What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Being that 90% of the bolts I extract are M8 x 1.25 I was thinking of investing in a time-sert kit for that size (and possibly M6x1.0 also)

Anyone have any luck with time-serts or is everyone just using the cheaper heli-coils?

We use helicoils when we do thread repairs. I just did a few in a 6.0 rocker box. Went really well. Never used any other brand.

Anyone ever measured the distance between a 6.0 cam sensor and the cam peg? I put a sensor in a truck this morning and the sensor, while it looks original, is weirdly rounded on the end. I can see scuff marks in the middle of the round end like its contacted the peg. The new sensor is flat on the end like it should be.

Hmmmm

image.jpg

image.jpg

No question here, another stud job for my favorite fleet of 6.0s. Also put an IPR in a 6.0 no start today. Only built 66psi cranking, can't say I've seen one with such low pressure just be an IPR, also the screen was fully intact.

image.jpg

6.4 roll back that spit out both #4 rockers, bent some pushrods and both lifters stuck in their bores.  Not sure if they'll buy an engine or not, no cab pull if they do. Also got a 6.0 dump hard start, no start cold.  This weeks stud job is running good, wish I had time to do it to mine. 

My week in hell started off with the other guy quitting on Sunday, so left me alone this week on a 77 motorhome no start that I started with a fuel pump, and finished by rebuilding the carb, and proceeded to bite me in the ass because I didn't see the old plastic spacer from the old gasket and set the new gasket on it, so it refused to run under 1500rpm. Now a 6.4 that has a leak in back somewhere after replacing both uppipes while it was apart for head gaskets/studs/injectors and some valve work. And 3 6.0's, one for head gaskets again, another for the death wobble, and the last started to run away while I was looking at it, never knew I could pull an airbox that quick to kill it lol, ended up having about 9 gallons of fuel/oil mix in the pan and proceeds to dump more fuel into the pan with KOEO. Ending it is a 7.3 with fuel in the coolant that I have yet to see which head is causing that problem.

Tomorrow will be radiator day. A 64 and a 67. Then an engine harness in a 60. After work I have to get a junk yard 73 running. Seems I will have all the Powerstrokes covered.

Whoops...

Pontiac Fiero??? Appropriately named too, since it means what they were prone to in Italian if I recall correctly.

A guy I went to trade school with had one of those

V8 swapped. Just awful.

I'm doing a 5.4 replacement. It appears a roller went for a dump in a follower, grind itself to shrapnel and the follower body decided to bounce about in the valve train and fuck a bunch of things up.

Whoops...

Pontiac Fiero??? Appropriately named too, since it means what they were prone to in Italian if I recall correctly.
You sir win one dirty sock! It was towed in a no start. No fuel pressure. Pump not running. Dropped tank. It was about the worst I've ever seen. Cleaned rust out by using apple cider vinegar. Worked really well. Found new sending unit on the net. It wanted to run but wouldn't quite kick off. The spark was pretty weak so pulled the dist cap and scraped the corrosion off cap and rotor, scraped some rust off pole piece, pulled and gapped the rear plugs. If fired right up but was missing on cyl 2 & 6. It had last run 5 years ago and overheated badly so was worried about head gasket issues. Ran about 10 minutes to get to 200 degrees so figured it was OK. Idle was too fast and thought timing might be set too fast. Put it in diag mode and checked timing. Boom!!!Spark plug blows out of cyl 2!!! Well half the plug. The plug had RUSTED THROUGH!!! After some thought and checking labor times recommended the engine be dropped to make access to plugs easier. It needed an alternator and rear brakes so figured it was cost efficient for the customer.Once engine was out, it was surprisingly easy, broke another plug off. Got them out with an easy-out. Ran a compression test. Had to add some oil to a couple as they were washed down but motor seems fine.Replacing dist/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/alternator/hoses/water pump/thermostat and machining rotors replaceing pads.

IMG_20140502_174411684.jpg

Oh...the repairs have broken the $4K mark...car only shows 78K miles. Interior is clean as a pin. Red paint is scorched and ugly as usual for these plastic panels of this vintage.

And it will still only be worth $1000 after all that.God damn I hate those things. Lol.

I've been turning bolts for better than 45 years and can't remember ever touching one of these. The drivetrain drop is really easy. Was surprised I had zero trouble getting things loose. Other than the 2-4-6 plugs.

I owned one of these once. Briefly. 1985 2M4 ... complete with hooker headers, holley intake and that stupid ram air scoop thing on the driver's side. Working on it was always pretty easy for the most part. The thing was a blast to drive - sits about 2" off the ground and it handles like it's on rails. And I was always a sucker for the pop up headlamps,