Opinions on 5.4L spark plug removal tools

Rate this topic

Has anyone used this tool kit from Lisle to remove broken 5.4L spark plugs?

CLICK HERE

I want to purchase my own tool kit for removing these plugs because the shop's is worn out due to too many people using it. We had a guy buy this Lisle kit and he ended up breaking the tool off in the cylinder head the first time it was used. I read the instructions and it does caution about not screwing the tool in far enough because that could cause it to break off in the head.

The other part of this tool kit is what I really like; the tool that pushes the porcelain down. The Ford procedure pulling the porcelain is time consuming and the only other option is hammering it down with a punch. I've never truly felt comfortable doing this.

What other tool kits have you guys purchased to do this job?

Have had that tool for a while now, not sure what i would do without it, you can push the pin down with porcelain also, saves a bunch of time, we get .5 extra for every broken plug

This is the quickest tool for removing 5.4 3v broken plugs I have found and I have tried several.I would recommend it without hesitation.I have only had to remove one head due to this tool not working.This was only because a new tech that had never removed any before didn't get enough bite in the sleeve on several attempts and left nothing to get hold of.

This is the quickest tool for removing 5.4 3v broken plugs I have found and I have tried several.I would recommend it without hesitation.I have only had to remove one head due to this tool not working.This was only because a new tech that had never removed any before didn't get enough bite in the sleeve on several attempts and left nothing to get hold of.

So the tool kind of stripped the inside of the sleeve? I almost had that happen using the shop's Ford tool after several attempts.

the lilse tool is the only tool to use. I tried using fords with no success. I even let epoxy set over night still would not pull porclien. I ordered one for next day. I had it out in less then ten mins. I also perform a carb clean like bg's product or something similar. I also get engine hot and do one bank then start get hot again and do the other bank. I have a friend in near buy dealer that starts and runs between every plug.

the lilse tool is the only tool to use. I tried using fords with no success. I even let epoxy set over night still would not pull porclien. I ordered one for next day. I had it out in less then ten mins. I also perform a carb clean like bg's product or something similar. I also get engine hot and do one bank then start get hot again and do the other bank. I have a friend in near buy dealer that starts and runs between every plug.

^^^^^^^^What he said. I agree. The Lisle Tool is the only tool to use.

I have the LISLE tool and feel it's the best hands down.

I lots track of how many plugs I've pulled out but I've replaced (worn out) the extractor twice. Most of the guys just come over to my bay with the broken plug in there hand and ask me to come extract the plug for them.

I'm surprised Adam hasn't put his two cents worth in on this thread... the rest of this post was deleted...

I love my lisle tool. Pretty sure i could remove 8 broken plugs in the time it takes some people to do 1 Fords way. Jim was braggin the other day cause he got lucky doing one broken plug Fords way Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
I'm surprised Adam hasn't put his two cents worth in on this thread... the rest of this post was deleted...

I love my lisle tool. Pretty sure i could remove 8 broken plugs in the time it takes some people to do 1 Fords way. Jim was braggin the other day cause he got lucky doing one broken plug Fords way Posted Image

Let's just say I've had to remove more broken plugs than I've actually broken and leave it at that...

Pushing broken bits into a cylinder just set my store bought teeth on edge... but (like the age old battle about torque sticks) it's whatever floats your boat and your comfort level.

• 5 months later...

By far the best tool for the job, but to be honest I found if you remove the plugs with a 1/2 impact gun they don't usually break. No soaking, just gun it, (hot tip from ford instructor).

By far the best tool for the job, but to be honest I found if you remove the plugs with a 1/2 impact gun they don't usually break. No soaking, just gun it, (hot tip from ford instructor).

Okay. Have you actually done this and wihout pulling out threads and breaking plugs? ow many has the instructor removed? Just askin.

I use my 3/8 gun to take them out. I still break them loose and soak them on a warm engine. Probably 95% success rate. Just make sure the socket is centered on the plug or it will break the porcelean. I used to work them out gently, but after spending 15 minutes fooling around and breaking it anyway, blasting them out with a gun is saving time even if you do break a plug. Have broken 1 plug in the last 3 tune ups, and can usually get the broken plug out in 10 minutes, even if the porcelean breaks.

I would sooner have the Ford plugs to break than the Champions that some people seem to like. I bough a truck with a 5.4 and had to change the plugs because of a misfire. Someone had already put in Champions, and put them in so tight that the hex on one plug rounded over when trying to remove it. The truck only had 65000miles on it so they couldn't have been in there that long. I was able to hammer a 15mm socket on the plug and get it out, and noticed the metal shell on the champion was very thin compared to the Motorcraft plug. It also used a 5/8 hex.

Best thing I've found is use a regular socket, not a spark plug socket. The cap in the plug socket that is supposed to hold the plug snaps it off if the socket leans at all.

I have also found the impact to work well. like was stated you need to be on the plug straight. Somtimes I just use a 3/8 rachet. I have only used the Ford tool and a punch to push down the porcelin. I make a mark on the punch so I dont go to far...so far so good.

I would like to know more about this lisle tool. How does it push the porcelin out of the way?

The tool (black part) threads into the sparkplug threads and has a forcing screw that pushes the porcelin down.Then you switch the the blue portion of the tool and it uses a LH thread screw to dig into and then extract the plug No hammering no punching no fuss no muss best tool ever.

Posted Image

• 3 months later...