Self inflicted damage???

Rate this topic

Hey guys,, what are your thoughts on this.

It was a small town shop that plugged the degas vent hose from the radiator. Do you all think an air bubble got trapped and stuck at the coolant pump?? The customer said the gauge was pegged for about 2 miles. I'm not so sure about that. Unless the oil cooler was completely plugged,, his coolant had to be boiling. Isn't it 350* to melt the plastic?

doesn't matter, if it is 2 miles or whatever.

I, myself have been monitoring EOT and ECT via IDS, in few cases I have seen EOT are 70 to 100 degrees higher than ECT, while the gauge on dash reads "normal".

Bottom line:::::Gauge are not 100% accurate period!Gauge might be reading air pocket temperature while there are no coolant or little coolant circulating the engine, coolers etc..etc..This is why diesel coolant system must be bleed properly whenever it is drained or taken apart. I know a lot of guys don't do that, they add coolant, slammed the hood, road test and park it.Few weeks or months later, something else took a chit! 

Probably because they broke it off when they were doing the R & R on the fan shroud.

I have broken a couple myself, and from experience, a good rad shop will have brass fittings that can be threaded in place. Saved my ass a few times.

I did the one in the video just like yours Matt. I tapped it just like normal,, then put epoxy around the outside of the threads. Very ghetto repair,, but it worked. We get radiators for about $200 (but get a couple bucks more at the sale) so I have just replaced whenever they come in broken.

My favored repair is to use a 1 inch long piece of old small diameter brake line and drill rad and nipple so it fits inside. I JB Weld the steel tube into rad and nipple and the nipple to rad. I use the 5 minute JB Weld and 100 grit sandpaper prep on rad and nipple.

Second step I do is to find a 1 inch by 1/4 inch piece of thin metal I cut with metal snips. I JB Welded that across top of rad to nipple, 1/2 inch on both, and then put another layer of JB Weld around the nipple to rad joint. The little strip of metal really braces it up. I test this repair on a seam leaking rad first and it withstood a lot of force, more than it takes to break a virgin nipple off.