What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

A trailer. To load my shit on. 'cause I'm outa here!

only a trailer? Not only did my dealer try to convince me to stay they even loaded and moved my tools with one of their rollback tow trucks Posted Image

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only a trailer? Not only did my dealer try to convince me to stay they even loaded and moved my tools with one of their rollback tow trucks Posted Image

Did they offer you free return shipping?

The should have locked your box in the parts department if they wanted you to stay.

considering I went to work for one of their larger customers I think it was more of a suck up move then anything at that point so I would keep bringing trucks in

• 2 weeks later...

Got an 05 f-150 towed in, indi shop diaged it for a leaking #8 fuel injector and a broken rod. Customer is a dick, phoned and phoned until sm agreed to "look at it". Truck shows up, engine is out and torn down to the short block and scattered in the box and cab. We told customer to eat shit and come get it, then we phoned recall center and explained the situation.(they agreed) 4 days later a manager from the recall center phoned and said, go ahead and fix it. So I got to longblock it, and sort out some other dudes mess of parts.

OH yeah, and the f-150 with the stability control problem is still in and out of my bay. Dealing with engineering in michigan and our fse from calgary is getting very frustrating. I'm about a day away from refusing to work on it anymore.

Longblocking a 5.4 in a 08 F-250. Also getting both manifolds, cats, coils and plugs. Took about 4 hours diag just to figure out what this thing was doing. Aside from the 6 bad coils and 2 plugged cats oil pressure was around 15 psi hot. Also the LH manifold is split in half between 7 and 8.

Since I had to pull the cats out anyways I just yanked the trans while I was in there.

We have a 6.4 that was filled with gas and ran until it died and of course I didn't get that. Our other diesel guy is really starting to piss me off. Everything he fucking works on comes back.

Our other diesel guy is really starting to piss me off. Everything he fucking works on comes back.

Same here. They load up the other guy because he gets paid less per hour than I do. 3-4 out of every 10 trucks he touches comes back with the same problem yet they still load him up. Example: Hack did bed plate gasket in 6.0L when almost out of warranty, in chassis. Of course said had to do front cover first, get an extra 6 hours out of the job. Now the truck is out of warranty, out of 12 mo/12k warranty and this poor guy brings his truck back atleast once a month for oil leaks. Hack replaces oil cooler base gasket, next time HP oil pump cover gasket, next time rear cover. Just beating around the bush because he does not want to re-do the bed plate gaskets the right way, with the engine on a stand.

Just beating around the bush because he does not want to re-do the bed plate gaskets the right way, with the engine on a stand.

And these are the kind of guys I don't like. They will shortcut every procedure there is that they can get away with (which I am very open minded to, IF it doesn't compromise the quality of the repair). BUT, when shit hits the fan, they duck out of responsibility. Case in point, just recently I had an '04 F-150 that a guy brought to me, to diagnose an issue with the ABS light and red brake light on all the time. This one gave me a hard to time to diagnose because the two main powers and grounds checked out "good" with the DVOM. After a double-checking and triple-checking was when I found the voltage reading low on one of the main power circuits. It wasn't until I was able to access and almost completely tear open the main harness between the main bulkhead connector to the ABS module and the smart junction box that I found the green death on the circuit in question, directly below the driver side wiper cowling. After repairing successfully, life was good for about a month. This was when I got a call from the owner informing me his front wheels wouldn't engage when he selected 4 x 4. Apparently this was noticed shortly after repairing his ABS issue successfully. Since he was kind enough not to use the words "ever since you ....." , I took the vehicle back and looked into it, where I checked to see if I had left any vacuum hoses disconnected during the time I was attempting to pinpoint the source of the open circuit. Long story short, it turned out his IWE solenoid had failed so I replaced it, and he gladly paid me for the labour and parts to repair without a fuss. The point being, had it been something I had done wrong to cause the issue, I wouldn't have charged him a penny.

hahaha ALSO, the other guy (puts the old in old school) in our shop who's never touched a diesel in his life manages to get a hold of a used 6.0 for a check out today. Doesn't call a thing on it, hardly even looks under the hood.... not that it would matter. So I stepped up, said something and got the okay to look at it.

Clean truck, one bad battery, filters are plugged solid and it needs some cac boots. Throw IDS on it, P1000 in the memory, pyro and boost gauges on the pillar. Run it up the road real quick and peaked out at.... ehhhh...... about 29-30 PSI. This this is programmed HOT and I fully expected to find the engine bay showered in coolant. A quick peak underneath, no cat on the exhaust.

I would have loved to see used car sell a tuned catless 6.0 to some unsuspecting customer but I suppose I just care to much.

/rant

Quote:
I would have loved to see used car sell a tuned catless 6.0 to some unsuspecting customer but I suppose I just care to much.

Ours does it all the time, Our general/ sales mgr has a hardon for lifted trucks, stocks the lot with all this crap lifted stuff from all over, and then sells esp on them. Then when we go for prior approval and they ask if its modified.....

we wholesaled our truck so I don't have to worry about it now. The original owner did bring the cat in but no one wanted to mess with it.

Finished up long blocking that 5.4 in a F250 on thursday and now have a 4r75 out of an 150 apart on the bench. OD servo snap ring in about 6 pieces and reverse band broken. Case is ruined

• 2 weeks later...

Have an 08 f-550 finning service truck in 2 of my bays right now.(with crane, vmac etc) Truck is too heavy to lift. Fuel has severe water contamination.Top fual bowl is corroded all to hell, and full of shiny metal filings.Has cylinder 8 missfire. Fuel trims ranging from +19 to -16. Getting pump and injectors etc, re and re and clean both tanks, flush lines, etc. quoted 39.5 hrs at 25% over our door rate, and it got approved in about 3 hours.(retail, obviously)

How about a 2006 Ranger, 3.0 with cyl 4 and 5 with poor sealing exhaust valves?

Putting ONE head on it, per fleet management company following bulletin to the letter. Glad I'm hourly, as it's a big 5 hours they're paying. And it's rusty.

I can see this 105k truck coming back in a month or two with right bank problems.

96 F-250, drag link, LF inner tierod, rear brake lines from the rabs back, parking brake cables, wheel cylinders....and I still have to look at the inop A/C

This thing is a rust pile, it's jobs like this that make me wish I was hourly

Does the '96 still have rear spring hangers and shackles left?

Been rust buckets from hell lately too, 2002 F350 plow truck 6.8, the dump body is nearly gone, you can see the tires! The guy left the salter full of salt from last March to January this year. It left after birth everywhere it went, in 20 lb piles. The starter rust jacked right off the motor, along with a thousand other things.

Hmm, lets see, my list to finish thru the weekend are 6 trucks for accessory installs, a 6.0 for a couple injectors, 3 separate 7.3's, 2 are no starts, and one thats due for a set of injectors and exhaust leaks, and a Detroit Series 60 that had the bearing on the bull gear let go and wiped out the front gear train. Poor driver for that truck is stuck up here from Texas staying in his sleeper until it gets fixed.

nothing looking at 2 empty bays, did a pdi this morning, hopefully it gets busy soon

I feel you! Been slow here all of January....real slow....worst I've ever seen it!

But now I've got a complete front end rebuild on a 99 f250 - ball joints, track bar, rotors/pads, drag links, tie rods....and it needs more work, the things falling apart....but the engine and trans are in good shape Posted Image

January was a terrible month, I only had one 40hr week. So happy to be flat rate but I shouldn't complain, I do get a 30hr guarantee which is more than any other dealership in the area is willing to provide.

Right now got a 08 F550 flatbed wrecker with a coolant leak. The lower hose is definitely leaking but there was coolant coming down off the crank pulley too. Pulled the water pump and the cover is starting to cavitate as I suspected but it's also worn out in the area right where the pump seals. Can't say I've seen that until now. This truck only has 43k miles on it.

I'm going in tomorrow to get going on this thing, I'm interested to see if the new front cover is the same updated part like that ESB had.