How long for you?

Rate this topic

v8ranger

21+ years for me. All with the same company too! I started right out of High School before starting technical college. Pretty neat to be working before starting school eh? I started in our Dodge store and moved to Ford within two.

The year was 1992. Started changing oil at a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif dealer at night, after school. It's been all downhill from there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

Thirteen years with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gifnow, and was dumped into diesels immediatley(not complaining),three years at an independent before that and preemployment for one year. Up here that means you spend a whole year in college learning every basic area of automotive and come out a second year apprentice. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my Dad and my Uncle both had shops that I was always muckin around in and started earning a few doallars doing oil changes when I was 14.

I haven't really been doing this a whole long time, but I suppose it's kinda interesting that I started working for Ford on 9/11/01. Strange first day on the job to say the least... shop ewas empty and everyone was watching TV, I remember thinking "damn this job looks easy.." hehehe..

Dave

It will be 15 years for me on April Fools Day as a professional tech. I worked at a couple indy shops and then I got a job at a Lincoln Dealer in May 1993. I felt like I got signed to the Major Leagues. I stayed there for 3.5 years an then moved to a Ford dealer. I started working on diesels on November 1997, and was the only diesel tech for about 5 years. That makes it really hard to learn. I stayed at that dealer for 11 years until I moved to the Ford dealer that I currently work at. I have been here for about 8-9 weeks. Now I work 5 minutes from home and will be riding my bike to work as soon as it gets a little warmer.

Started my 5th year this past Nov. at my first and only dealership. Looks like i may have my sr. master by the end of this yr. almost all diesel repair. may have to talk to Jim about a move north,,, allways wanted to see Canada.

31 years. Been in it long enough to have my son working in the bay next to me (cant tell you how cool that is). I never have gotten tired of it. Young guys, go into work every day with a smile on your face, and strive to be the best in your field. You'll go to bed knowing you've given it your best. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to see that "red wire with a pink tracer" long enough to work side by side with my son and grandsons.

I started with Ford on Valentine's Day 2001, and made that fateful decision to specialize in Diesel in 2004. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

It's usually an ok gig though...At least I'm busy.

Started Aug.21 1988 at indy shops.went to ford Oct 20 1997.off the bench now and have been demoted to service manager-i thought i drank alot being a tech.still doing my courses and am 2 class rooms from master.

After the lobster industry started to decline on Longisland my favorite PT job ended, so I started part time in 1987 at an indy shop when I was still in high school. a few other indy shops till 1994 when I started at first dealer and diesel work till 97 few more indys till 1999 when I started at the dealer I'm at now.

Entered the trade in and around 1995. Began and completed my apprenticeship at a Chrysler store from 1996 to 1999. Began working at my first Ford store in January 2000 as a licensed tech, at a Ford TRUCK dealer until they closed down due to Ford selling their heavy truck franchise to Freightliner. Been working on Ford CARS ever since. Just started wrenching on Diesels as a Ford certified tech in May of 2005, hoooooray for me.

Air Force for 6 years then I started As an aprentice in Westland Mich in march of 1992. Got my Diesel certs in 96 or 97 while at a Linc dealership in San Antonio Tx. Got my first Master Cert (Chassis) in 1999 in Aransas Pass Texas, Moved to Houston in 02 but had to move back to the Corpus Christi area in 04 for family reasons. Anyway 7 dealerships in 2 states and 6 cities. Tool boxes have wheels for a reason. Been all Ford though. I got more Certification plaques then I have walls. Still working on my Dealership General Manager Certification though.

sixteen years for me same dealer most everyone at my shop has been there for a very long time we have a realy great service manager.I was the first person to get diesel cert when we switched from lm to ford dealer. I like working on trucks without diesels there would be no work!!!

17 Years and 5 different Ford stores, all the moving around was by choice lol guess I like a differnt 4 walls to look at after awhile. Diesel mostly but I try to stay up on all aspects of things /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

18 years all at Ford dealerships for me. Started in parts and completed Journeyman training. Could not raise a family on a partsman salary, so i accepted a position as service advisor/warranty clerk. Only lasted 1 and 1/2 years. Started my Automotive Service Technician traning in 1994 and have had a blast ever since. Do mostly diesel, but enjoy all aspects of the trade. Crewcheif on a blown alcohol funny car on weekends during the summer.

I guess it will about ten years in the trade now ,started in 1997 changed oil for 3 years,took one year off to try university,did not like that so I went back to the trades,re started at the dealer I am at right now, been about 6 years, I am happy to pull wrenches to make my living