What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I finished up installing subframe connectors on a 98 mustang, rolled a 6.7 in for a check engine light. P0299. Opened the hood and found a broken egr inlet flex joint and a melted intake tube. And of course the low fuel message is on with only 5 miles to E displayed.

And I got an 11 e350 with a junk trans and it needs valve seals. Both warranty of course.

- 2015 F550 w/ 8000 km for rear pads, rotors, calipers, backing plates, anchor plates, wheel seals ... mud isn't nice to play in, kids

- 2013 Escape 1.6 leaking oil from the HPFP mounting plate

- 2008 F350 with a bad hydroboost

Went in today and put a rear main seal and housing gasket in a 2006 Buick Lucerne, along with a steering gear, power steering hoses, oil pan reseal, and trans lines. Replaced intake gaskets also. Just need to set toe in the morning. Going to be gone Tuesday morning (job interview) and Wednesday for training and my advisor said she has 5 trucks coming in tomorrow.

Quite possibly my first retail 6.7L .

Nope...they declined...oh well...but they do want the oil changed and the old air filter back....

I'm enjoying being back on the heavy duty side of things... Different world, and bigger things to be broken.. Kenworth with C15 Acert that I want to adjust steering radius tighter, and a set of engine brakes I suspect isn't working, only feels half engine max engaging as no difference between 2 & 3. Finished up with a hydraulic motor and product pump for hauling crude oil before getting home, and next project is a new Western Star chassis with a National Crane.. It was rolled last summer, fixed, and the driveshaft let loose off the transmission and took out a lot of fuel, hydraulic, and electrical lines for the truck chasses and crane upper.. Apparently I'm the only one insane enough to tackle it, pictures will be a must during that job, lot of collateral damage.

Finishing up a retail 2012 F-550 getting ball joints, rear pinion seal, and a fuel system thanks to contaminated fuel. Customer also requested a plastic fuel tank, so we ordered up a Titan tank for it. Should have it wraped up tomorrow. Then I get to install my retail 6.7 long block. This truck came in over 2 months ago with a locked up engine. Customer wanted engine torn down to find exact cause of failure( spun rod bearings). I then waited 6 weeks for approval for this engine with this truck on my lift and engine torn down in my bay. Thankfully I capped all my fuel system components, just hoping everything goes well during reassembly.

2007 F550, customer got it down in Arizona. Must have gotten a good deal because it's getting the works. Head gaskets with ARP studs, oil cooler, bed plate gaskets, one exhaust manifold, found a broken valve spring while removing one of the broken exhaust bolts, hpop fitting and fixing a leaking fitting in the rear air ride. Pretty sweet unit, will get some pics when it's all done.

Well I finally got the old F-700 back on the road with a working speedo. I went on vacation 3 days last week, got back Thursday only to find out Blue Diamond never shipped the rotor, it's on backorder. So instead of taking any initiative and finding one my parts guy just ignores it, even though the truck is in one of my bays with the driveshaft out.Either way we were able to order a FUL21555 from International and it came in today. Much to my surprise the rotor and seal part numbers I found worked just fine. Sensor air gap was easily seen with the yoke out.  I didn't even need the damn seal as I found out. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had a new 14 escape no crank no start. No communication with pcm, abs and pscm. Ohmed dlc pins 6 and 14 got 120 ohms. Pcm disconnected still 120ohms. Ohmed from dlc to pcm 18k ohms on HS- Check out the backed out pin I found behind glove box. I reinstalled pin pluged in went to .7 ohms reinstalled trim and glove box went back to 18k ohms. I pulled side trim off and opened and closed the glove box found the glove box stop would hit the wire harness and pulled the pin out. I cut the wire on both sides of the connector and overlayed around it secured the harness away so glove box stop wont touch it.

escapeharness3.jpg

Got this 04 F-550 sanitation truck in here. Won't start and they just want the bare minimum done so they can ship it to the auction.

Cobbled together a working ficm, still won't light off. Took a fuel sample and it looks like milk. No idea what the hell is in this trucks fuel but it won't combust. Got the okay to drop the tank, clean out the lines, change filters and see what it does.

Whatever is in this fuel is heavier than diesel. After running the pump and getting about 6-7 gallons out I started getting relatively clean fuel. Pulled the fuel rail plugs on the back of the heads (not easy) and flushed a bunch of crap out of the rails. Put filters in it, drained a ton of water/tank delam from the HFCM and it reluctantly started. Clouded the shop out but whatever it is doesn't smell like much and evaporated quickly. I have no idea.

Telephone companies 4200 for some maintenance, batteries and a state inspection. Just under CDL weight so I can still inspect (and drive) it. 2003 with 8600 miles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Working on a 6.2L F-250 getting a front engine cover. The other guy on my side put a tensioner on it a few months ago not really noticing old one hole sawed quite a bit of material away. A lot more than just a pinhole oil leak.  This truck is jacked to the sky also and that is getting old.  Should be a few hour job that's kicking my ass.

In my other bay I have another gasser F250 that we sold balljoints, brakes, basically everything is loose in the front end.  This truck is oilfield garbage and it's more hammered than my brain.  

And we got a call yesterday from a local independent that wants us to extract a few broken manifold studs from the RH side of a 5.4L 3V F-150.  That's fine with me based on what they chose to tell us.  Didn't say anything about already putting a Dorman manifold on it, definitely didn't tell us that they already pre-drilled all 3 of the broken studs unsuccessfully accomplishing anything.  It is not a pretty sight, I had another guy start the job so I could get to the point of extracting and when I saw that today I was almost sick. With 2 of the fucked up bolt holes right behind the spring tower there's just no way I can fix anything the way it is.  It's going to need 3 threaded inserts and I'm not doing it unless it can be done right. 

Told the service manager I need to pull the cab and jack the engine up high enough to clear the spring tower....and honestly that may not even be enough so it's getting quoted a head just incase.

Oh and we hired another guy this week.  That puts us at 6 total in the shop now.  It's a rat race and I'll probably still be working on all 3 of these fucking things by the end of next week.

Got a 2010 e ambulance with cyl 1 missfire pulled valve cover off found both rocker arms off and intake pushrod bent so bad it won't come thru rocker box. Lucky fucking me

Budget van in my bay with a new engine ready to go in. 2009 dmax fuel system ok'd. 2014 fuel system full of metal. Only 9000 miles on it. Ambulance outside with a destroyed front suspension and steering. T case apart on a 2011 waiting for parts. Finished up a dmax engine and fuel system replacement on a 2011 today. Have 4 I haven't looked at yet. I am still worried about the low oil prices. There have been a bunch of layoffs here, but the broken trucks keep rolling in.