hose and fittings, and googling Carrier Transicold was much more. Was it actually worth it for us to accept a job like this? Maybe or maybe not, I know most dealers wouldn't. I don't think we had much of a choice so why not put forth our best effort? My service manager to date has not turned down a single thing he thought we could make something on. In a years time since he started I've gotten involved in more weird stuff than all my previous years combined.

I get paid either way and as long as the job gets done to the best of my ability my time involved is not questioned. I'm not paid the same as other guys in the shop and in return they don't have to do this crap. I was already reimbursed for parts so no harm done.

Had a 10 F-150 towed in from a good fleet of mine. No crank, PCM fails the network test. HS-CAN + open to the PCM.

HS+ runs into and out of the tranny harness on this thing and contains a splice that shoots off to the 6R80. Found that harness rubbed through on an A/C line near the right rear of the engine bay.

It was basically out in the open the whole time I was trying to isolate it. I was checking that damn area for anything yesterday and just didnt see it. The diag and repair took place outside right where it was dumped off the tow truck. No room in the shop.