What's In Your Bay - Part IV

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The shortblock showed up today for the 6.4 thats in a million pieces around my area so much so I can hardly get to my boxes.  Behind that is the ambulance I put coolers in.  After letting the batteries juice up a little bit today I got it running long enough to see fuel pouring out from the front of the left head.  Apparently I disturbed the lines enough to cause the banjo washers to not want to hold any longer( why the left side I'll never understand)...... but what do you expect for 250k?  This is the ambulance that the last time it was in I was pulling it outside after cleaning the turbo and a PS line blew out (record shortest roadtest ever).

Outside I'm working on a 2011 F-250. Another dealer just put a left front caliper on this thing.  For whatever reason I came to find there is a shit load of air in the system.  After a half dozen service bleeds and a half gallon of brake fluid all is well.  I also had to pull the reductant tank for a pump low pressure concern along with the temperature sending unit not reading correctly.  The pickups are fairly easy to get the tank out of on the ground. 

I honestly don't know how you guys do this diesel shit all day long day in and day out.  I've never spent so much time at work and turned so little hours.  My service manager really pissed me off bad today.  He says to me "these diesels might be neat and fun to you but we're not making any money, you're not turning any hours"  Last time I checked our diesel labor rate is $20 an hour more than our car labor rate so fucking guess what, we aren't equipped to do this shit, we don't have anything special to do this shit, all we have one guy that isn't the highest paid in the shop who wants to do it.  How does that not equate to being profitable?  I get shit done and it doesn't come back but why would that matter to an asshole that sits on the internet 7 hours a day and beats his other techs out the door at 4:30? 

I've got a feeling I'm going to be changing careers by the time I'm 30.  I am quite discouraged at this point

• Like 1

Long block for 2009 6.4L. Retail, chipped, EGR cooler delete DPF delete. Melt down on #4. WooHoo. What makes this one even sweeter is that I had the cab off not to long ago fixing exhaust leaks off the turbo.

Finished my shortblock today.  I'm still very leary on 6.4s.  They've burned me in the past with oil leaks, fuel leaks and coolant leaks upon reassembly.  You name it and I learned the lesson the hard way.  Basically if I've seen it leak before, then I'm replacing it.

The shortblock is warranty but I upsold exhaust manifolds and a RH up-pipe.

Also I had a little talk with the managers today and got my concerns taken care of. $6 more and hour and a 40 hour guarantee.  I am not going to lie I have never heard of anyone who is flat rate get a guarantee that high.  The numbers don't lie, I am making the shop a lot of money. 

Right now I've got a 6.0 ambulance that needs a fan clutch and a turbo cleaning.  I really want to upsell a main harness on this thing but I'm not sure if they'll go for it. 

Posted Image

This time it's piston #4. Noticed the same scuffing on the left side of cylinder near the top. I wonder if this is a cooling issue. This engine has broken thermostats and front cover cavitation. It is also chipped with EGR and DPF deletes.

It's back......the new water pump I put in with the long block only lasted 400 KM before spitting the impeller into the cover and overheating the engine. Luckily the guys tuner set the alarm and he shut it down before causing any more damage.

It also had a failed fuel cooler pump and the system was empty, looked like it purged instead of the engine cooling system. Hopefully SPW likes my story on how the water pump failure caused the failed fuel cooler pump.

I did my first 6.7 waterpump today. Not the funnest job I've ever done. 

Yesterday I had a lovely 6.7 cold side duct blown apart.  You know, the one that's a 3-4 day direct ship from the manufacturer and the one I told parts to stock because I've changed 3 or 4 now.  Yeah well guess what, I had a "pre-owned" one laying around and that truck is not here anymore waiting for the damn thing to show up. 

Gotta love this fleet of ambulances.  Got one towed in yesterday half torn apart.  Secondary tensioner pulley froze up, threw the belt, lassoed the idler pulley standoff and snap. 

Got authorized for a front cover, water pump, both rad hoses, all 5 idlers, 2 tensioners/belts and the fan blades.  Done this evening and back on the road tomorrow.

Waiting for authorization on a 6.4 high pressure pump/exhaust manifolds.  Got a 6.0 F-series hot no-start and 6.7 pickup fuel tank that's sucked in.  Pile it on.

6.0 front cover.jpg

Finished up the customer pay HPFP. Up sold exhaust manifolds and wound up finding the horizontal cooler starting to leak. Started on the hot no start, dummy plugs are the worst I've ever seen. Up sold 8 injectors and a turbo cleaning. The truck has sat for a year and it needs some TLC. Word is that 2 ambulances are in need of some injectors, not sure when they'll get here.

I once knew a guy that worked at a cemetery. He had 600 people under him.

Those guys that drive those "Port-A-Potty" trucks. I hear they have to take a lot of shit with their work.

Those guys that drive those "Port-A-Potty" trucks. I hear they have to take a lot of shit with their work.
BA-dum. Tisss! Lol

It's to my understanding they have to go through this training:

TO: All Employees 

Subject: Special High Intensity Training 

In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees welltrained through our progrom of Special High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.). We are trying to give employees more S.H.I.T. than anyone else.

If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the job, please see your manager. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T. list, and our managers are especially skilled at seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle.

Employees who don’t take their S.H.I.T. will be placed in Departmental Employee Evaluation Programs (D.E.E.P S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T. seriously will have to go to Eployee Attitude Training (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.). Since our managers took S.H.I.T. before they were promoted, they don’t have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, and are all full of S.H.I.T. already.

If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be interested in a job training others. We can add your name to our Basic Understanding Lecture List. (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.).

Those who are full of B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T. will get the S.H.I.T.jobs, and can apply for promotion to Director Of Intensity Programming (D.I.P. S.H.I.T.).

If you have further questions, please direct them to our Head Of Training, Special High Intensity Training (H.O.T.S.H.I.T.).

Thank you, 

Boss In General, Special High Intensity Training (B.I.G. S.H.I.T.)

- See more at: http://www.theurbancountry.com/2005/06/special-high-intensity-training-memo.html#sthash.ibtgim43.dpuf

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Two 2010 F350's that are making oil. First one is waiting on approval for HPFP cause I found no other leaks. The other is waiting to get in for diagnosis. 

Got a 1993 E-350 getting a new starter and solenoid, a 2008 F-350 that I'm reinstalling the fuel tank after being relined( it also got a complete fuel system), and a 2011 6.7 that snapped the crankshaft right in front of the 2nd main bearing. I pulled the engine out friday and got the oil pans off, now hotline wants me to pull the heads also and inspect for piston to head contact.

That reads "they want to know if I can get away with just slamming a crankshaft in it"

Well they did say at that time that a short block replacement would be needed at least. Now that I have the heads off, I have found that #1 and #5 pistons made contact with the cylinder heads. Performing a Cost Cap told me to replace with a long block, now I'm awaiting prior approval.  At least it didn't have damaged glow plugs  :whew: .

Got the oil out but it took a while.  I manually flush as much as I can before I start the simple green flush.  This thing was so bad I don't know how it would have faired without first clearing the rad, heater core, waterpump and opening both block drains.  The initial amount of solid sludge I cleaned out was atleast 3 quarts.  With the t-stat removed I'll run the engine for a half hour or so, shut it off, let it sit a minute and suck the oil layer out of the degas bottle with the coolant flush machine.  Did this 3 or 4 times occassionally adding more simple green and water.  Then when most of the oil seems to be out I'll nose down the truck while it's running, pull the rad petcock and stick a hose in the degas to keep a fresh water supply to the engine.  5 minutes or so of that will have the water running clear. 

Tomorrow I'll VC-9 it and reinstall the thermostat. 

Oh and another ambulance showed up today.  08 E-350, needs injectors and it's making a weird sound from the vacuum pump.  I guess it's the pump, I don't think it could be anything else.