What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Particle filter on a 2009 F350 cab/chassis. For some reason the tail pipe hits the frame member at the rear tank before it separates from the particle filter. I have to drop the down pipe and slide the converter forward to get it out. Have they always been this way?

Hmmm not sure on that one.  I did a dpf a few weeks ago on a C&C but all I did was jack up the whole post DPF exhaust so the hangers swung the pipe backwards about 3-4"

Today I did one #7 injector on a 06.  Quite possibly the worst overfueling injector i've ever seen without external damage. 

Talked to the shop guy down at the ambulance garage.  They own a fleet of econoline buses too, all v-10s. one 07 blew a heater hose, overheated and smoked the headgaskets.  I can't fit it inside so if they want to long block it I'll be back outside for a few days.

Also talked to another guy with a 03 6.0 F-550 bucket truck that is at a phone company a few miles down the road.  It's a hard start cold, runs rough so I'm going to try and make a road call after work tomorrow to have a look.  Even if I can get it up to the shop it's not fitting inside either.

Went and looked at the 03 F-550 tonight.  I didn't know it before but found out it hasn't ran in over a year.  Threw IDS on it and it gave me all injector low codes.  A quick peak at MPWR showed 20v cranking.  Tossed my spare ficm in it and got those injectors rattling good.  It's still a really slow crank but it ran and idled fine for about 45 minutes while I was there.  They're going to try and drive it up to the shop tomorrow.  They pulled it out, moved it around, moved the boom around and all that stuff worked fine.

The A/C compressor is about to spit the hub off.  The main engine harness is quite chewed up from varmints. The coolant looks like rust water.  I ran the rpms up and cycled VGTDC and the turbo atleast moves around but could probably use a good cleaning.  Also the ICP is leaking a little bit. 

We shall see how this "barn find" 6.0 goes

Got it all authorized, FICM, main engine and FICM harnesses, both coolers (yes the 03 is actually leaking), A/C compressor, serp belt, oil pan, one p/s line, coolant flush, fuel filters, batteries, ICP sensor, front brakes, rotors and balljoints plus all the typical crap that goes with it.  I'll clean the turbo and the intake like always. 

The econoline V10 longblock job is going down the street to our independent buddies.  phew! 

Doing a set of coolers/stc on the ambulance companies ONE and ONLY 6.0 f-series, almost done, crack the turbo to clean it and the turbine is melted. At 3:30 today I'm not getting a turbo so work haults to a stop. 

There's a 6.4 outside that needs at the very least a horiztonal cooler customer pay.  I haven't been given the go ahead to look at it yet. 

The bucket truck has been done.  There was a slight tie up getting it re-registered, insured and state inspected.  I ended up with 25 hours on it.  Not sure if I gave or got the screwing, there was so much overlap but it ended up needing an IPR and a fan clutch after it was all done.  I sure don't feel like I slammed it home. 

Alright.  All is not well in 6.4 land.  The one with coolers hydrolocked overnight so I had to pull all the glowplugs to get the cylinders dried out.  Figured I might as well manual compression test it. Not the easiest thing with a bunch of washed down cylinder walls.  Once I did get them all oiled up again and finally started getting some good readings I was well into 3 hours.  Base engine is fine as far as I can tell, getting 400+ on all holes now. 

Pulled in another 6.4 with a P0303 and a dead hole on #3 cylinder.  Relative down 22% and 5% on #8. No idea what's going on with that yet.  It's one month away from being out of warranty.  It's blowing raw fuel out the exhaust so the DPF/DOC is surely cooked.  There is a lot of fuel in the oil too.  I should just run it til it don't run no more. 

Customer pay EGR coolers are done.  Didn't get an okay on it until yesterday afternoon just in time to get everything ordered for today.  Scramble to get that done, thankfully no further damage once the thing was running and blew all the coolant out of the exhaust. 

Other 6.4, number #3 intake valve bridge is laying out of place.  Obviously the reason for no compression on that hole. Doesn't explain why I'm getting 360-380 on every other hole EXCEPT 2 and 8.  #2 is 310 and #8 is 300.  (Suspicious? yes, also suspicious is all the worn out rockers)

The #3 intake lifter is stuck at the top of the bore, pulled all the shit out of the way, crank the engine over and the pushrod just sits there. 

(Suspicious? yes, also suspicious is all the worn out rockers)

Not suspicious, this is normal. I would almost consider rocker arm replacement as a maintenance item after warranty runs out and Ford stops paying for them. Almost every one I pull the valve covers off now get a set of rockers.

I've managed to avoid 6.4s more than not.  I was pretty surprised to see all the rockers and valve bridges are destroyed in this engine at 75k miles.  Honestly I didn't check the hours because I plain forgot.

#2 and #8 cylinder walls are washed out.  I've got to believe this is pretty typical also.  No overfilled oil, no oil in the cac. Front cover is cavitated and the high turbo has a bit more play than it should.  I think I need a little more damage for a shortblock, so I'll mount it up on the stand tomorrow and tear a few caps off.   

Also I did have to get the field service engineer involved on this truck.  The warranty is one month from being out and it is pretty apparent that someone was right in the middle of removing the cab and aborted.  This truck has no warranty history (YET) and all my cab bolts were loose. The front 2 were hanging out about an inch.   I was told by hotline and FSE to proceed. 

Earlier today I finished up a 6.7 turbo, tomorrow I'm starting on coolers and possibly injectors on a 6.0 ambulance.  Also I have to diag another 6.0 f-series in the morning for a hard start runs rough....cough.... injectors

Work has been good, so good I haven't even been paying much attention to the new shop they're building.  It's coming along nicely.  They should be pouring the floor next week.  I did manage to talk them into TWO 18k lb racks for me.  Bring it on!

Head gaskets and coolers on a 2004 F550 regular cab, so no cab lift on this one, my hoist is too big and the little hoist is in use. No big deal, got the weekend to recover. Have a short block on a 6.4L F550 waiting for me next, retail.  :rockon:

Put a right bank of injectors in a 6.0 f-series today.  Also sold a HFCM and upgraded regulator kit.  Going in tomorrow to start the coolers on the ambulance.  Got the 6.4 shortblock out onto my rotisserie stand.  The stuck lifter doesn't have a roller, needles or anything on the bottom.

Head gaskets and coolers on a 2004 F550 regular cab, so no cab lift on this one, my hoist is too big and the little hoist is in use. No big deal, got the weekend to recover. Have a short block on a 6.4L F550 waiting for me next, retail.  :rockon:

You can lift a reg cab with three arms. I have a 18k rotary hoist and have done it a couple of times, just put a tall stand so people don't give you funny looks. I got the tip from Dwayne a couple of years ago.

Got the 6.4 shortblock out onto my rotisserie stand.  The stuck lifter doesn't have a roller, needles or anything on the bottom.

One of my 6.4s I did recently came in just like that too. Bent the pushtube, and the valve bridge fell out. Yours was like that too?

'10 Lincoln MKT with a dynamited cyliinder #4 piston (Ecobusted???) smoking worse than a 6.0L or 6.4L with a busted EGR cooler. '11 Fiesta loss of oil pressure causing bottom end damage. '04 E-450 no-start from an outside shop that has had a FICM, ICP sensor, IPR valve and God knows what else thrown at it in an unsuccessful attempt to repair, so what's next?

And my long weekend gets ruined with what I get to face when I go back on Tuesday. A '13 F-550 that just got delivered with all of 82 kms. and a "Check Engine" light along with the exhaust system fault in the cluster that won't go away. Apparently this just started after the work was done by the aftermarket body builder installing the dump box in the back. It sets a hard P0100 and P208C, along with a grocery list of U codes and random powertrain and SCR system codes. I already checked all wiring per the pinpoint tests, and came back good. THIS ought to be pretty when the week begins.

Or they crushed a network pair somewhere, maybe going to the NOx module?

Or if they drilled the frame for any mounting bolts they may have drilled into the harness, be sure to inspect VERY closely if there is a 'new' bolt near the harness, the drill bit will have gone in and come out of the harness with almost no evidence in most cases. Seen this many times on medium duty trucks.