Raptor and 6.2 BOSS confirmed

Rate this topic

Adam_Dodson

Looks to be roughly based on the 4.6/5.4 but thats just a guess.

Nah, I saw a pretty in-depth write up on this engine a while ago, it's an entirely new platform. The 6.2 is the first of 3 engines that is supposed to be derived from this platform, with a 5.8 and a 7.0 also being a result.

They're still holding onto the 'modular' design idea but there's nothing carryover at all with these engines from the familiar 4.6/5.4/6.8 setups. Apparently they get surprisingly good mileage as well for larger displacement V8's.

Still 2-valve in nature, but with a much higher static compression ratio than the current mod-motor family. Unsure if they're to be direct-injected or not.

Dave

The "Boss" platform has had a conceptual functioning 6.2 Twin-Turbo DI gas engine, I don't remember the power figures but they were flat-out absurd. In a good way. I think it was more of an experiment of what might be possible with the newer engines..

But if you're asking "does direct injection mean that it will also be turbo'd?" I believe the answer is no. For obvious reasons there are inherent power and efficiency advantages to having precise control over the volume and timing of fuel delivery on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis, and taking turbo's OUT of the equation would drastically reduce the cost of the engine when you think o fall the components involved. It's just that you get much more power and almost identical mileage (as long as you're not always stomping on it) WITH the turbos anyway, which is why I think the turbos will be a GREAT option because there's no real downside to the upgrade except for the initial cost.

For what it's worth, The Saturn SKY and Pontiac Solstice have naturally aspirated DI gas engines and they apparently run VERY well.

Oh, and by the way - I'm pretty sure this is a pushrod engine, too.

Dave

I recall reading about this... it was in the My Ford Magazine some time ago and now it is no longer available on line. Any way, I found the Ecoboost info flier (see attachment) which explained the concept. Is seems that Ecoboost implements direct injection, variable cam timing AND turbocharging. The result is more power and higher efficiency. They can make an engine smaller because of these increases which also makes the engines lighter. I don't know it this is ALL direct injected gas engines or just the ones under the name Ecoboost. Read the attachment thingy...

i heard the same thing. i believe the hurricane(boss) was supposed to be or maybe is still a pushrod engine.

and why would it be a step back? chevy and dodge(although not as much) have both proven that pushrod engines can still be reliable, make gobs of power, meet emissions, and get descent fuel mileage. and look at all the valvetrain troubles we have with the v8ohc's. maybe a step back is a step in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Direct injection has a HUGE benefit in cold start emissions. Since the fuel is sprayed into chamber and multiple spark events per combustion can be used, there is very little enrichment needed. A cold engine still only needs 14.7:1 +/- fuel mixture but when it is injected upstream a lot of it condenses onto surfaces prior to spark and you must give extra fuel to end up with 14.7:1. The extra fuel makes emissions HIGH on cold starts.

Pushrod motors allow cylinder de-activation hardware to be used, something very hard to package on an OHC engine.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Pushrod motors allow cylinder de-activation hardware to be used, something very hard to package on an OHC engine

I like the idea of solenoid operated valves. Then you can do away with pushrods and cams altogether.

• 2 months later...

You guys busy up there Ernie?

-40 eh? It was about 17© here last week. Posted Image

Are you guys having any DPF problems (not up at Diavik, I mean in town) with them plugging up? Shoot me a message on here if you've got a sec and let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading somewhere that Ford is going back to pushrod engines. I don't know how true that is though. Seems like a step back to me. Has anyone else heard something like that?

I need to correct myself. I saw a video on Ford's website and it says the

6.2L V8 will be a SOHC.

Nice truck! Did you guys notice something in this image, though?

Posted Image

I took the liberty of enhancing the image a bit, and picked out this detail...

Posted Image

I think the test driver likes it....

The "Boss" platform has had a conceptual functioning 6.2 Twin-Turbo DI gas engine, I don't remember the power figures but they were flat-out absurd. In a good way. I think it was more of an experiment of what might be possible with the newer engines..

But if you're asking "does direct injection mean that it will also be turbo'd?" I believe the answer is no. For obvious reasons there are inherent power and efficiency advantages to having precise control over the volume and timing of fuel delivery on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis, and taking turbo's OUT of the equation would drastically reduce the cost of the engine when you think o fall the components involved. It's just that you get much more power and almost identical mileage (as long as you're not always stomping on it) WITH the turbos anyway, which is why I think the turbos will be a GREAT option because there's no real downside to the upgrade except for the initial cost.

For what it's worth, The Saturn SKY and Pontiac Solstice have naturally aspirated DI gas engines and they apparently run VERY well.

Oh, and by the way - I'm pretty sure this is a pushrod engine, too.

Dave

This, with the exception of the pushrod engine part

If I am not mistaken, instead of VCT control it will incorporate hydraulically controlled valve train. at least that is what they showed us

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, gotcha. I've been a bit 'out of the Ford loop' for the last 3 months, seeing as I'm no longer an employe of FoMoCo. Kinda nice.. but kinda not, I guess. As sadistic as it sounds, I miss the 6.0's and 6.4's. And everything else for that matter. I just don't miss getting bent over the fenders every time I have to work on them. 90% of my work was Warranty work, it was getting out of hand.

Dave