What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

TR sensor on a 2006 F350 5.4L

It's an '06 so it has a Torqshift, not a 4R100. This means the TR sensor is internal, and requires manual lever removal to replace if I'm not mistaken. What may I ask is the reason for replacement?

Replaced for range performance codes. Only bitch I have with these is the one roll pin in the case. Pisses me off each and every time I do one.

2012 F550 with water in the rear tank.  :ohnoes:  Every time I get one of these, they say "We never get poor fuel, all our trucks go to the same place." So why do they constantly come in like this? The occasional one comes in with an obvious leak into the tank through the vent, but not all. Time to pay the piper on this one I guess.  :scratch:

Got one finally.  2010 e-350 ambulance that needs coolers under warranty. Came in for EGR codes and quickly noticed the coolant bottle low,  I still like how easily the up-pipes come out to inspect the back of the cooler.....  

BUT what I absolutely love is the cut and dry 6.0L coolant loss TSB ONLY applies up until 09.  I yelled a request into hotline today as to what the hell do I do now?  There is nothing in the PC/ED or WSM about egr coolers leaking because of oil cooler failure.  The PC/ED would have me put a valve in and ship it. 

Hotline tells me to reference the TSB for diag but obviously I can't claim the required TSB labor ops.  So I ask them if the claim is going to bounce if I change the oil cooler and flush the cooling system.  They tell me they can't make that determination. 

Why would ford not apply that TSB to all model year 6.0s? Why would they omit the 2010 like it was never going to have the same problems?  So I'm tossing coolers in this thing and we are going to see what happens. 

Got an 03 E-450 ambluance getting the front end rebuilt( new ball joints, I beam bushings, sway bar bushings, coil springs, shocks, tie rod ends, radius arm bushings), a 2001 F-350 with the V-10 that blew #4 spark plug out( #2 blew out about 1000 miles ago),  an LCF with a rusted tank and bad fuel pump, an 08 F-250 with a seized cv joint in the front driveshaft that busted that transfer case in half, a 2013 motohome with 126 miles getting a new trans, and a 6.7 F-550  just got dropped off that is venting out the secondary coolant jug after climbing a hill.

2009 F450, 38000 Kms.  Oil leaks galore: front crank seal, CMP sensor, bed plates, and flakey crank bearings.

a 2013 motohome with 126 miles getting a new trans

They got a new recall on the cooler lines on them things.

Got a number on it? Running the vin through OASIS doesn't show anything. This thing has been a major pain in the rear since it began. It was in route from the builder to the dealer when the driver said the trans starting slipping to the point were he pulled over and they had it towed to us. I drove it several times and my shop foreman drove it also, with no signs of any slippage. It sets codes for SSB and SSD solenoids, along with apply time  codes for those clutchs. It also set a engine overspeed code. Never could verify, so I got with hotline and they had me pull the pan and look for signs of water and shake the trans filter out to look for clutch material. Doing so found no water and a very small amount of clutch sediment in the filter. They then had me remove and dissassemble the solenoid body looking for clutch material. Of course everything was clean, so they told me to put it back together and verify the customer concern. My foreman had me replace shift solenoids B and D while I put it back together.   So once again my shop foreman and shop manager drove this thing nearly 50 miles with no issues. So manager makes the call to release it. Driver comes gets it, he gets 20 miles and it acts up again. Brings it back with all the same codes stored. Shop foreman takes a ride with him, it won't act up again. So he gets with the FSE for our area, he tells us to perform an air test on the trans and if it passes, replace the whole unit. So I ordered one yesterday.... I've only been doing trans work the past year or so I've been working for Ford, so it's been a great adventure on this one. My foreman's been working on Ford trans for the past 15 years, and he was stumped so I don't feel so bad about it.

Sounds like the wheelman is beating the bag off this trans or something. OR, this is going down, but you'd think you'd see oil fuckin' EVERYWHERE.

Jul 17 2013 6351 -Announcing Field Service Action 13B08

DELIVERY HOLD - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B08 - Certain 2013 Model Year F-Super Duty, Commercial Stripped Chassis, and Motorhome Vehicles Equipped with a 6.2L or 6.8L Engine - Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Line Inspection and Replacement. Refer to FMCDealer.com

13B08

Looks like they aren't cured properly, and it causes oil to drain out of the cooler line at an alarming rate... Making the transmission hate life.

Sounds like the wheelman is beating the bag off this trans or something. OR, this is going down, but you'd think you'd see oil fuckin' EVERYWHERE.

Jul 17 2013 6351 -Announcing Field Service Action 13B08

DELIVERY HOLD - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B08 - Certain 2013 Model Year F-Super Duty, Commercial Stripped Chassis, and Motorhome Vehicles Equipped with a 6.2L or 6.8L Engine - Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Line Inspection and Replacement. Refer to FMCDealer.com

13B08

Looks like they aren't cured properly, and it causes oil to drain out of the cooler line at an alarming rate... Making the transmission hate life.

This one is dry as a bone underneath.  I know its a hydralic issue internal to the trans somewhere, but not being able to verify it I'm just doing what the higher ups say. Personally, at this point I'd rather throw a complete in it anyways.

Last time I saw a RETAIL intake manifold replacement time for an F-series I think the chilton book was around 8 hrs.

I did one with 44's on it, the bumper was like at my waist.

Today's project was assembling this crate engine package.

Installed supercharger, alternator, trans, wiring harness, built a shipping crate for it.

Posted Image

5.0L Coyote, Ford Controls Pack engine management system, our in-house 2.3 Supercharger kit, 4R70W with a PCS controller, Boss alternator. Not pictured is the A/C and power steering, and great big heat exchanger that goes with the intercooler kit.

This combo makes a little over 2hp per cubic inch on 94 octane pump gas. The ones that we install in pickups/Mustangs also meet Ontario Drive Clean standards (same power level, this one just doesn't need to meet smog I assume, since it's going in a street rod of some type, and the Ford Controls Pack does not appear to have provisions for catalyst monitor oxygen sensors.)

'97 F350 460 - long block installed 800 miles ago at another dealer, getting another long block - cylinder 6 wall is scored bad

'12 F550 bus 6.7L - gremlins are trying to escape, pulled the lower pan off and found the thrust bearing in pieces, pulling the engine                                     out the front tommorow

'11 F450 - FRP going open and causing the truck to surge - P0087 - ordered an FRP today

I'm 6'1" not skinny as a rail but close to it.

Have a 6.4 F-550 rollback.  Check engine light on, DPF is plugged, reduced engine power, will not manual regen. Before all this I happened to notice the check air filter message on I/C.  Popped the air cleaner cover off and found this.

6.4 aif filter.jpg