What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Picked up ANOTHER set of 20" platinum wheels and tires today. Only 400 miles on these babies, basically brand stinking new for a whopping $700. I couldn't buy 3 tires for that price.I've come to the conclusion that if you're already paying for a platinum you definitely can afford to dump another $8-10k in wheels, lifts and deletes then turn around and unload your stock wheels dirt cheap.All the power to these guys :thumbup:

image.jpg

I know but when you really think about it most guys aren't looking to buy stock wheels. When money is spent it's usually on aftermarket.

This set was on Craigslist for 2 months without a bite. Guy wanted too much. He told me $1100 which was already lower than his initial asking price, I said $700 cash and he went for it. Honestly I wouldn't have bought them for much more.

I was the first one who even showed any interest and he wanted to move them.

Also 5 more trucks came in so far today.

Alright so here's what we got2006 F-350 6.0L towed in. Runs but has no throttle response, sounded very strange, almost quiet, pulling off the truck. Hopefully ICP or circuit related.2013 F-350 6.7. LF axle u-joint is shattered. Gonna need inner axle seals too.2008 F-350 6.4 Customer states no boost. I put an EBP in this thing a few months ago, it's the one that was setting P2263 KOER but couldn't duplicate any actual concerns. I had thought it might need a high pressure turbo so we'll see.2004 F-450 6.0 Customer can't keep the hot side cac boot from blowing off. Has a P0299 in memory, most likely a stuck turbo.2009 E-450 6.0 bus towed in. Customer wants an estimate for a tranny. Scan it for codes, has #6 contribution and #6 injector circuit, P0299 and a few O/D stuck off codes. Drove it in, #6 is dead and then #7 started to drop also. Trans fluid is cooked.Right now I'm back to working on what is quickly become my least favorite 6.4 job ever. Rear cover in the chassis. I had no idea what a pain in the ass this would be let alone do it on the ground with the cab on.I hope to god this damn thing stops breaking flexplates when I'm done with it. Here's some pics checking endplay

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looked at a 99 grand marquis with a misfire today. Found the #4 spark plug electrode smashed against the rest of the plug. Grabbed the borescope and took a look. I can see the top compression ring in one spot. Then I found out that one of my co-workers just jambed a plug in it for the same concern back in May. Never bothered to look down the cylinder.

- 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor 3.5 ..... inspection hole at cylinder 2, metal everywhere and all of the coolant in the crankcase. Getting the longest of blocks. 

- 2013 Escape 1.6 .... overheating message present. serpentine belt tensioner ate the belt and then chewed through the timing cover.

6.4 has a locked up high turbo and a P012F in it. The 6.0 needs and EBP, pigtail and a turbo cleaning/inspection. Driving it under a small load I heard the turbo making a noise looked down at my pids VGT was 14% and EBP was 4.98v. EBP is slightly biased at koeo.

Pulled the front diff out of the 14 F-350 and the right side bearing fell off the carrier.

Also had a 6.4 I dropped a complete in a few years ago come in with what I suspect is a manifold gasket squeal.

The other 6.0 had the rear ficm plug come loose. Zip tied it for now and it's gone. Gonna have to come back for headgaskets and an oil cooler.

I'm 90% sure this truck has "black onyx" headgaskets and studs installed. I could see black paint flaking off the exposed gasket.

Last time it was here it blew the lower rad tank off post repair road test. Today it built 15psi in the bottle.

Rollback is back, flexplate #6 broken clean off the crankshaft flange.

Whatever the issue is I clearly didn't identify it initially. It happens while driving down the road so that basically eliminates PTO misuse.

I have no idea at this point. The next plan is to run the engine with the tranny removed and see if anything shows itself.

Rollback is back, flexplate #6 broken clean off the crankshaft flange. Whatever the issue is I clearly didn't identify it initially. It happens while driving down the road so that basically eliminates PTO misuse. I have no idea at this point. The next plan is to run the engine with the tranny removed and see if anything shows itself.

Did you overhaul or replace the transmission, maybe worn pump bushing? Maybe a bad harmonic balancer or other issue causing engine to be out of balance (like a bent rod throwing a vibration you may not detect)? Relative compression and everything else OK? I seen dowels were checked, and adapter plate replaced so I wouldnt think they are continuing to be a cause unless the transmission case or block surface wasnt machined square.

Another after thought, end play is the same as axial runout. May try to check lateral and radial runout at the rear flange if possible to show if the crank is bent and wobbling, and pry flange up/down to see if there is excessive play from the main bearings allowing too much runout, and not so much the thrust bearings.

Yeah I put a reman trans in it, pump was damaged and had a few burned clutch packs.

It has to be engine related, I did not think about the serp belt being attached affecting endplay but I need to check it with the belt off.

Unfortunately the circumstances that played out the day I got this thing running did not allow me to follow up on the repair. I admittedly released it too soon.

The entire 20 mile post repair roadtest the truck was in regen. Power and engine noise were affected for sure and I couldn't really tell how it was running. Then when I got back from the roadtest the customer showed up curious about getting it back. I let it go too soon, just checked for codes and leaks, both were good so I gave it back to them.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I get to put this well built reman 6.7 that the customer supplied us. So far I have found missing intake bolts, missing plug for the oil pick up and they used black silicone instead of the metal gasket for the intake manifold. That's why the bolts are missing in the intake, because the holes are full of silicone so the builder decided not to put them in.

Forgot to note this is not a ford reman, its is from some place called engientech machining in edmonton alberta. Anyone from alberta know anything about this company?  I have already told my higher ups that this does not look good and apparently I don't have a choice, it has to go in. :boink:  :banghead:  :jeers-cheers:

Steve: Never heard of them personally, but they have a pretty fancy website. Seems they specialize in heavy duty mostly. Have you given them the heads up on the quality of their work? 

Anyone ever had a 6.7 secondary fuel filter restricted but when you cut it open nothing looks wrong?

Got one here today towed in with low fuel pressure codes. It stalled at one point but idled okay enough to load onto and off of the truck.

Fuel system was humming pretty loudly until I changed the secondary filter, then it was fine. Drove the truck 30 miles and it never acted up

Got one here today towed in with low fuel pressure codes. It stalled at one point but idled okay enough to load onto and off of the truck. Fuel system was humming pretty loudly until I changed the secondary filter,

I take it the fuel filter cover and o-ring were installed properly? Just curious what codes you had.