06 6.6 duramax diesel

Rate this topic

epokiak

looking for any helpfull hints on replacing injector nozzles on 06 6.6 duramax,is it a major job?lots of experince with ford diesels but non with gm!think it's a lly engine!

I am not sure about 06.. Had a 2010 recently. Injector part numbers and cylinder numbers they came from must be recorded on dissasembly. New injectors and cylinders they go into also recorded. There is reflash required before startup or BAD things can happen. Something about fuel control calibration. Got selling dealer to cover this truck under powertrain warranty. There are several fuel related TSB's on these engines. May be worth some resaerch. Posted Image

I am not sure about 06.. Had a 2010 recently. Injector part numbers and cylinder numbers they came from must be recorded on dissasembly. New injectors and cylinders they go into also recorded. There is reflash required before startup or BAD things can happen. Something about fuel control calibration. Got selling dealer to cover this truck under powertrain warranty. There are several fuel related TSB's on these engines. May be worth some resaerch. Posted Image

Correct, The injector flow rates are programmed into the PCM, I have seen trucks run for several thousand miles after injector replacement without having the new flow rates programmed into the PCM, and without any notable issues.

the injectors nozzle are easy the take apart make sure that disassemble in a maganet tray there are little pieces that will fall out. make sure that most of the carbon is cleaned off to help break lose and restall with blue threadlocker.

They are kind of a bear to work on. Lots of stuff in the way. Make sure to blow out the pockets arund the injectors and on top of injectors, they collect alot of crap in there. A good 5mm allen head socket is a must on these!

Speaking of Duracraps. Does anyone know why there is a coolant port in the seperator plate on the upper right side? Had a friend blow that gasket out recently. Just covered by a cheesey block off plate. Maybe for some additional cooling system components for a different platform?

• 2 weeks later...

They call this the "Flywheel housing" between the eng and trans. Yep there is a plate and gasket there that blocks a coolant port. I've had to fix a couple the "proper" way, and I've also fixed a couple with a few of thsoe Delco stop leak cakes in the rad hoses and a good long hot road test. Your/ your customers call on how to proceed. Make sure the bolt holes aren't stripped out in the housing. (alum).

Just did a waterpump on an 04 gmc. Anyone ever see a cavitated housing on these?

There was a crater and a smaller crater next to it in the housing.

Yep, they all have some cavitation damage. You can get a new oem already bolted to the housing, or an ac delco that does not contain a housing. also the outlet to the oil cooler uses a steel gasket, the ac delco comes with a fiber gasket. It always goes in the trash.