What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Got a pair in my 2 bays.  Two twin white crew cab F-350s this construction company bought at the auction.  2011 6.7s with damn near the exact same crap wrong with both of them.  They're getting front axle u-joints, brakes, calipers, rotors, and backing plates all the way around.  Got a handful of bulbs to change and wire in new license plate sockets.  All maintenance sold on both.

Both these trucks have engine driven PTOs that they want removed.  I've gotta pull one apart tomorrow and see what factory stuff is missing.  I'm sure the factory fan bracket/pulley is missing. 

- 2013 F150 3.5 for both turbos at 116 000 km. Four oil changes on record, and it has already had a warranty set of timing chains and a warranty long block. This time it is finally retail.

- 2013 F150 5.0 with 167 000 km. 70 psi on cylinder 4 and 100 on cylinder 8. Quoted 2 heads. Fleet company wants a quote on a used engine. Ugh. Worst part is we have a factory 5.0 sitting in parts due to an ordering error. They priced it at cost + 10% just to get rid of the thing and the fleet still wants used junk over new heads or a 6006.

- 2013 1.6 Escape for a cracked head

2014 F350 with a failed vacuum pump. Not sure how much oil made it to the brake booster, but since they are not available at the moment, I have been requested to leave it. Customer wanted to keep the price low so I attempted to clean out the vacuum reservoir and blew it up in the process. No biggy, as it had a lot of oil in it and they agreed to change it when we told them what happened. Have the new pump in, just waiting for the reservoir to see if the booster is okay.

Gonna snap it up?

Hah. I have no use for a truck. Beside that I am broke. You know, 1 income, wife, kids, cats, mortgage, food...
That's cool that she can stay home. I know lots of people who can't pull that off.

That's cool that she can stay home. I know lots of people who can't pull that off.

I am barely pulling it off. Wifey has been looking for part time work and even that is hard to do. Recovering economy my ass! She almost had one job, didn't get it cause she does not speak Spanish. WTF!  :mad:

How does oil make it to the booster?

The vacuum pump is fed engine oil for lubrication. When it fails the lube oil get pushed into the vacuum system. If you run it long enough it will fill the vacuum reservoir and eventually make its way to the brake booster. I have seen some bad enough to push oil down to the 4x4 vacuum hub locks.

That F150 I called turbos on was declined. They came and drove off with it against our recommendation. 100 km later it blew the left side turbo, puked oil all over the place and the driver ran it 'til the 3.5 locked up. They came back upset .... ha

2005 6L that I diagnosed a FICM on a few weeks ago that left so his "Buddy" could do the FICM. Now it's back with an aftermarket performance FICM, aftermarket oil cooler, which is covered in oil, and some billet filter and oil fill caps with lines running all over the place. One oil line is pushing on the engine harness and jammed the air inlet hose up into the degas bottle. Has a few stripped out valve cover bolt holes, the MAP sensor hose is not attached to the intake, P0611 even though the FICM_mpwr is at 54 volts steady( maybe the cause). #2 injector circuit and contribution, found the connector pushed down into the housing so I guess it's not connected. Told the guy I want an open VISA or I am not touching it. 

The P0611 will set with an aftermarket 58v FICM. The highest IDS will read is 54.5v but manually checking voltage will confirm what it's actually putting out.

I run a hot FICM in my truck, no issues in several years of having it.

This pics a few years old, I've long since ran over that voltmeter

image.jpg

The P0611 will set with an aftermarket 58v FICM. The highest IDS will read is 54.5v but manually checking voltage will confirm what it's actually putting out.I run a hot FICM in my truck, no issues in several years of having it.This pics a few years old, I've long since ran over that voltmeter

I'll second that, my Excursion has a 58V FICM on it and has the perpetual p0611.

Posts like this only reinforce my decision even further not to even think about getting one of those "hot" FICMs for my truck.

Injectors buzz a little louder and respond a little better.  Not much more than that.  I was skeptical at first too but winter time cold starts are improved.  I also run aftermarket programming on my FICM in addition to the voltage increase.  A 40hp FICM tune makes a nice difference too.

'05 Escape 2.3 four banger with a hole in the block. How in the fuck does an eleven year old vehicle have ESP? They want me to tear it down for the inspector to come and see. And what the hell is to point to doing a cost cap when the only particular part of the engine "available" is a 6006 assembly (not even a 6009)? :crazy:

Got a new Hofmann alignment machine this week. Our alignment rack won't handle super duties well but this machine allows readings to be taken on the floor. Wheeled it right over to the truck and took measurements in my second bay.

image.jpg

• Like 1

We sell a royalshield warranty with just about every used vehicle. My parents made out good with their 06 mountineer they bought 2 years ago. Solenoid body, radiator and outer tie rod. All covered.

I assume that's a brand of aftermarket warranty? If so then my issue isn't with those products - at least they pay retail labour rates (while sometimes fighting to install used parts). My complaint is being paid Ford SLTS on something that's only a stone's throw from the scrap yard.

Did a '11 6.7 EGT14 today. I take it the latest calibration is why this truck did not go into some type of shut down or idle only mode with that sensor reading 2.5 k?

I've has several trucks come in after doing the 14E03 recall that had bad EGT sensors, but would not shut the truck down.  Also the 11 and 12 trucks have extended coverage on EGT sensors now.

I've has several trucks come in after doing the 14E03 recall that had bad EGT sensors, but would not shut the truck down.  Also the 11 and 12 trucks have extended coverage on EGT sensors now.

Thanks for confirming the fact that after the latest calibration the trucks may not shut down. The only difference the driver noticed on this vehicle was trans strategy under load. Thanks for also bringing up the fact that the EGT's have extended coverage, I was aware of that and gave that info to the customer. He opted to pay me to replace the sensor anyway. This is one of my better customers and a big contributor to the reason I can work out of the shop I do and have the tools to diagnose and fix his vehicles. I actually did the latest calibration a couple of weeks ago because of the 14E03 recall, I also did some other work that would have been under warranty. It's people like you, him, people on this site, and tons of other mentors that have helped me out over the years to get me to the point that I get play with my tools every day and most days I get paid for it. THANKS