What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Hey Matt a while back if one injector failed the cumbustion press test prior app would require all replaced on that bank... Just saying that might be the ticket

Transmission tech is on holiday, so get his work for now. TR sensor on a 2009 Escape..what a PITA. Front pump seal on a 2012 F150.

03 topkick for a range sensor, no parts till tomorrow, 03 550 for LH exhaust manifold gasket and EBP tube, 05 Ottawa shunt truck for a no crank, got a shitty ground somewhere.

Well no time to be mad anymore.  Too damn busy.  Doing balljoints, shocks and a steering damper on a 05 F-350 DRW.  In my other bay is a 12 F-450 plow/salt truck that has totally annihilated the brakes in 40,000 miles. Nearly wore out my dually buddy on this thing. Pads, rotors, axle seals and one caliper will be sufficient.  Outside is a 08 F-150 that has a locked up tranny.  Sold them a reman unit plus the tranny and power steering lines that are rusted to hell.  Also the one no cab pull F-550 6.4 I dropped a complete in is back again.  I just put a left side manifold gasket on it a few weeks ago, I bet that damn thing loosened up again (I may kill hotline for not letting me put a manifold on it).  And tomorrow there's another one of my fleets dropping off a v-mac'd 6.7 F-550 for a "misfire"

Replaced the up-pipe exhaust temp sensor in an 08 F-350 today. Had an intermittent open while driving. Got all done, grabbed the scanner and noticed that it was reading 140* after sitting on the hoist for the last 5 hours. I believe I have a brand new sensor with an open circuit. Voltage read 4.65 volts. Took the old sensor pigtail and twisted the wires together plugged it in and it reads zero volts. :facepalm: And then there's the 03 F-250 that I tore the rear end apart a week ago and then started doing ball joints while I was waiting for the rear end parts that I haven't touched in the last 3 days I was there. 

Oh and I found out that the 13 F-350 that I did that tsb that has you replace the pigtail for egt codes has the check engine light back on. :crazy:

- 3 or so 2013 Escapes with running rough/hesitation/cluster lit up like a Christmas tree. fixing splices as per tsb 13 12 12 while waiting for the new recall to actually have instructions. other ones need the CAC temp sensor, but they are USA no.

- 13 escape with a bum RCM. USA no for availability.

- more 13S12s just for good measure. they had somebody else do one and he wound up cooking the engine.  :rotz:

- 2012 5.0 F150, 115 000 km on a two year lease that is up in a couple months. the mileage penalty will be bad, but not as bad as the 110 psi on #4 and #8. pissing out the intake valves. time for retail heads!

- retail rear end on a 9.75 posi 1/2 ton

Remember the ambulance that I was suspicious the contaminated IPR/cracked HPOP wasn't going to fix it? Yup my instincts were correct.

Stopped down the ambulance garage to look at it tonight. Towed in last night, shut it off, came back and it wouldn't start. First thing I noticed( which I double and triple checked initially) was the fuel pump was not running. Unplugged the connector, no power with the pump commanded on. Plugged it back in, went over to the inertia switch and wiggled the connector.....bam pump comes on, thing starts right up.

I knew it was coming, anymore my intuition doesn't let me down. I'm surprised it stayed running for a week

Also the 2011 F-550 with a "misfire" showed up today.  Got it to do it, only after the thing was hot would it lack power and start to surge when you tried to hammer it down. I'm not 100% sure what it's doing, it definitely didn't feel like a misfire.  The surge showed up in MAF and EGR actual/commanded.  EBP seemed really high when it happened on one recording I made.  No codes and I updated the pcm calibration.  It reminds me of a bad VGT solenoid on a 6.0 that causes a surge. 

The compressor wheel is dinged up pretty good from what I suspect is FOD.  The intake duct is non-oem from the V-MAC compressor and it very well could have sucked some dirt at one point in time.  I'm leaning towards a turbo, called it into the fleet maintenance company and told them what I thought. We'll see if I get the okay tomorrow. 

Just finished up a 2015 Diesel Transit. Had a loose connection in the high amp fuse box under the driver's seat causing a no crank concern.  I pulled an 5.4 engine out of a 2011 E-350 last night, it's pushing oil into the cooling system. Tested the oil cooler per hotline, saw no leakage so I'm working on getting the heads pulled off. Got a retail complete 6.4 to put in a bucket truck. Then had a 2015 F-250 towed in last night. Belongs to Enterprise Rent a Car, truck has 54 miles. They filled it up with gas and drove it till it quit.

Just finished up a 2015 Diesel Transit. Had a loose connection in the high amp fuse box under the driver's seat causing a no crank concern.  I pulled an 5.4 engine out of a 2011 E-350 last night, it's pushing oil into the cooling system. Tested the oil cooler per hotline, saw no leakage so I'm working on getting the heads pulled off. Got a retail complete 6.4 to put in a bucket truck. Then had a 2015 F-250 towed in last night. Belongs to Enterprise Rent a Car, truck has 54 miles. They filled it up with gas and drove it till it quit.

CHA-CHING!!! :cheers-jeers: 

CHA-CHING!!! :cheers-jeers: 

What I said when I walked in this morning . The Diesel Transit has gotten some attention today. I've had an engineer call me twice on it and my FSE stopped by also. I drove it home overnight on Monday, put a total of 130 miles on it. I had it averaging 21.4 mpg when I got back to work, and power is pretty good and noise level is pretty quite.

Cleaned up everything I had sitting around. Just got some used crap to work on.

But i did get to play with the new fluid evacuator the shop bought. It works so slick that the service manager is talking about getting another one to use just for coolant and throw away them damn suction guns that never work right.

02 F-550 7.3 with a high pressure oil leak, found #8 injector leaking badly.  This is a sanitation truck.  Not authorized yet

Outside is an 07 F-550 6.0 with what I suspect is combustion gas in the right fuel rail, also has low FICM voltage, an underboost code and a fuel pump secondary circuit low code.

Both trucks are new customers, haven't worked on either one which is a nice change

Went in today and put a turbo in that 12 F-550 with a bad surge under load. Put over 30 miles on it post repair and it seemed to be fine, pulled every hill with ease, no hint of a surge.The compressor wheel was a little dinged up so I couldn't chance it under warranty. The bearings were coked pretty bad, I could barely spin the wheel in the chassis but when I set it on the bench suddenly it was fine.  I wonder if some 15w-40 oil would do these turbos some good, I doubt this one would have lasted much longer without total bearing failure. 

The compressor wheel was a little dinged up so I couldn't chance it under warranty. The bearings were coked pretty bad, I could barely spin the wheel in the chassis but when I set it on the bench suddenly it was fine.  I wonder if some 15w-40 oil would do these turbos some good, I doubt this one would have lasted much longer without total bearing failure. 

Regarding the compressor wheel, was there any indication of where the dirt came from?  

Regarding the bearing failures, IMO the turbo is the first to complain when there's a lube oil failure. I wonder if 15w-40 would make these turbos last longer, or there's some lube oil problem.

Regarding repeat turbo failures on 6.7s, I've heard of more than a few from my students that have had multiple turbos replaced on the same truck. I wonder if there's been an issue with the reman company.  Does anyone know who is remanning these units?

:grin:

Yes this veh has a v-mac air compressor installed and the intake duct and air filter are rerouted/relocated. The fitment is okay but there is a potential for someone to carelessly reinstall the duct. I have also seen instances where air filters become totally restricted causing drivers to remove them completely to keep going. I told this to the fleet maintenance company who's paying the bill, the wheel being damaged might not be the issue but I still can't warranty it.

The 6.7 turbos are not being reman'd yet. These are all new Garrett turbos, they even sport the same VGT solenoid as a 6.0. I think the issue is going to be on the trucks that are worked the hardest and seeing the highest temps.