What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Finishing up a CPO inspection on a 12 F-350 getting a primary radiator, rear brakes, tires, and some other issues repaired. Also got an 08 F-550 V-10 getting a long block, a 07 F-550 that had compression in fuel due to a burned copper washer on #4. Got approval to replace bank 2 injectors, #4 cup, and fuel banjo bolt. Unpon removal of #2 and #8 inectors, found hold down bolts have stretched the threads and threads in the heads are also damaged. Waiting on hotline to reply for recommneded repairs.Oh yea its got ESP coverage too. And also just got a 2011 6.7 in with a large oil leak from the front and knocking in the bottom end... Gonna be a fun week.

I'm all caught up.

If anyone ever has to put injectors in an early duramax call in sick so the job gets stick handled to someone else. Hate those goddamn things.

Have an 04 550 outside that "has never run right" since I put a FICM on it and recommended injectors, six months ago, a sprinter van for a rear door latch.

This shit is really getting more fucked up than I could ever imagine. We dont have a service manager and now 2 guys are planning on leaving. The one who I work next to has a cab in the air pulling heads on a 5.4. I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck putting it back together

I don't know but I'm having one hell of a time focusing on what I'm doing. We authorized an account for a new fleet of super duties today.

edit- I still can't wrap my head around what's going on here.  I think I need an emergency exit plan.  If they think in any way I'm going to be any more than the diesel guy then I have no choice but to leave.  I've devoted every waking minute to this shop in the last year but I'll give it up in a second if I have to start doing trannies again.  Their isn't enough time in the day to do my job let alone every one else's. 

Just finished a 5.4 2 valve that had two broken exhaust manifold bolts, one was broke past flush, I will say gas supper duty's have all kinds of room to do manifolds. Most of the gas manifolds I have done have been 1/2 tons or vans. I have even done a 3 valve haft ton without removing the motor mounts,after seeing Alex's post I may remove the motor mounts on the next one.

I also finally got the chance to drill with the Boelube stuff and man does that stuff work.

Got an '05 escapee that the A/C compressor was noisy and it has metal and pulermized oil everywhere but the suction line back to the comp. I am going to try and flush the evaporator, everything else is getting replaced. It also looks like it has sealant in it, so this one will be fun.

Waiting on a exhaust manifold to come in for a 4.7 Duds Durango, it also had 2 broken bolts and 1 was past flush.

Still plugging away at my dump.  I'm not rushing this thing.  There's nothing else outside and my brain is cooked.

I'm building a turbo for it too.  I media blasted all the parts tonight.  I'll snap a pic tomorrow if I remember

05 F-550 dump cab on stud job

There's no core on these heads so in order to have 2 decent cores laying around I pulled the old switcheroo on my core ambulance heads.  Sending the junk head off this one back and keeping the one good one from the ambo.

It took quite a bit of pressure for the cracked head in this dump to show itself.  #5 hole, just like the last 3 I've seen.  100 psi in the fuel rail did it :D

• 2 weeks later...

2008 F550 maintanence truck that a fleet picked up at the auction.. :crazy: . They called in last week for an estimate on a HPFP and FRP sensor. Got it in today and found low ICP code, fuel cooler pump circuit code. Found the fuel cooler pump connector broken, the pump dead and coolant low, plus the hoses that go under the rad were pinched off from being routed wrong. Also replacing all the air compressor pulleys and belt. Replacing the high side A/C line that rubbed through on the compressor pulley. And it gets a new lower shroud. Once all that is done I will see if the start stall when hot is gone.

So I finally get this truck all put back together with the correct bolts in the correct places when I find a small leak on the passenger side of the radiator. Turns out that someone had jammed a too long of a bolt into the mounting boss of the transmission cooler and ran it through the side tank and must have been sealling. There was no leak prior to disassembly so I never paid attention to the bolts I was removing. Thankfully the owners are understanding enough to pay me to take the rad out a 2nd time.

So I finally get this truck all put back together with the correct bolts in the correct places when I find a small leak on the passenger side of the radiator. Turns out that someone had jammed a too long of a bolt into the mounting boss of the transmission cooler and ran it through the side tank and must have been sealling. There was no leak prior to disassembly so I never paid attention to the bolts I was removing. Thankfully the owners are understanding enough to pay me to take the rad out a 2nd time.

I did that once when I did a radiator and a horizontal egr cooler. I learned the hard way that the inner fender bolts are longer than the ones that hold the fan shroud on.

I had my 1st peek at a vmac on a 6.7. It was a 2013 f450. 2105 miles, 863 hours, 817 idle hours. Battery relocated under drivers door on the frame. Coolant hoses hacked into all over. Does not look easy to work on. I just did a dot inspection and service. Next bay over is a 2010 Acadia that windowed the block. I put the engine in and vacuumed the coolant system and it had a large leak. I found a piece of the block wedged in the radiator core. That must have made some cool noises.

Did a few more 6.7 EGR coolers this week.  Got a F-350 that's getting ball joints tomorrow and another that's getting some brakes and maintenance.  Outside is another 6.0 ambulance that needs some injectors.  They're really taking advantage of the powertrain warranty on this one. 

My GM said those v-mac compressors for 6.7s are in the neighborhood of $10,000.  We ordered a truck that's getting one. 

I am putting a long block 3.0l 2v Vulcan reman in a 96 Taurus, along with a new rad, all at the customers request on his own diag. He said it lost oil pressure and started rattling, time for a new engine. During teardown I found the cam sensor/ oil pump drive gear teeth spun off because the synchronizer got tight.

• Like 1

Burned 10 hours on cars all day today.  oil changes, tires, alignments, recalls, my truck racks are empty until I go in tomorrow and try to get caught up.  I really hate this new service manager.  I'm giving it one more week. 

Posted Image

My own heap today. Needed a right upper and the big heim-joint looking tie rod on the connecting link between the two spindles. Put all four balljoints and both outers on it

I need outers on mine pretty soon.  Not before we get a new alignment machine though.  Right now my toe is dead on judging by my awesome tire wear and I don't trust the one we have to give accurate measurements.  Did balljoints and the whole drag link about 50k ago, knowing the roads around here the balljoints are probably due again.

Today I put 3 injectors in an ambulance.  2, 6 and 8. It needs a full set but it's still under powertrain so I just picked the 3 worst and went with that.  :shrug:

The thing severely lacked power when cold but no one injector seemed like the primary cause.  It was quite tough to tell which weren't contributing properly..  #8 was a no click but it was the only one.  The rest seemed okay so I put my one test FICM in with the old non-inductive heat calibration.  That was all it took to find the "hidden" bad injectors.  On a cold roadtest #2 and #6 were dropping hard also. 

This thing has good fuel pressure too before anyone asks.  It's had a HFCM and a blue spring upgrade already.  The 3 injectors did it good, has plenty of power now. 

Also I calmed down a little bit today too.  I need to really think about what I am going to do. Whatever I decide to do I need to realize there's no way I'll have better equipment than I do now. 

No. The only thing I have is an old IDS disk. V41 I believe, would there be a way to copy them somehow?

I believe so. I got software that allows me to copy just about anything.

On that note... Does anyone happen to have a set of the last WDS discs laying around? I got a WDS with a messed up hard drive and my system disc is damaged.

There shouldn't be too many FICM calibrations.  For 05+ there are really only 2 that are of any use, the original non-heat and the latest and greatest(anything in between is basically useless).  Now 03 and 04 both use different files for whatever reason.  Either year will run on an 05+ cal but will throw a FICM incompatibility U code. For 05+ ARZ2AL11 is the latest inductive heat strategy.  The original non-heat AMZ2AL12 was known for making more power and better fuel mileage.  If I didn't already run a custom FICM tune I would choose ARZ2AL11 for the winter and AMZ2AL12 for the summer.  I ran AMZ2AL12 in the winter and even with new injectors it was pretty sluggish until warmed up. For summer time there's no need to stress the power supply with an inductive heat strategy.