Knock knock. Who's there?

Rate this topic

The one I just did broke the crank into 3 pieces amongst doing many other bad things. Amazingly this thing still ran after it got towed in.

20140317 085828

The bearings looked like bacon, but didn't smell near as good.
  • Like 1

Do you guys normally tear an engine down that far for a catastrophic failure? Every one of these that I find with the rod bearings laying in the pan the pistons hit the valves, so cost cap tool says replace. We remove the pan and heads only.  Prior approval asks for pictures, and I get approval for a complete every time.  Maybe things are different in the US?

Hotline will tell you to do a complete disassembly and cost cap. I did that once NEVER again.

I got paid nothing to do that tear down/reassemble for core. Went over multiple times with management and directly with the outside warranty processor-nothing.

What's up with broken cranks?

I haven't seen that in years. Chevy MD trucks with 366 and 427 engines in the 70's and early eighties had a bit of a pattenr failure of breaking cranks and nothing since that I have been aware of?

The one currently in my stall shattered #8 rod, took chunks out of #4 and #8 cylinder walls, and poked 2 holes in the block. Something bounced off the camshaft and left a nice mark. Heads are coming off to inspect.

Update, #8 piston siezed in cylinder. 12 bent exhaust pushrods, 2 broken rocker arm mounts, exhaust valve contact on all pistons.

Long block time. Now to inspect the fuel system for contamination.

Done 2 more since this one. Latest had 7 bent rods and the heads were fine. That one got a short block. After some evaluations of the truck, we believe they ended up swamping all 3 trucks( same customer for all 3). They have their own techs on site, so they came to us slightly cleaned up.

They don't have head gasket kits anywhere and no promise date for them, so it's hard to go the short block route. I find we haven't had to do too much work to get prior approval for a long block because of the lack of parts.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hotline will tell you to do a complete disassembly and cost cap. I did that once NEVER again.I got paid nothing to do that tear down/reassemble for core. Went over multiple times with management and directly with the outside warranty processor-nothing.

I would m time it, or claim half the overhaul time. "As per technical hotline request, tore down engine assembly to determine cost cap and root cause. Reassembly required for core reimbursement". That or fire the pile of shit back into the black box and let someone else worry about it.This isn't the Salvation Army. We don't work for free.

Hotline will tell you to do a complete disassembly and cost cap. I did that once NEVER again.I got paid nothing to do that tear down/reassemble for core. Went over multiple times with management and directly with the outside warranty processor-nothing.

I would m time it, or claim half the overhaul time."As per technical hotline request, tore down engine assembly to determine cost cap and root cause. Reassembly required for core reimbursement".That or fire the pile of shit back into the black box and let someone else worry about it.This isn't the Salvation Army. We don't work for free.

I've been in this boat a couple of times myself, enough to where I won't even touch one bolt on a truck until I establish HOW I'm getting paid. Failing that, the truck sits outside to grow plants under it. I had one such truck in with about 295,000 that another dealer cammed and liftered about a year ago. He came in complaining of an overfull crankcase. Conveniently enough, he happens to have DieselCare warranty up to 300,000....... OR 7500 hours. He came in DEMANDING I repair his truck. As soon as I checked the engine hour count, it showed 9072 hours. Damn, it sucks to him, now PAY UP SUCKA, or I'm not playing. Hmmmm, his truck sure left in a hurry.

Probably to have the hours reset in the cluster and go somewhere else.

How would that work? You can reset cluster hours in IDS. Truck comes in with 4 hours and 290,000 on it.

I try to avoid tearing them down, but now with digital imaging prior approval they always want pictures of all damaged components and the causal part.

We kept getting flagged in the 126 reports for labour cost on engine replacements. We just had a warranty audit this summer, and the auditor (Ken Garbish for any of you western Canadians) showed us that it is because we were claiming mt time to reassemble core engines. He said don't claim it. Get the apprentice or wash bay kids to put it back together however to make it all fit in the crate. 

I try to avoid tearing them down, but now with digital imaging prior approval they always want pictures of all damaged components and the causal part. We kept getting flagged in the 126 reports for labour cost on engine replacements. We just had a warranty audit this summer, and the auditor (Ken Garbish for any of you western Canadians) showed us that it is because we were claiming mt time to reassemble core engines. He said don't claim it. Get the apprentice or wash bay kids to put it back together however to make it all fit in the crate.

That is fucked up and it provides even more fuel to the fire. The problem is that all of this is time consuming. What difference does it make whether the diesel tech whom is "repairing" the truck or some hourly apprentice puts it together? The dealership is still absorbing the cost of the labor that Ford is not adequately compensating them for.

That makes as much sense as having the janitor stitch your abdomen shut after an appendectomy because the insurance company CEO wants a bonus and can't pay anough for the doc to do it.

If they want it apart and that is part of the process then it is paid for. Period. Otherwise they should accept it piled into crate and the lid thrown on.

BULLSHIT on that auditor's statement.

His statement is COMPLETELY equal to, "if a vehicle comes in a few thou over milage then just add that line to an RO on a vehicle just a few thou from going out of warranty". Or, "send in some false rebate claims to cover it"

They have the power to avoid these costs: make the product better. The gamble of shaving a few bucks off each engine carries the risk of spending thousands on each that fails.

• Like 1

The shit is really hitting the fan at my dealer as our new parts and service director claims all diagnosis, teardown, and reassembly as well as doing the cost cap crap is included in the labor time and there will be no straight time for it.  By the way I am at a gm dealer.  Our labor ops have been slowly being ground down on things that require prior approval.  I told him yesterday that these jobs will set outside

until someone does the work I am not being payed to do.  I have a transmission to tead down outside right now waiting.  This particular car was towed to our dealer because the chevy dealer 6 miles away let it set outside for 2 months.  It a rear fuckfest around here.  I will gladly repair it per the workshop manual, which is what is covered by the labor op. 

That same PSD would fire you for walking out the door with $300 cash wouldn't he? How is it his failing to get reimbursed for what is due is not the same as stealing from the owner of that store? If he has you work for free he is preventing the dealer from collecting for your time spent? Take flat rate pay out of this and he would be fighting for the time to pay you he is not getting paid for. The dealer principal/owner needs to be the one taking this to the manufacturer.

I have never once claimed M-time on a diesel repair regardless and I am the only one performing diesel repairs in our shop, if I wasn't basically hourly no one would be doing them.  Guess what, our numbers are through the roof. Apparently I'm hanging too many parts on these trucks but not a fucking one has returned for any problems whatsoever.  Infact we've been dead for 2 straight months because all my fleet customers aren't having any problems.  But I'm in the wrong and clearly can't do it right.

No one is ever going to win this game

• Like 1