What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Finished a 2005 E350 15 passenger van,49k miles, all new rotors,calipers,hoses and pads.Everything rusted to shit, all original, don't know how they stopped this thing.

One of our"operators" rear ended a van yesterday and was towed in. 2008 F450 safety truck, gonna need a stack 'o coolers and assorted lines and hoses. Even blew the belt tensioner apart. The passenger frame rail is a bit tweaked upwards so probably a trip to the body shop for that and sheet metal. Fun times,fun times.

WP_20150716_12_30_16_Pro.jpg

Just finished a 6.7L that was stuck in Engine Idle Only, took me 2 tries to get the procedure correct. Still getting 14e03's in. Turbo oil feed tube leak is currently in my bay. Waiting on approval for retail 6.4L bed plates and a 6L drop in.

Edit: My warranty oil feed tube just turned into a retail turbo, dirt ingestion and the impeller is loose, touches the housing and is pushing oil everywhere, which is most of my oil leak now that I have it apart.

My sales manager came to me today, to give me the VIN for my new truck forthcoming. It is 1FT7W2BT3GEA54406. Any one of you ever seen what the OASIS looks like on a vehicle not even built yet?!!! He even told me there's a way of tracking its build progress online. Hmmmm, never been through this before so if any one of you can enlighten me, I'm all ears.

Yeah when I found my trucks VIN it wasn't built yet, just a blank oasis.  It was listed in an extended inventory for a dealer almost 300 miles away.  I didn't look much after that, once it was built everything showed up.

What I found odd (and maybe someone knows why) was that my truck, a 15 built in May 2015, is listed on HVBOM as a Job 1.  It wasn't even a week after I took delivery of mine that we started receiving 2016 super duties in.  I thought Job 1 trucks were the first ones built for that model year? 

Okay, that's very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a graph like that in all the years I've worked on these trucks.

In the shop right now.  Retail headgaskets and coolers on an 04 F-250. Next to it is a 02 F-550 7.3.  Has a hole in the RH up-pipe, turbo compressor is dusted, borderline fuel inlet restriction and front swaybar endlinks /bushings are blown out, on the road test yesterday it left me stuck and had to get towed back.  Only made 150 psi ICP cranking after it died, thinking IPR, oil not aerated or overfull.  After it cooled off it ran again fine.  They left me a oem starter to put in it too, that should have been my clue not to drive it. 

In the drive lane is an 04 F-450 6.0 I dragged in that has low ICP.  This truck would reluctantly start and run at like 3-400 RPMs but that was it, no throttle response, wouldn't move in any gear.  IPR was pegged at 84% and ICP was barely making 500psi.  I've never seen one do this.  Swapped in a tester IPR and no change.  Air check tomorrow.  Pump maybe?

Outside is my favorite F-550 bucket truck that needs inspected, has brake line leaking, fuel filler neck leaking and needs some rear tires.  Last I checked this thing did have a rear pinion seal leaking too, I may call that also.  There's a few other trucks out there too that need some minor shit.  This is about as busy as I can remember.  In the middle of the week there were seriously no parking spots around the front of the shop.  I could see customers coming in for service getting irritated because the whole place was clogged with trucks and buses.

These things won't stop coming in faster than I can get them done.  Got a 12 F-550 service body doing some weird stuff with the transmission. The first time I looked at it OSS was dropping periodically.  Now it comes in and OSS has a terrible signal and it had all the TCM codes I can imagine.  Cleared them out and KOEO passes every time. Wiggled all the wires I could see while watching voltage pids and can't find it outside the trans.  Tried to drive it and I was in for a big surprise, going about 50mph climbing a hill it slammed 1st gear in, over revved and stalled out.  Coasted to a stop, it restarted and I finished the climb and stopped to turn around.  No TCM DTCs. Started back down the hill and the same thing happened so I coasted it all the way down and damn near back to the shop with the engine off.  Got close, started it up again and it was defaulted to 5th gear.  Can't even pull the little hill up into the shop.  Shut it off, Park indicator is not lit up and it won't crank.  No damn TCM DTCs, TCM is online.  One time amongst all this I even pulled out a DPF pressure sensor DTC that came out of nowhere. 

Took a small sample of fluid, it's cooked. I don't have a hold on what that one is doing.  I gotta drop the pan but that's gonna be a weekend deal. 

Also got a 12 F-550 roll back in for a turbo today, they need this ASAP.  And another 6.0 F-450 with running issues and a tranny concern too. 

Keith, any experience with State Shuttle? They're based out of Lake Hopatcong/Sparta area.

I think I have seen a van but a loooooong time ago. I am surprised as they are much closer to me than you. AHH! Wait a minute. I am at a stealership. Almost forgot my place there. :stooges:

Matt, Notice the color of the coolant? I have seen a few Econolines come in with plugged OIL coolers and blown EGR coolers with ELC installed. That blows that theory or I suspect the clowns are not fully flushing the gold coolant out of the system. Mixing the two coolants QUICKLY depletes the anti-corrosion package and actually accelerates cooling system corrosion. Two of mine were ambulances too. I advised the shop manager at the township that owned them and he shrugged it off like I didn't know what I was talking about. 

Yes it was ELC coolant which was flushed out at the end of the repair.

I can't blame that as the root cause however. The rubber tranny lines on the front of the radiator were leaking so badly that the almost half the rad core was plugged with oil and debris (not to mention the whole front of the engine). This caused the fan clutch wires to get sucked in and chopped to pieces.

Can you imagine a 22 passenger bus with no fan clutch in the summer? I bet this thing got a little hot for that EGR cooler to handle. It did melt the turbine also but surprisingly didnt take out the headgaskets or crack a head......yet.

• 2 weeks later...

- 2011 F150 5.4 for VCT solenoids

- 2013 F150 3.5 cab off for timing chains, tensioners and phasers. also pinion seals and struts

- 2007 Escape for A/C lines and a condenser core

- 2013 F150 e-locker 9.75 for rear end bearings

Got an 06 F-250 here for 8 injectors. Also working on brakes and rotors on an 11 F-450.

That damn 03 F-550 bucket truck is still here too, been here almost 3 weeks, I can't get to it and they won't schedule around it. It's been non stop

I wonder what the shop owner will do with this pig.  (it's shiny!)

2009 E450 cutaway school bus. 109k

Fool just purchased it for his private fleet.  I guess the 5 gallons of antifreeze behind the driver's seat wasn't a clue.

Coolant blowing out the degas bottle, horrible smell of coolant and it looks like a space shuttle on acceleration.  ECT EOT correlation codes, turbo under boost codes,FICM performance code, multiple cylinder contribution codes. Engine oil on stick smells badly burnt.  Has uneven cranking cadence and runs rough for the first few seconds of hot running, then the rocket cloud when you gun it. 

It's been a week of vehicles that we are giving huge estimates on.  Some are biting, good for a change. 

I got an 06 or 07 f550 that has a whopping 5 psi of icp while cranking. Has base oil flow and the pressure gauge on the dash moves. Put air to it quick and commanded the valve shut. Can hear a massive air leak.

Turns out it was an ipr valve with a hole punched in the screen. Put a different ipr in it and it builds icp. It's got an overboost and underboost code in it along with a small leak that I think is dummy plugs. I explained all of this to our "service manager" aka parts manager. All he called the customer and told them we needed to pull the oil cooler and replace the screen, replace stand pipes and dummy plugs, replace 1 injector. Never bothered to say anything that I suspected a stuck turbo. I didn't know that and now I'm in the doghouse cause I opened up the turbo and can't put it back together. Along with the fact that no one bothered to ask what gaskets were needed.

Had an 06 E-450 V10 bus dropped off last night with a nice long trail of coolant through our parking lot. Guess it threw the belt about 5 miles up the road and they just drove it here. The aux A/C compressor looks new but it's locked up tight. Not real sure how I'm going to address this deal. None of it is Ford and if the compressor failed that fast it's going to need the rear a/c flushed.

It was 2.5 gallons low on coolant too and had CHT over temp codes in memory. I'm not sure how I can tell if it warped heads without driving it. I can idle for a little while and it has no signs of using anti-freeze.

I opened up the turbo and can't put it back together

What's that all about?

Unison ring was cracked straight through the slot. It would have just kept spreading, Plus I would have had to clean the shit out of where it slides together. They got me a new turbo.

I suppose I probably should have used the term refused. But I told them that it couldn't go back together. I figure I saved them an intercooler at the minimum.