What's In Your Bay - Part V

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Well my cranking RPM is up to 220-240 where as the weak starter I replaced was kicking out about 120-130. Most 6.0s I see don't push much past 180-190 if I remember correctly. I was chasing an intermittent hard start cold and the only thing I was able to find was my RPM not reading until a half second after the engine was cranking. It was definitely cranking too slow and drawing too much load. I even found my ICP was a full 500 psi before RPM even registered.

I know the 6.0 and 6.4 starters appear nearly identical on the exterior (the bendix is different but the 6.4 also has less room for starter removal) I've been wondering why the differences for some time now so I figured I'll give it a shot. I definitely have the fastest cranking 6.0 I've ever heard. Whether good or bad I'll find out. It lights off like a rocket now

image.jpg

Last time I checked, a 6.0L engine's compression ratio is 18.0:1 while a 6.4L engine's is 17.0:1. Wouldn't the lower compression ratio have something to do with the faster cranking (less resistance to spinning). Even more interesting is the 6.7L compression ratio is only 16.0:1. Anyone ever notice how much faster a 6.7L spins over than a 6.4L?

I replaced a 6.7 starter not long ago for a slow cranking concern and the new one was able to produce 195 RPM on a cold engine with good juiced up batteries. I agree that the 6.4s seem to be the fastest cranking of the bunch, hence trying the starter to see just how fast a 6.0 can spin over.

Replaced 2 leaking torque converters on 2008 F350's. Both have  214,000ish KM and build dates were pretty close. Both were leaking at the weld around the pump drive. Lost a blend door motor on a 2009 F250 thanks to Youtube. Got some shift solenoids on Torqueshift6 lined up for tomorrow. 

I'll take anything to break up the monotony of day to day crap. We've been really slow this month.  Finished up a 6.0 stud job yesterday on an 07 F-550 and today was left with not a whole lot to do.I have no idea where this customer came from with this 14 F-550 dump with 1100 miles on it. The selling dealer is a truck shop in the city and the body company is close to us but they don't want to work on it. They are the ones actually paying for this repair which I don't exactly understand.

Here is the leak, red fluid down the center of the engine.  A week ago the body company says they can't find the leak and it must be power steering fluid.  It's already been back there twice for the same leak and they "fixed" it the first time and couldn't find it the second time. 

Red fluid dripping down the center of an F-550 6.7 dump

Here is the offender, the threaded fitting on the inlet line is leaking from out around the threads.  Verified with a mirror.

No easy way to get a pipe wrench on that fitting which was found to be a little too loose

The culprit

The leak is obvious by the dispersed thread sealant

Removing the shroud and stator is half the battle. 

Surpisingly a well thought out setup

Secondary belt removed

Had parts get me some of this just to be sure.

The correct sealant for the application

What I found was this fitting wasn't properly tightened, being pipe threads just snug isn't going to do it.  No amount of thread sealant will help a loose fitting.  The PTO fluid which just looked like power steering fluid dissolved it right away. 

With the PTO out in the open I could get a good crank on the fitting with a pipe wrench

Repositioning the PTO allowed for better access to the leaking fitting

New sealant applied and the fitting tightened a little more than snug. No more leak

A tighter fitting and more even sealant application will do the trick

And that made up most of my boring ass day. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's way cooler than anything I've had in a long time.

I got an 03 6.0 with a stuck turbo that blew a cac tube apart on the road test.

An 04 6.0 with headgaskets that are bad enough that it pressurizes at idle. The system held 25 inches of vacuum for 20 minutes on a cold motor. Also needs a ficm, 2 injectors and an oil filter base for a leaky anti-drain back valve.

Had 2 6.7's with the good ole p0401 code today, but those both left for now.

Yesterday I had a 13 Explorer police interceptor no one could figure out while I was off on Thursday (jury duty).  TPMS light is on.  TPMS system is faulted.  Sensors won't train but the tool beeps seeing the sensors okay.

The only time I've ever seen this was when the customer installed wheels and sensors off of a different model year vehicle with different frequency sensors.  This was not the case so I checked oasis real fast and found an SSM related to police vehicles and RFI. 

I figured I'd check the TPMS module for its location related to any of the radio equipment.  What I found was an unplugged pigtail and no module in sight.  The module is located in a different spot for police vehicles with the console delete option. I suspect is it is bolted to the back of a trim piece below the radio and this piece was removed for this vehicle to install the aftermarket console.  This console is a nightmare to remove also. 

I found out later the tire pressure light has been on since 3 miles after they received the vehicle.  It has 30k on it now.   

Front line used car?

And here I thought I was working on some weird shit this week

It needed a clutch and alternator. Theres a promo (Fireball Run) essentially a cross country event to help locating missing children. They were one of the participants. Another participant was our state representative, driving a chamber of commerce vehicle from here (thats where they were recommended to us). They had their own crew (automotive students and the instructor out of New York). My participation was loaning them tools that they didn't have (clutch alignment tool). They worked at night. They were trying to use a trans jack, but the trans was thin. I told the instructor to just have a couple of the big boys that he had to just hoss it out.

Yesterday I had a 13 Explorer police interceptor no one could figure out while I was off on Thursday (jury duty). TPMS light is on. TPMS system is faulted. Sensors won't train but the tool beeps seeing the sensors okay.The only time I've ever seen this was when the customer installed wheels and sensors off of a different model year vehicle with different frequency sensors. This was not the case so I checked oasis real fast and found an SSM related to police vehicles and RFI.I figured I'd check the TPMS module for its location related to any of the radio equipment. What I found was an unplugged pigtail and no module in sight. The module is located in a different spot for police vehicles with the console delete option. I suspect is it is bolted to the back of a trim piece below the radio and this piece was removed for this vehicle to install the aftermarket console. This console is a nightmare to remove also.I found out later the tire pressure light has been on since 3 miles after they received the vehicle. It has 30k on it now.

That reminds me of a new 08 Expedition that came from a local police dept with an airbag lite on.It had a no communication code and when I accessed the module it was missing. Just the harness laid there on the floor. It seems the installer of the police center console removed it to make the console fit; we sent it back to the PD and never heard another word.

I've had 3 abulances in this week. Trans concerns , coolant leaks, airbag light, service work. These are all gm 4500 dura max rigs. I will take an e series any day over these things. I weighed 1, and it was 4600 on the front axle with nobody in it. The max gawr is 4600. I can only get them to -.5 degrees of camber on the shitty independent front suspension. They are a disaster front to back. Also I thought broken 6.4 dipstick tubes made a mess. I had a 550 in for low fuel pressure concern and the dipstick tube is broken off and the whole truck is covered underneath. Smelled like it was ready to go up in flames at any moment. Had a beat up 96 plow truck brought in with a starter problem, a gm 4500 that has wiring issues and service. This 4500 has had the chassis stretched, and they weighed it at over 21000 lbs. the gvwr on the door is 17,500. Have 4 f150 tricks in for dot inspections and service. Been a while since I had some enjoyable work, but it is payin the bills.

only thing this week of any merit, 2002 K3500 crew cab dually duramax, replacing all brake lines and fuel supply and return lines plus fuel cooler. Also doing rear brake hoses, metal rotted, and engine fan drive for loose bearing.  Only 50,000 miles on it.  

GM knows of these POS lines they use, they now sell complete set of pre-bent coated lines for $153 list (I see a major recall coming).  Fuel line set are $250 list, and they use 1/2" feed, 3/8" return and come with all holders and hardware.  The stupid flex lines to the sender are more than twice as expensive as the whole line set.

told customer 6 months ago they were rotten.  they declined work, had another shop "certify" it safe.  She blew a brake line with 6 people and her 8 horse trailer on it in rural Maine 3 weeks ago. 

We've probably done two dozen or more 1999-2005 GM truck brake lines and fuel lines.  Now that GM sells them inline tube is sure going to lose some sales. 

Let me tell you what WASN'T in my bay this morning. The transmission cross member, front driveshaft and skid plate from the truck I have the transmission out of. BTW the truck was still up on the hoist and the transmission was on a stand in front of the truck. I found then in the metal bin. :crazy:

Hahaha wow that is messed up. I'm glad we're small and there's not bunch of people around after hours messing with shit. If I can't find something it's my own fault.

The town car limo has a screwed up check ball as per TSB 09-20-14. I'm really praying that's all. The biggest clue something was amiss was when it stalled out in manual 2 this morning. That kinda made me scratch my head for a second.

Look what i found sitting in an intake port during an engine tear down on a 2011 6.7.image.jpg

The socket must have fallen in 70 000 kms ago when the first engine was replace. The truck now has 135 000 kms.