BG diesel inj. flush

Rate this topic

We used BG at the Ford store. I used the Diesel Injector Cleaning kit a few times. The only time I ever saw a noticeable difference was with the trucks that ran red diesel fuel and came in with the EGR completely clogged. I replaced the EGR valve and road tested and the vehicle was still a little sluggish, after the Diesel BG the truck ran like new. Other than that I never saw any noticeable difference.

As far as the rest of their products... I really like the transmission flush. I never have used it to try to "fix" a problem, but just keep up with maintenance. The coolant flush machine works well but I'm not sure how much better it is than a drain and refill.

The rest of their products are wallet flushes. For example, differential flush, the power steering flush, and the BG battery kit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif These machines also tend to create flush queens and our job is to diagnose, repair, and do preventative maintenance only when neccessary. Anyway thats a different story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

I feel any of the flushes should be used on a case-by-case basis. I don't have a problem with using the PS flush station, like when replacing a pump or rack on a car or van, etc. The coolant flush machine IMO is a piece of crap, as it always made a huge mess and didn't show me anything got "flushed" but the customers wallet. I DO like the BG trans machine. Have also seen a bunch of "notchy" shifting vehicles that were much improved by the flush.

As for any "FI" flush...case-by-case...it kills me to drive by all these chain stores with a sign out front advertising improved mileage by getting the injectors flushed. I HAVE fixed some gas vehicles with a FI flush but I can count them on one hand.

The rest of their products are wallet flushes. For example, differential flush, the power steering flush, and the BG battery kit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif These machines also tend to create flush queens and our job is to diagnose, repair, and do preventative maintenance only when neccessary. Anyway thats a different story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

We refer to our BG trans flush machine as the floor flusher because inevitably a line pops off or a valve is open and most of the fluid ends up on the floor, the offending tech is then forced to display the name CAPT. HAZELWOOD on there shirt for the day.

My opinion is that it's all snake oil /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

I would like to know how you "flush" a HEUI injector and what are you flushing? If the customers oil changes and filter services are at consistent intervals and good clean fuel has been used there shouldn't be any reason for thinking about doing this. Furthermore, if there are injector related performance issues, I would tend to believe there is some scuffing in the injector that cant be "fixed" short of injector replacement. I would live to know what is in these flushes anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

good clean fuel has been used

Keith, I believe you have answered your own question.

I don't know what you got in Jersey, but here in CT. the diesel is basically crap.

There is only one station locally I recomend, and thats because the company that owns the station supplies fuel to most of the local Citgo stations and they fuel their Kenworths there daily to the tune of 200 gallons times 6 trucks, so you know the diesel is always fresh and does not ferment in their tanks.

As far as the BG diesel injector service you are addressing just the fuel supply portion of the injector and it has no affect on the actuation portion of the injector.

Makes perfect sense to me and I usually see a smother running engine that produces less soot and decreases in exhaust odor.

I find the service works well with neglected fuel systems but I try to sell the service as part of a comprehensive fuel system maintainence program, which would also include regular water drainings, the use of our additives, the best fuel you can buy, and regular filter changes.

Besides, most of my work is warranty, so I'll take that 2 hour cash job anytime.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: Torqed-Up
Hey! Where do we connect the bottle of flush to? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
As stated before you take one end of the hose and connect it to the customers wallet and flush away /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I am curious as to why you think it is a scam?

Would you explain your reasoning please?

three things go wrong with the heui injectors used in a psd and a can of flush solvent isn't going to fix a heui inj that scuffed from water/poor guality fuel or lack of filter maintance, nor will fuel system cleaner ever come in contact with any part of a stuck spool valve, and it can't fix the electric solenoid.

Now fuel additaves that can and do improve cetane, fuel lubricty,or the pour point (anti gel) are worthwile to use periodicaly.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the shop and myself making money but I feel that the flush's aren't providing my customers with anything for the money I'd much rather provide a real service to earn it.

I was in a little meeting with my team, service manager and our BG distributor the other day where I learned that the service department I work in will now be selling BG diesel services products. I thought I would chime in here as I am on the fence about this myself and my thinking is similar to eastendpowerstroke's in that I am all for making money, but I too feel that the flushes aren't providing my customers with anything for the money. We have not had the demo on the equipment yet but we were told that it takes some time to run the product through as the engine idles while you stand there with your thumb up your !@#!?$! and your bay tied up. The following is BG's statement on the flusher:

• BG Inject-A-Flush for Diesels

The BG Inject-A-Flush for Diesels is the ultimate diesel injector cleaning system for passenger cars‚ SUV's and light trucks. It is simple to use, easy to store and has no moving parts. Direct connections to the vehicle's fuel supply and return lines allow the BG Inject-A-Flush for Diesels to deliver the exact amount of BG Diesel Care, Part No. 229, needed to clean deposit-clogged injectors fast and efficiently. The BG Inject-A-Flush for Diesels service is completed by adding BG 244, Part No. 244, to the vehicle’s fuel tank to remove hard combustion chamber deposits.

I have yet to see a "deposit clogged" injector and as stated, this will not repair a scuffed injector, gummed up spool valve or correct an electrical concern. We know from hard experience that our diesel injector problems are related to water and chemical contamination and low fuel pressure caused by clogged filters. What about using fuel from non-questionable sources and changing the filters? In addition to this "flusher" we will be selling BG's Diesel Service Kit which is a three product whammy at a price of somewhere around $100 by my estimate. I recall the product goes for approximately $55 retail with a 0.5 hour labor charge to dump all three bottles into the oil and fuel. Let's break this down shall we?

• BG 244

BG 244 quickly and effectively cleans diesel fuel injectors. It removes carbon deposits from combustion chambers, restores performance, smooths engine idle and helps prevent costly repairs. In only a few short miles of driving, engine response is restored! One quart (946 ml) of BG 244 treats 20-40 gallons (75-150 Liters) of diesel fuel. To maintain fuel system cleanliness and engine performance, add BG 244 to fuel tank at 7,500 to 9,000 mile (12,000 to 14,500 km) intervals. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe. This diesel fuel additive complies with the Federal low-sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles.

Really? Will it also plug up exhaust and intake leaks or free up that sticking VG turbocharger? I will reserve further skepticism until I see it for myself.

• BG DOC Diesel Oil Conditioner

BG DOC for diesel engine oil is a revolutionary product designed especially for today’s modern high-output diesel engines. BG DOC maintains like-new diesel engine power and performance, neutralizes acids and acid corrosion, reduces friction and wear on engine parts, stabilizes viscosity, prevents sludge through increased oxidation and soot control. BG DOC is compatible with all diesel engine oils including synthetic and multi-grade.

I was told this is needed because the removal of sulfur reduces the lubricity of the oil. But the oil, according to the MSDS sheet still contains a high zinc content and I find it hard to believe that the oil specification would not have compensated for all this. I am not an expert on oil but this does not make sense to me. Also, from what I have read, removing the sulfur from the oil and fuel will reduce the formation of acids that can damage engine parts.

• BG All Weather DFC with Lubricity

BG All Weather DFC with Lubricity is a multi-functional diesel fuel conditioner especially formulated for low and ultra-low sulfur diesel fuels. It contains highly effective "heat stable" detergent/dispersants for cleaning the entire fuel system from fuel tank to catalytic converter, including the fuel injectors. It contains an approved diesel pump lubricant to provide lubricity for the fuel pumps and fuel injectors so as to prevent scoring and excessive wear. It will also protect against diesel fuel gelling during engine operation in sub-zero temperatures. BG All Weather DFC with Lubricity also adds antioxidants and corrosion inhibitors to maintain fuel quality during storage. One 6 oz. (177mL) bottle treats 10-40 gallons (40-150 Liters). This one-tank treatment provides great versatility to cover passenger car diesel engines, such as VW, as well as light duty diesel pick-up trucks, such as the Ford Power Stroke. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe. This diesel fuel additive complies with the Federal low-sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles.

Okay. No problem with that but I think from a sales point of view most owners who think this might be useful are already using a fuel conditioner. Most products are in the $15.00 range and treat multiple tankfuls of fuel. Here is what frosts me; The chemicals in the service kit would be beneficial if used regularly and not just at the 30,000 mile interval as suggested by our distributor. Well, the oil conditioner won't be effective if it is not installed with every oil change - right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif How about the fuel conditioner? How many tanks of fuel will be used in 30,000 miles? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif I simply don't see this as cost effective or providing my customers with any real benefit and I am going to feel like an A-HOLE dumping this product into their trucks. Especially since all they really need to do is use reputable fuel, change their filters religiously, change the oil every 5,000 miles and use a fuel conditioner like Motorcraft Performance Formula with or without winterizer.

My /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif - feel free to disagree.

Keith, I totally agree with you!!! Don't you think that if this stuff is the Wonder Juice that BG claims it is, that Ford would be supplying it with all the fuel/oil issues that there has been. I also agree that the end users should also be better informed right from the start about using quality fuels and oils. I just stopped by the gas station out by my house last night ULSD $2.76 gal, Bio Goo $2.81 gal. More expensive for the Bio does that make it better....

I remember back a few years ago the Krex products that were making the rounds at the car dealers. The salesmen had the mechanics/techs save the caps and got $.25 per cap. We probably sold 3-4 cases a day to the shop. Krex promoted the product by commission to the techs, does that make it any better?

believe me if it wasn't snake oil/ wallet flush the useless talking head ford rep that stops in every so often to see if you want to buy more tires or tell you that your not filling out enough 99 point inspection sheets would be trying to sell it to you, or there would be a "BIG FLUSH" spin to win on FMCDEALER.

Posted Image

The best thing BG has is the yellow trans funnel that the guy handed out when the former parts and svc director got them in the shop. I got rid of him but I haven't been able to get rid of BG, yet I like the trans flush machine for stuff without a torque converter drain but I don't use the additive with it.

As the shop Forman I'm in a position to stick to my morals and not use the products. I made my feelings on the subject VERY clear to my boss and he's ok that I'm not using it we got a few flush queens to make up for my lack on participation.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Tony did that flush ever do what it was supposed to do or was it more empty promises? I've used some MOC stuff on a few 6.0s with mixed results but it does seem to smooth out the idle on most... for now anyways.

We used it on a guy's 03. It cleaned the shit outta the intake system/turbo, and it ran a shitload better. They wouldn't come out on the one i had that was coked beyond belief /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif . That woulda been the true test.

I dunno. I think that service is just a horseshit service. I get it, but I think it's too redundant. You're not fixing anything. If it's coked that badly, then the turbo will probably need to come out anyway. If the turbo's out, then you might as well take the money that the customer would pay to perform the EGR cleaning and just upsell yanking the intake and cleaning it manually. Not to mention, you've got access to other known failure points (EGR/OIL coolers, EGR cooler hose...) that may also need to be addressed at the time.

Dave

Back to the topic at hand. The BG diesel injector flush just hooks up to the inlet of the fuel pump's. Why can'y you just dump the stuff in the tank? Same thing? Why do you have to hook it up to a machine? The BG guy kinda dodged that question.

IMHO. BG services are just like all other services. The coolant flush machine is a joke, i think the only useful peice of equipment is the brake flush (on person bleeding) and trans flush.

I will not put any of their additives in the torqshift and cooling systems. Anyone actually look at the "system sealer" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

This kind of stuff has been around for a long, long time.... It wipes off and re-applies it's make up to suit changing times and technologies....

Realizing this is going to be something many of you may need to do.... Sooner is better than later....

A lot of products use a "money back gaurrantee" as one of their main selling features.... Why would that be? "If you feel our product didn't perform as advertised, simply send the unused portion of the product, the original container, the purchase invoice, a sworn affidavit indicating when the product was used, pictures of the machine the product was used in, pictures of you actually pouring the product into the machine, and pictures of your eldest teenage daughter along with $19.95 for processing and handling.... We will gladly issue you a CREDIT for $4/95 that you can apply to the purchase of any of our other fine products...

Hey!!!! What ever happened to the infomercials where they sprayed fire hoses at the six cylinder with no oil in it?

Miracle shit my ass....

• 2 months later...

We have had Wynns and BG and both seemed about the same no noticable diffence unless the truck had alot of miles on it. We just switch to valvoline flushes, I just did the first diesel flush today on the parts manager's truck. we will see how it does. The one thing I really like about the valvoline flushes is that the will warranty fuel injectors up to I think $4000 if you start you diesel flushes before 36,000miles and do them in 15,000 mile intervals up to 210,000 miles or 8 years,after 36,000 but before 50,000 miles up to $2,000, and before 75,000 miles up to $500. That warranty goes for all of valvoline's flushes. I think that's pretty good. The Rep told us that the flushes contained no solvents unlike Bg and Wynns. Just some food for thought.

• 2 months later...

One big problem we have here is that our manager likes to sell these BG flushes (especially diesel or gas injector flushes or induction cleaning) as a repair for a problem and not as a maintenance service. While the value of these as a maintenance item is debatable, I have rarely (if ever) seen a flush repair an actual problem with a vehicle. I know where to find a brand new BG diesel inject-a-flush apparatus for a real good price!

One big problem we have here is that our manager likes to sell these BG flushes (especially diesel or gas injector flushes or induction cleaning) as a repair for a problem and not as a maintenance service. While the value of these as a maintenance item is debatable, I have rarely (if ever) seen a flush repair an actual problem with a vehicle. I know where to find a brand new BG diesel inject-a-flush apparatus for a real good price!

Why would you spend the money on it? I had a interesting talk with the BG guy about "needing the flush machine" for the diesel injection flush. Why would you need the machine? Can't you just dump everything in the tank "wink wink" he reluctantly said it's the same thing but you don't get a concentrated amount in. So i think it's up to you guy's. Do you want to let a truck idle for 30-45minutes in your stall, or would you just dump both bottles in the tank and ship him on his marry way. You aren't doing anything wrong by not using the flusher. (im talking bout the clear cylindrical one with the circle filter on top.

I don't see much difference either running it through the "machine" or through the fuel in the tank. I don't think that in most cases these flushes are doing any harm either (no matter which way you use the cleaner) its just that IMHO once a vehicle experiences a failure its too late for a flush. I do really like the BG transmission fluid machine--I use it all the time without the chemicals. We also have a new BG coolant exchanger that has a tank for new coolant and one for old. It allows you to push the old coolant out with new coolant--I don't think it works as well as the trans machine, but it isn't too bad.

I don't see much difference either running it through the "machine" or through the fuel in the tank. I don't think that in most cases these flushes are doing any harm either (no matter which way you use the cleaner) its just that IMHO once a vehicle experiences a failure its too late for a flush. I do really like the BG transmission fluid machine--I use it all the time without the chemicals. We also have a new BG coolant exchanger that has a tank for new coolant and one for old. It allows you to push the old coolant out with new coolant--I don't think it works as well as the trans machine, but it isn't too bad.

This has been my view since the time i learned about flushes. The only useful one is the trans flusher. Although, BG power steering fluid is the only fluid that i've seen get rid of all power steering whines from windstars. I really like that fluid and their MOA additive thats is used with an oil change.